Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Million Dollar Challenge Documentary
Page 7 of 10 « First 567 89 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average.
Old
  (#91)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Last edited by Ratamon; 11-11-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Old
  (#92)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member
Ratamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond reputeRatamon has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
I'm not sure what you saw on that video but I can tell you this. I racked the balls for games seven through eleven! Earl would not let me rack for game six. He did not make the nine ball on any of my racks!
With all due respect Jay this is not what the video shows. Here's a clip of Earl racking for himself in rack #8 (and he makes the 9 on the break in that rack). I hope CJ does not mind me posting this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Yz...MPxXcczszHg1oL

Last edited by Ratamon; 11-11-2019 at 06:33 PM.

Old
  (#93)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratamon View Post
With all due respect Jay this is not what the video shows. Here's a clip of Earl racking for himself in rack #8 (and he makes the 9 on the break in that rack). I hope CJ does not mind me posting this.

I might of mentioned this before but JIC.
You see Earl wiping Each ball before each race. The reason was, Brunswick had changed their rubber mixture for the pockets. They were softer rubber than the earlier GCI's. Because of this, they were like pencil erasers, every time the ball hit the back of the pocket, a smudge of rubber developed on the ball. So ....Every rack that Earl racked, he wiped off EVERY ball, to maximize his brake effectiveness.
Nick Mannio, was his opponent....George Breedloves best man at his wedding with Janette Lee. After that was over, Earl broke and ran one more if I remember correctly.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#94)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member

11-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I might of mentioned this before but JIC.
You see Earl wiping Each ball before each race. The reason was, Brunswick had changed their rubber mixture for the pockets. They were softer rubber than the earlier GCI's. Because of this, they were like pencil erasers, every time the ball hit the back of the pocket, a smudge of rubber developed on the ball. So ....Every rack that Earl racked, he wiped off EVERY ball, to maximize his brake effectiveness.
Nick Mannio, was his opponent....George Breedloves best man at his wedding with Janette Lee. After that was over, Earl broke and ran one more if I remember correctly.
Great info, Bill, thank you! Earl also said in an interview that he tried to remove any debris from the balls to make them break better. He also washed that towel 10 or so times until it stopped giving off lint. Impressive!

I also attach an article you did for P&B with the coverage of the match (thanks to Bob Jewett for sharing it some time ago). Hope it brings back some memories of the tournament!

Take care.
Terry

P.S. And you are right - Earl did break and run one more rack for the total of 11. This is just incredible!
Attached Images

Last edited by Ratamon; 11-11-2019 at 11:40 AM.

More articles
Old
  (#95)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member

More articles - 11-11-2019, 03:26 PM

This is an article from The National Billiard News - Volume 24, Issue 4 - May 1996
Attached Images

Old
  (#96)
skip100
AzB Silver Member
skip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond reputeskip100 has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 03:28 PM

Given that the revenue stream for this is pretty much over, it's too bad the public can't view it online.

Old
  (#97)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:

I can't view that video on my computer. All I can tell you is the truth. If you want fake news look elsewhere. Perhaps CJ edited the tape somehow. That I don't know. What I do know is that I racked #7-11 racks. Earl may have grabbed the rack one time and tried to rack again but I stopped him. With all due respect of course.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#98)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
I can't view that video on my computer. All I can tell you is the truth. If you want fake news look elsewhere. Perhaps CJ edited the tape somehow. That I don't know. What I do know is that I racked #7-11 racks. Earl may have grabbed the rack one time and tried to rack again but I stopped him. With all due respect of course.
Jay, wasn't that the rules according to the insurance company. I know they wanted proof (video) of Earl, running ''the last 5 racks '' right?

Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#99)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Jay, wasn't that the rules according to the insurance company. I know they wanted proof (video) of Earl, running ''the last 5 racks '' right?
Yes, that is correct. That is why it was so important that he broke and ran out rack #11. That rack was also recorded and it was key to him getting a settlement on the insurance claim. He was supposed to get a $50,000 annuity for 20 years but they settled with him, giving him a one time settlement in six figures, a very healthy six figures!

Old
  (#100)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member

11-11-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. That is why it was so important that he broke and ran out rack #11. That rack was also recorded and it was key to him getting a settlement on the insurance claim. He was supposed to get a $50,000 annuity for 20 years but they settled with him, giving him a one time settlement in six figures, a very healthy six figures!
And CJ gave em this....

Sorry for the size of the photo, but it DEFINITELY shows immediate results. lol
Attached Images

Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#101)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

11-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
And CJ gave em this....

Sorry for the size of the photo, but it DEFINITELY shows immediate results. lol
True That! It shows CJ's commitment to keeping his word. He was on the hook for that 50K until the settlement came in and reimbursed him.
P.S. It helped that CJ came from a wealthy family.

Old
  (#102)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

11-11-2019, 05:13 PM

I have the cue that CJ used to win that tournament. It is in original condition from that tournament and still has the same tip on it.

Old
  (#103)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member

11-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Well, what can I say Jay... I gave a rack-by-rack account based on what I had seen in the video. If you think CJ edited it, then my post would obviously be incomplete. It does not look like someone did anything to the video, though (at least, to my undiscerning eye).

Further, as far as I understand, the racks 1-5 were not taped which means that potentially only one rack could have been edited out (as there are seven racks between 6 and 12 and only 6 racks on the video). Given that Earl made the 9 on the break in both of the first two racks of the video, at least one of those racks would have been racked by you however you slice it. I really admire your ability to give accurate accounts of events of the distant past, just sometimes we all seem to be relying on our memory a bit too much, don't we ?

I would post up the whole video but I don't have the copyrights so only with CJ's express consent.

Last edited by Ratamon; 11-11-2019 at 05:45 PM.

Old
  (#104)
Ratamon
AzB Gold Member

11-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip100 View Post
Given that the revenue stream for this is pretty much over, it's too bad the public can't view it online.
I've looked up CJ's website and he currently sells this DVD for $14.95 shipped which I find very reasonable. I think I got it from Seyberts or Bob Henning (don't remember which) for $30. I guess it all depends how badly you want to see it.

As I said, I would love to post it up but I don't own the copyright.

Old
  (#105)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people

11-12-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Well, what can I say Jay... I gave a rack-by-rack account based on what I had seen in the video. If you think CJ edited it, then my post would obviously be incomplete. It does not look like someone did anything to the video, though (at least, to my undiscerning eye).

Further, as far as I understand, the racks 1-5 were not taped which means that potentially only one rack could have been edited out (as there are seven racks between 6 and 12 and only 6 racks on the video). Given that Earl made the 9 on the break in both of the first two racks of the video, at least one of those racks would have been racked by you however you slice it. I really admire your ability to give accurate accounts of events of the distant past, just sometimes we all seem to be relying on our memory a bit too much, don't we ?

I would post up the whole video but I don't have the copyrights so only with CJ's express consent.
Racks 1-6 were not taped. I didn't see racks 1-5, but I was told he made the nine twice on the break. He came close on rack 6 so I made sure to get all the balls tight when I racked them. Only on one break did the nine go close to the corner pocket, stopping maybe 4-5 inches away. I'm still 99% sure he did not make the nine ball on any one of my racks. I will look at the video again later since I have a copy.

Page 7 of 10 « First 567 89 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: