Free Pool School

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I’m giving a free one hour Pool School at Slate, 54 West 21st Street on Monday September 9 and September 16 at 4:00 pm. All are welcome.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody who doesn't take advantage of this, and is in the area, is an idiot. Mark is one of the top instructors in the country, and is part of the up and coming SPF National Pool School Tour! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Director, The SPF National Pool School Tour

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for the kind words. We will be doing this again next Monday at 4:00 pm. All are welcome

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i have taken 2 private lessons with mark
it was worth every penny ....:smile:
he knows his stuff
can transmit it in a way you can get it
i would PAY again for lessons
for free i would pay off everyone else so i could get him one on one
MARK THANK YOU FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO HELP MY GAME
Larry
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Free Pool Lesson

Tomorrow from 4-5:00 at Slate, 54 West 21st Street is another one hour free lesson. All levels welcome. Please tell your friends.

Thank you Larry. I appreciate it and am glad I could help your game.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
i wish this kind of stuff happened in my area.

I'm reading a great book right now....Bounce, by Matthew Syed. It's about the science of successfully mastering complicated skills, from sports to music to business, etc...

Your comment resonates with the theme of the book, which shows how every champion or worldclass performer has two things in common when it comes to how they became successful -- opportunity and practice/experience. Young champions, 15 to 20 years old, are merely the beneficiaries of advantageous opportunities and about 10 years of dedicated practice and experience.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area that provides certain learning/training opportunities, or as a child happen to have parents that provide certain opportunities (as with Tiger Woods, Bill Gates, Mozart, Joe Bonnamassa, etc...), you'll have an amazing advantage over the average person when it comes to mastering an instrument, a sport, or a game. Of course, you must have passion/desire, dedication to practice. Stick with it for about 10,000 hours, typically about 10 years, and you will reach a worldclass level.

Imagine how many children have had opportunities provided, but lacked the interest or desire to stick with it. Yet a kid somewhere else, maybe right down the street or in another town, would've stuck with it and become the next world champion golfer or chess player or pool player or whatever...but the opportunity wasn't available or provided.

Last edited:

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm reading a great book right now....Bounce, by Matthew Syed. It's about the science of successfully mastering complicated skills, from sports to music to business, etc...

Your comment resonates with the theme of the book, which shows how every champion or worldclass performer has two things in common when it comes to how they became successful -- opportunity and practice/experience. Young champions, 15 to 20 years old, are merely the beneficiaries of advantageous opportunities and about 10 years of dedicated practice and experience.

If you are fortunate enough to live in an area that provides certain learning/training opportunities, or as a child happen to have parents that provide certain opportunities (as with Tiger Woods, Bill Gates, Mozart, Joe Bonnamassa, etc...), you'll have an amazing advantage over the average person when it comes to mastering an instrument, a sport, or a game. Of course, you must have passion/desire, dedication to practice. Stick with it for about 10,000 hours, typically about 10 years, and you will reach a worldclass level.

Imagine how many children have had opportunities provided, but lacked the interest or desire to stick with it. Yet a kid somewhere else, maybe right down the street or in another town, would've stuck with it and became the next world champion golfer or chess player or pool player or whatever...but the opportunity wasn't available or provided.

I agree with that, its all about getting the right training and competing against those world class players. Having the right connections early on makes this easier if you have the willpower. People tend to play to their competitions skill level over a long period of time.

PS -- Jim Collins put out a pretty good series on why businesses are successful, I think the names of some of the series is like Good to Great and Great by choice. Also Zero to One by Peter Theil is pretty good as well.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closest one to you Mike, will be next month in Chicago...Oct. 21-24. You should come...I still have a couple spots open for that Tour Stop!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Any of this national pool school tour going to be close to Indiana?

r/DCP

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
surffisher2a...If you're interested, there will an SPF National Pool School Tour Stop in Charlotte NC in Feb. 2020.

Scott Lee

I saw that and considered it, but I know I can't keep up physically shooting pool for 8+ hours a day 4 days straight. I wouldn't be able to walk past day 2. I just started down the path of taking the game seriously so and wanting to improve so I am not sure starting with such an intensive program would do me much good. I personally feel like I need a couple 3 -4 hour lessons so I can practice what I learn between them.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member

PS -- Jim Collins put out a pretty good series on why businesses are successful, I think the names of some of the series is like Good to Great and Great by choice. Also Zero to One by Peter Theil is pretty good as well.

I like Malcolm Gladwell's books also, especially "Outliers: The Story of Success", and "Blink -- The Power of Thinking Without Thinking".

For anyone that wants to understand how to develop a skill/talent, a great read is "The Little Book of Talent", by Daniel Coyle.

The quickest way to learn/develop any skill is to first learn how we learn.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Closest one to you Mike, will be next month in Chicago...Oct. 21-24. You should come...I still have a couple spots open for that Tour Stop!

Scott Lee

Wow, how about that! Scott Lee invited me to come. Whodathunk that would have happened???

Scott,
I wont be there in Chicago. I haven't played for a few months. But with the cool/cold weather right around the corner I imagine I will start practicing again. If/When I do and you are going to be in the Indiana area maybe you can stop by for a few hours again.

r/DCP

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slate is in NYC, where PBIA/SPF National Pool School Tour Master Instructor Mark Finkelstein is from. Mark is an excellent instructor.

Scott Lee

Don't know where slate is but wish it was near San Antonio.