If you had ~$60 for one ‘beginner’ DVD...

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

Like the title says: I’ve got right at $60, and am looking for one good instructional video (DVD) for a beginner. I’ll eventually build a library but right now I’m looking for a single source to get started. I prefer a video because I want to see what’s going on rather than read :smile:

So, if you had $60, what vid would you get for yourself if you were pretty much a beginner?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, I meant to mention DVD or download and watch, like Tor Lowry’s material. But keep in mind I need something for a noobie :)

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://www.teachmepool.com/Products.htm
pool 101 i dont remember that much...teach me pool does a tremendous job in the material he produces
but pool 202 is a tremendous source of information in one dvd.
combined they are $30.......leaves you $30 for/ towards a one hour lesson with an instructor which i highly recommend

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://www.teachmepool.com/Products.htm
pool 101 i dont remember that much...teach me pool does a tremendous job in the material he produces
but pool 202 is a tremendous source of information in one dvd.
combined they are $30.......leaves you $30 for/ towards a one hour lesson with an instructor which i highly recommend

I've never seen this website before, but looks like great products! :thumbup:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all :)

I bought the Jerry Briesath 3 DVD set. Looking forward to it! Depending, I may buy the “Teach Me Pool 101 & 202” set, as my youngest son is learning along with me and I’ll want something for him that goes at a slow and easy pace.

Regardless, I’m confident that I couldn’t have gone wrong with the Briesath DVDs and am anxious for them to arrive.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you all :)

I bought the Jerry Briesath 3 DVD set. Looking forward to it! Depending, I may buy the “Teach Me Pool 101 & 202” set, as my youngest son is learning along with me and I’ll want something for him that goes at a slow and easy pace.

Regardless, I’m confident that I couldn’t have gone wrong with the Briesath DVDs and am anxious for them to arrive.

Thanks for the update
It’s nice to know the op read the replies...:thumbup:
Good luck with your game

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the update
It’s nice to know the op read the replies...:thumbup:
Good luck with your game

Thank you!

And that’s a small pet peeve of mine; I normally read the entire thread before posting and I always try to come back and give kudos :)

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
I know I am going to get a lot of heat for this suggestion.....

But for an absolute new person being introduced to pool playing, this DVD has a lot of good info and good camera work.
This would be in addition to the other great suggestions, not a stand alone product. Totally for Newbies.

***Pay No Attention to the Used Car Salesman Who Talks Too Much.***

Mike Sigel’s Perfect Pool 3-DVD Set

Last edited:

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know I am going to get a lot of heat for this suggestion.....

But for an absolute new person being introduced to pool playing, this DVD has a lot of good info and good camera work.
This would be in addition to the other great suggestions, not a stand alone product. Totally for Newbies.

***Pay No Attention to the Used Car Salesman Who Talks Too Much.***

Mike Sigel’s Perfect Pool 3-DVD Set

Thank you for the suggestion!

I’ll definitely look into it. We’re going through Briesath’s DVDs and we’ve got our hands full, no question about it :)

It’s silly probably, but I still can’t seem to find what I feel is the ‘correct’ grip on my cue... I may put up a thread and ask if I exhaust the search and still can’t find something else to try.

JackOfNoTrades

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The correct grip is a perfect cradle!

Thank you! My problem is I’m not sure how tightly to hold it :confused:

I’ve read the ‘baby bird’ analogy, but it’s hard to relate to that. Then I’ve read where you’re supposed to essentially hold it so lightly that you let the cue do its thing without dropping it, but when I try that it feels so loose that I don’t have control! :eek:

I’m a-workin’ on it though. Truth is I’ve shot pool on and off for years, have always sucked, and now that I’ve got a home table I want to build my skill set from the ground up.

Thanks everyone!!!

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Setup an iPhone or video camera from the side and then from the back to see how your stroke is.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Zero X Billiards is Tor Lowry's website to buy his material. There are some great bargains on there for digital downloads. I am pretty sure you can get an entire video series for like 30 bucks.