RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ill just leave this here.... :thumbup:

attachment.php

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
FWIW, I run a week night neighborhood tournament, and offer the option for Ladies to play free (if wished).

When I go around to collect the money, I also ask the women and give them the option to choose.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW, I run a week night neighborhood tournament, and offer the option for Ladies to play free (if wished).

When I go around to collect the money, I also ask the women and give them the option to choose.

Having a small payout for the top lady finisher, if you
get a few to play, is a cool option too.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Transgender is here now in many sports.

Woman’s Soccer has displaced three True XY Females with three “I identify as a Female” Transgender XX Females.

It will be hard for True XY Females to try and get into Male Sports by saying they identify as Males.

I guess with enough Testosterone anything is possible.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But.. but... equal...

Why is a woman player special because she is a woman? I can see a free entry for a new beginner player, whatever age/sex. Offering special things to people because they are of a certain sex or color is just silly these days, since everyone is so uptight about being treated the same. I'd give free entry to say, anyone under 16, but not to someone just because they are a woman. That pretty much just tells people "you are not as good as the rest so you may as well play for free since you can't win anyway". Or the other message which is "you are special so you get special treatment" which is also not the right thing to do. It's not like a woman in inherently worse at pool than a guy, or is poorer so she can't pay the entry fee. Only time I have made an exception in a tournament was I gave someone an exception to certain fouls because the player did not have use of the right side of his body properly so his bridging and walking around the table was hampered. I ruled that he would be exempt from the "move more than one ball" foul for ball in hand.

Now if these were just random players in the room that you wanted to get to play that night, I can see that. If you are talking about players that were regulars or that played well, and they got free entry due to boobs, that I can't agree with as a nice thing to do. I mean, yes it's nice, but it's not nice for the right reasons.

Last edited:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But.. but... equal...

Why is a woman player special because she is a woman? I can see a free entry for a new beginner player, whatever age/sex. Offering special things to people because they are of a certain sex or color is just silly these days, since everyone is so uptight about being treated the same. I'd give free entry to say, anyone under 16, but not to someone just because they are a woman. That pretty much just tells people "you are not as good as the rest so you may as well play for free since you can't win anyway". Or the other message which is "you are special so you get special treatment" which is also not the right thing to do. It's not like a woman in inherently worse at pool than a guy, or is poorer so she can't pay the entry fee. Only time I have made an exception in a tournament was I gave someone an exception to certain fouls because the player did not have use of the right side of his body properly so his bridging and walking around the table was hampered. I ruled that he would be exempt from the "move more than one ball" foul for ball in hand.

Now if these were just random players in the room that you wanted to get to play that night, I can see that. If you are talking about players that were regulars or that played well, and they got free entry due to boobs, that I can't agree with as a nice thing to do. I mean, yes it's nice, but it's not nice for the right reasons.

Don’t forget, lots of women are upset if they aren’t equal AND special....

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t forget, lots of women are upset if they aren’t equal AND special....

Yep, and it makes me put on my sarcastic voice when talking about it LOL

There is a Bloom Country cartoon I remember

Opus was trying to get into farming and the farming manual had this in it.

"Say the following lines without cracking up
Keep those government yahoos out of my business.
Hurry up with my subsidy check"

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Still a great ad. Was he using a 'bushka? Always wondered that. I met him about 3yrs after this. What a guy. RIP Steve.

It is a great ad.

Robert Byrne had some interesting intel on it:

When the decision was made to make a Lite ad featuring a pool player, Mizerak was chosen over several other pros because he was able to project an appealing personality, and, rumor has it, the company felt he looked like a beer drinker. (At the time he weighed 225 lbs.; hefty, but not over the line for his 6'1" frame.) In his 1990 book, "Steve Mizerak's Complete Book of Pool," he stated that when he learned that he had been chosen to star in the original commercial in 1976, "I literally danced around the living room."

The commercial took nine hours to film and required 191 takes. Sometimes the timing between the words and the pool shots wasn't quite right, or Mizerak would muff a line, or somebody would sneeze, or a light would fail, or a door would slam, or the cue ball would end up in the wrong place, or a ball wouldn't drop. It took all of his powers of concentration and stamina to keep at it and stay upbeat until he and the crew had something that was both technically perfect and utterly charming. The commercial was brilliant and a huge success, running seemingly constantly over the course of a year or two. It made him a pool icon for life. Mizerak also became a member of the pitchman fraternity known as the Lite Beer All-Stars, a group of active and retired pro athletes from various sports who appeared in Miller ads. They often made public appearances, and Mizerak in particular was always in demand for exhibitions.

Lou Figueroa

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a great ad.

Robert Byrne had some interesting intel on it:

When the decision was made to make a Lite ad featuring a pool player, Mizerak was chosen over several other pros because he was able to project an appealing personality, and, rumor has it, the company felt he looked like a beer drinker. (At the time he weighed 225 lbs.; hefty, but not over the line for his 6'1" frame.) In his 1990 book, "Steve Mizerak's Complete Book of Pool," he stated that when he learned that he had been chosen to star in the original commercial in 1976, "I literally danced around the living room."

The commercial took nine hours to film and required 191 takes. Sometimes the timing between the words and the pool shots wasn't quite right, or Mizerak would muff a line, or somebody would sneeze, or a light would fail, or a door would slam, or the cue ball would end up in the wrong place, or a ball wouldn't drop. It took all of his powers of concentration and stamina to keep at it and stay upbeat until he and the crew had something that was both technically perfect and utterly charming. The commercial was brilliant and a huge success, running seemingly constantly over the course of a year or two. It made him a pool icon for life. Mizerak also became a member of the pitchman fraternity known as the Lite Beer All-Stars, a group of active and retired pro athletes from various sports who appeared in Miller ads. They often made public appearances, and Mizerak in particular was always in demand for exhibitions.

Lou Figueroa

What about that table? Looks like a 6'... or was it just the camera FOV making it look so small?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about that table? Looks like a 6'... or was it just the camera FOV making it look so small?

I think it was a standard 7 footer.

If it looks smaller it's probably just the lens they used to get the background in. BTW, there was a whole series of these commercials.

Lou Figueroa