meucci carbon fiber shaft feedback wanted

r.roach@att.net

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i see Meucci now has a carbon fiber shaft. anyone using one. i like the idea that you can order length, joint size, and 12.75mm ferrule. how does the Meucci rate against Revo, Jacoby,and Cuetec? and would an APA SL6 see that much difference between the CF shaft and a Jacoby Ultra wood shaft? any imput will be greatly apprieciated. thanks

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Meucci changed the sizes this past month. Don't think you can any longer order the 12.75mm. The 3 new sizes being offered are 11.75, 12.1 & 12.4mm. They did this due to Meucci player rep feedback and the customers constantly nagging about the 11.75mm.

I had a 12.25mm radial pin 30" that I bought at the SBE. Shaft plays well and feels the closest to wood than the other brands. I'd recommend it, however, I planned on ordering the 11.75mm after I sold my 12.25 but decided against it and came to the conclusion to go back to my Revo for good.

I tried 4 other brands besides and always go back to Revo because I just feel more confident with it. I'm so used to the all black now and no ferrule, all the others just messed with my site the tiniest fraction.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meucci changed the sizes this past month. Don't think you can any longer order the 12.75mm. The 3 new sizes being offered are 11.75, 12.1 & 12.4mm. They did this due to Meucci player rep feedback and the customers constantly nagging about the 11.75mm.

I had a 12.25mm radial pin 30" that I bought at the SBE. Shaft plays well and feels the closest to wood than the other brands. I'd recommend it, however, I planned on ordering the 11.75mm after I sold my 12.25 but decided against it and came to the conclusion to go back to my Revo for good.

I tried 4 other brands besides and always go back to Revo because I just feel more confident with it. I'm so used to the all black now and no ferrule, all the others just messed with my site the tiniest fraction.

Where did you see them offering the Meucci CF shaft in 11.85mm? I checked their site and several other sites and saw no such offering.

Birk1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one. On a BMC Pro 1 cue.

Plays very very well. Stiff with no deflection and generates a ton of power and spin.

I am trying to get used to it vs the standard Pro shaft.

Ryan (loooong time cue collector that has gone simple life to a meucci last year)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried Buffalo’s Meucci carbon Shaft yesterday. It had the 5/16 pin. In my opinion it was horrible, lots of squirt, it felt like crap. I kept switching back and forth with my Revo for comparison. I think the Meucci squirted more than the Prime M I sold. Your results may differ.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I like my Meucci 11.75 shaft so much (I ordered it with a Uniloc joint for my Predator butts) that I ordered a BMC Pro 5 with the 3/8x10 joint and also in 11.75. I sold my Revo and Cynergy shafts but I'm keeping my BK Rush as my break stick. The Meucci CF really does hit more like a wood shaft while maintaining the qualities and benefits of CF. I ordered the first shaft with the soft Ivory tip and the newer one with the medium Ivory tip. I will decide on which plays better for me after I have played the new shaft for a while. I ordered 5 black Ultraskins and 5 Ivory Ultraskins form Tom Hay just to have on reserve and for my league teammates.

P.S. I highly recommend dealing with Tom Hay. Not just reputable and good prices, but lightning speed deliveries.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a 12.1mm Meucci Carbon Pro shaft today.

I will play with it next Sunday and let you know what I think of it. It is a 5/16-14 and will fit two of my cues that I was looking for an extra shaft for (my Pancerny Titlist conversion and my ADAM Japan Hall of Fame cue...a Balabushka replica without the signature).

I'm thinking that I'll use the ADAM cue...it is one of the last cues that came out of Japan before the Balabushka line was sold to another person and the production switched to China.

It is made with really black ebony and will match the black shaft better than my Pancerny, which is made with blood wood.

The only other carbon fiber shafts I have are Becue shafts and I sent my main 12.mm Becue playing shaft back to Italy to get refinished.

I want to see how the Meucci compares to the Becue. I know it is a lot "slicker", but I still prefer the look of the white Becue shafts to the black shafts.

localredhead

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked up a 12.1mm Meucci Carbon Pro shaft today.

I will play with it next Sunday and let you know what I think of it. It is a 5/16-14 and will fit two of my cues that I was looking for an extra shaft for (my Pancerny Titlist conversion and my ADAM Japan Hall of Fame cue...a Balabushka replica without the signature).

I'm thinking that I'll use the ADAM cue...it is one of the last cues that came out of Japan before the Balabushka line was sold to another person and the production switched to China.

