My experience with GO-2

mrgoob

Registered
I wanted to try a carbon fiber shaft and didn't like any that I had hit so far. Spoke with then US rep Daniel Mcmillin and ordered/paid for a shaft June 2. Wanted the same length as my current shaft, same diameter or little smaller. 10 weeks later shaft arrives ( three- four weeks later than I had been told).

Without measuring I can see it is shorter and thicker. Measuring confirms this. Daniel dodges all calls/text messages. To his credit, Goran of GO-2 does answer and says he will replace, just ship it back to the Netherlands ($24). Says his employee must have changed the length. Tells me Daniel is no longer associated with him. I don't want to chance getting another shaft that I am not happy with so I decide to exchange it for a break shaft. What can go wrong there right?

I send it back and request a 5/16x18 joint break shaft. I had an old Meucci butt and figured it would work fine. Five weeks later I receive the break shaft and it has a piloted joint. Up until now, I did not know what a piloted joint was but I do now! So the butt has a flat face and the shaft is piloted. Goran says "just find a cue maker and they can fix it for you; why didn't you tell me it wasn't piloted?" The break shaft is supposed to be 13mm and it is 12.8. Seems dimensions are not adhered to at least in the two shafts I received.

So here I am with a shaft I have overpaid for and now I have to find a cue maker to fix. I have learned a couple things. I know what a piloted joint is and I won't do business with Goran or anyone else out of the country again. Still playing with my maple shaft.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wanted to try a carbon fiber shaft and didn't like any that I had hit so far. Spoke with then US rep Daniel Mcmillin and ordered/paid for a shaft June 2. Wanted the same length as my current shaft, same diameter or little smaller. 10 weeks later shaft arrives ( three- four weeks later than I had been told).

Without measuring I can see it is shorter and thicker. Measuring confirms this. Daniel dodges all calls/text messages. To his credit, Goran of GO-2 does answer and says he will replace, just ship it back to the Netherlands ($24). Says his employee must have changed the length. Tells me Daniel is no longer associated with him. I don't want to chance getting another shaft that I am not happy with so I decide to exchange it for a break shaft. What can go wrong there right?

I send it back and request a 5/16x18 joint break shaft. I had an old Meucci butt and figured it would work fine. Five weeks later I receive the break shaft and it has a piloted joint. Up until now, I did not know what a piloted joint was but I do now! So the butt has a flat face and the shaft is piloted. Goran says "just find a cue maker and they can fix it for you; why didn't you tell me it wasn't piloted?" The break shaft is supposed to be 13mm and it is 12.8. Seems dimensions are not adhered to at least in the two shafts I received.

So here I am with a shaft I have overpaid for and now I have to find a cue maker to fix. I have learned a couple things. I know what a piloted joint is and I won't do business with Goran or anyone else out of the country again. Still playing with my maple shaft.
Hate to hear this. I know someone who bought a shaft thru their new US rep and he had zero issues. Got his in about 5weeks iirc. They are a young outfit and really do make a fine product. BTW, Shane's Billiard Supplies in Louisiana is the new rep. Good guy. https://www.facebook.com/cuecrazyshane/

mrgoob

Registered
Hate to hear this. I know someone who bought a shaft thru their new US rep and he had zero issues. Got his in about 5weeks iirc. They are a young outfit and really do make a fine product. BTW, Shane's Billiard Supplies in Louisiana is the new rep. Good guy. https://www.facebook.com/cuecrazyshane/

Shane is a good guy. He is not the rep, he buys some product and resells. Now that Goran got his website up Shane is not listed on there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is a good guy. He is not the rep, he buys some product and resells. Now that Goran got his website up Shane is not listed on there.
He's not the "official" rep but he is the current US dealer. The guy you had to deal with was a douche.

newby9

Registered
I just received my go-2 shaft about 2 weeks ago. It took about 8 weeks, but everything was perfect. I prefer the go2 taper over my Cuetec Cynergy. The 12.5mm go2 taper feels stronger, similar to my 12.5 mm mezz wx700 shafts. The 12.5 Cynergy stays skinny for a long distance, which many people prefer.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
From what I've seen from go-2 advertisement was there are only 2 different mm sizes available, 12.4 & 12.8. I've also never seen an 5/16x18 pin piloted, yes most 5/16x14 are but never the 18.