It is made with really black ebony and will match the black shaft better than my Pancerny, which is made with blood wood.

The only other carbon fiber shafts I have are Becue shafts and I sent my main 12.mm Becue playing shaft back to Italy to get refinished.

I want to see how the Meucci compares to the Becue. I know it is a lot "slicker", but I still prefer the look of the white Becue shafts to the black shafts.

I'm curious how you'd compare the meucci to your becue prime

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm curious how you'd compare the meucci to your becue prime

I sent my Becue Prime 12mm shaft back to Italy for a refinish and it should be back soon, along with another one they are making for me.

When I get it back, I'll do a comparison and let you know what I think. I already know that the Meucci is slicker, because of no paint, so I'll limit it to what I think are the pros/cons of each (to me).

Also, the Becue shaft is paired with a Becue butt that is also carbon fiber, so I think that plays a big part in how the Becue plays differently than carbon fiber shafts on non-carbon fiber butts. I pair my Meucci carbon fiber shaft with my custom cues that have a 5/16-14 joints.

I have a 5.1 Becue shaft with a conical taper and a 11.8mm tip here, but that wouldn't be a true comparison because of the differences in diameter and taper.

And, I already know that I prefer looking down the Becue white shaft to the Meucci, even though it has a white ferrule.

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm surprised that Bob hasn't made a video, using his robot to test all of the shafts in comparison to his for deflection.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for 12 hours straight today with the Meucci Carbon Pro and this shaft plays extremely well. Maybe it was how the stars aligned today or maybe it was because I was seeing the balls well today, which is getting harder and harder to do with my cataracts needing surgery.

From the moment I hit the first ball today, I was playing better than I have been in quite a while. I struggle with my contacts and today they seemed to be focusing quite well and I was able to see the edges of the balls pretty clear.

I was cutting the balls down the long rails and firing them in and seldom missing. I was even setting an object ball on the rail in the center of the head rail and putting the cue ball on the foot spot and cutting the ball into the left and right corners on the head rail, over and over. I was trying to measure the deflection and swerve of the shaft and it has very little.

I don't mind a little deflection...I actually think it comes in handy in a lot of situations.

This shaft hits super solid and I was getting used to the tip and its reaction after a short while. The first time I played with it, I wasn't sure about it. I think it may be an Ivory Ultraskin soft. It matches up with with the shaft.

I had a regular Meucci Pro wood shaft a while back, but I sold it with a custom cue butt that I had made for it. I was downsizing. The carbon Pro plays a lot better than the wood one. It has more "spine" and I think it hits more "solid" and "consistent".

The long taper feels good and it allows you to stay "way back" on your bridge and use a short back swing to shoot very long shots when your main focus is to just cinch the ball at hand. I was hitting lots and lots of table length shots where the cue ball and the object ball were eight feet apart and where the cue ball was almost on the rail.

The reason I played for so long was that I was having fun with this shaft. I was finding it hard to miss and my cue ball control was amazingly consistent. Several people came over to ask what kind of shaft and cue I was using.

I had it paired up with a full-spliced custom Titlist conversion and it was a good match. It balanced with the cue really well and it became a ball-making machine. :)

I want to set up some test shots with it and my Becue when I get my Prime shaft back from Italy. I want to set up some of the shots that I usually practice and see which shaft performs "better" for me.

FWIW, I think the Meucci may hit a bit "stiffer" than my Becue Prime shaft. I think the Becue may have a bit more "flex".

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for about eight hours today, switching between my Becue carbon butt with a 12mm Prime pro taper carbon fiber shaft on it and my Pancerny custom full-splice Titlist conversion butt with a Meucci Pro 12.1mm carbon fiber shaft on it.

Both cues weighed within an ounce of each other and both had a very close balance point. The Becue shaft has an Ultra-skin soft black tip on it and I think the Meucci shaft has an Ultra-skin soft ivory tip on it.

Both cues played very similar and produced similar results using the same stroke on various shots I set up and tried with both cues. The Becue shaft has a pro taper but it isn't as long as the taper on the Meucci. Also, my Becue shaft is coated with white airplane paint, so it has more "drag" than the Meucci, which is "slicker". The new Becue Prime M shafts do not have the paint on them. They are black and very similar to all the other black carbon fiber shafts. FWIW, I find the white shaft easier to sight down than the black shafts. However, the Meucci shaft has a longer white ferrule than most black carbon fiber shafts and it is easy to get used to.