Sucks you had a bad experience. At this point I'd just ask for a complete refund, because I don't think you will be happy at all with what's happened so far.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what I've seen from go-2 advertisement was there are only 2 different mm sizes available, 12.4 & 12.8. I've also never seen an 5/16x18 pin piloted, yes most 5/16x14 are but never the 18.

Sucks you had a bad experience. At this point I'd just ask for a complete refund, because I don't think you will be happy at all with what's happened so far.
They'll make them just about any way you want. 12.3 up to 13mm and just about any joint type.

heresy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Piloted 5/16-18 is definitely less common, but not unheard of. Palmers were piloted 5/16-18, at least through the first couple/few catalogs. Some, if not all, Mali cues were too

Last edited:

mrgoob

Registered

Thanks, Goran at GO-2 told me that the pilot is standard on the 5/16-18. I asked about a refund and was only offered an exchange. I have found someone local to modify it. I just hope others get asked for all the information before purchasing.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Piloted 5/16-18 is definitely less common, but not unheard of. Palmers were piloted 5/16-18, at least through the first couple/few catalogs. Some, if not all, Mali cues were too

My ‘68 Joss is 18 thread piloted....my old Gina also....I prefer the finer thread.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a piloted 5/16 x 18 is not common. That company does not know what it's doing.

I'm not a cue maker but, I've owned a few (probably 3 or 4) that was 5/16 × 18 piloted and I don't remember anything negative about the cues.

Again, no cue maker here. Heck, I don't even trust myself enough to install my own tip.

Just out of curiosity, what makes a 5/16 x 18 piloted cue lame?

Jeff

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing its a good joint. What I thought was Lame was when the person requested a 5/16 x 18 joint the company should have sent a flat faced joint. That's all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nothing its a good joint. What I thought was Lame was when the person requested a 5/16 x 18 joint the company should have sent a flat faced joint. That's all.
Why is that? If it wasn't specified? It was a communication mix-up. 5/16x18 does not automatically mean flat-face as noted in above posts. When ordering shafts,especially when the co. is so far away, you need to be real sure both parties are very clear on these details. Not doing so(by either side) is what's lame.

Last edited:

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I can see both sides responsibility when it comes to the joint issue. The customer better make sure to point out what kind of joint he needs so is the seller should also ask before selling and shipping especially if he is not sure and the customer did not clarify it. So it is 50/50 fault in my opinion. What is strange to me is the customer seemed to expect a negative experience about how go-2 playing shaft performs and that's why decided to go for a break one. Being not sure and disappointed after having the negative experience with Daniel giving not what have been asked it was smarter to ask for a refund immediately then choosing to go for a break shaft - something you were not looking on the first place. Usually it is much easier to have a good deal when you know exactly what you want and what to expect.

Somebody living in USA has so many choices to choose from and it's much easier to find possibilities to try certain shafts at the table before buying. It's certainly much easier than for somebody like me living in Ukraine;).

P.S. I've talked to Goran through e-mails, having some questions and my experience was very positive. I've got very quick responces and Goran seemed to be honest about the things I've asked.

It's a pity your experience was not so positive(.

Last edited:

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
to my mind 5/16-18s were the norm and piloted but the joint fell out of fashion; i cant think of anyone prominent aside from Ernie who still uses it. i mostly see flat faced versions on low cost cues and meuccis these days. if you think about it, considering uniloc, 5/16-14 etc, piloted seems to be more of the norm from that perspective.

this i guess is one of those things where both sides have to take some responsibility. Buyer has to do their own homework and not take things for granted, seller has to assume that buyer wont do their own homework...

radge69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking the pilot off is an easy fix for any competent cue maker or repair man. If you can't find anyone, I'm in MN and will do it for free for you, just pay shipping. Or if you just want to be done with it, send me a PM and maybe we can work out a deal for it.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I'm sorry but I can't put any blame on the buyer even though he stated he didn't know about piloted.

He asked for 5/16x18, he didn't ask for 5/16x18 piloted. End of story. Cue maker needs to confirm, not the buyer, he didn't get what he asked for plain and simple. 2x's no less.