If you like a really long taper and you use a really long bridge, then the Meucci may be more your style. I have gotten used to the Meucci after playing with it for a about a month while my Becue shaft was in Italy at the factory, so it took me a bit to switch back to the shorter taper. I use a tight closed bridge on almost all shots, so taper is something that I notice right away.

I think the Becue shaft has a bit more flex that will allow you to "masse"/"swerve" the shot a bit more, if you need to, in order to get around the edge of a ball that may be blocking your shot a bit. Also, I think the Becue will allow you to do more "finesse-type" shots than the Meucci will. Both shafts play super, so it is hard to say one shaft is better than the other. I can play about equally well with either of them, once I hit a few balls and get them dialed in.

One thing that is truly "noticeable" is that the Becue carbon butt paired with the carbon shaft has a much "purer" feel and hit than any carbon fiber shaft that I've felt that was paired with a non-carbon butt and that includes my Meucci with my wood butts.

Every carbon fiber shaft that I've tried (Mezz, Cuetec, REVO, Meucci) on wooden butts have a bit of vibration when you miscue or sometimes hit the extreme edge of the cue ball. They also sometimes make some sort of "glassy" sound when you mishit or hit the very edge of the cue ball. The Becue carbon shafts on the carbon butt never do that. There is no vibration or sound, no matter what you do. It seems like there is a total transfer of "power" from the cue to the cue ball on every shot. I don't know how to describe it. If you play tennis, I'd say it seems like the "sweet spot" is the entire playing surface of the racket. The cue feels the same way. I have no reason to think that the carbon butt matched to the carbon shaft isn't the key that makes the difference.

I'm satisfied with both shafts, so y'all quit tempting me to buy anything else.

Aloha.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played for about eight hours today, switching between my Becue carbon butt with a 12mm Prime pro taper carbon fiber shaft on it and my Pancerny custom full-splice Titlist conversion butt with a Meucci Pro 12.1mm carbon fiber shaft on it.

Both cues weighed within an ounce of each other and both had a very close balance point. The Becue shaft has an Ultra-skin soft black tip on it and I think the Meucci shaft has an Ultra-skin soft ivory tip on it.

Both cues played very similar and produced similar results using the same stroke on various shots I set up and tried with both cues. The Becue shaft has a pro taper but it isn't as long as the taper on the Meucci. Also, my Becue shaft is coated with white airplane paint, so it has more "drag" than the Meucci, which is "slicker". The new Becue Prime M shafts do not have the paint on them. They are black and very similar to all the other black carbon fiber shafts. FWIW, I find the white shaft easier to sight down than the black shafts. However, the Meucci shaft has a longer white ferrule than most black carbon fiber shafts and it is easy to get used to.

If you like a really long taper and you use a really long bridge, then the Meucci may be more your style. I have gotten used to the Meucci after playing with it for a about a month while my Becue shaft was in Italy at the factory, so it took me a bit to switch back to the shorter taper. I use a tight closed bridge on almost all shots, so taper is something that I notice right away.

I think the Becue shaft has a bit more flex that will allow you to "masse"/"swerve" the shot a bit more, if you need to, in order to get around the edge of a ball that may be blocking your shot a bit. Also, I think the Becue will allow you to do more "finesse-type" shots than the Meucci will. Both shafts play super, so it is hard to say one shaft is better than the other. I can play about equally well with either of them, once I hit a few balls and get them dialed in.

One thing that is truly "noticeable" is that the Becue carbon butt paired with the carbon shaft has a much "purer" feel and hit than any carbon fiber shaft that I've felt that was paired with a non-carbon butt and that includes my Meucci with my wood butts.

Every carbon fiber shaft that I've tried (Mezz, Cuetec, REVO, Meucci) on wooden butts have a bit of vibration when you miscue or sometimes hit the extreme edge of the cue ball. They also sometimes make some sort of "glassy" sound when you mishit or hit the very edge of the cue ball. The Becue carbon shafts on the carbon butt never do that. There is no vibration or sound, no matter what you do. It seems like there is a total transfer of "power" from the cue to the cue ball on every shot. I don't know how to describe it. If you play tennis, I'd say it seems like the "sweet spot" is the entire playing surface of the racket. The cue feels the same way. I have no reason to think that the carbon butt matched to the carbon shaft isn't the key that makes the difference.

I'm satisfied with both shafts, so y'all quit tempting me to buy anything else.

Aloha.
I see where GoCustoms now has a full cf cue out. Good price too, $750 with their new SL long-taper cf shaft. https://go-customs.com/product/go-customs-cue/