9-Ball ghost challenge on my new Diamond 9 footer

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, just keep in mind, the base of that ball is exactly 1 1/8" from the outer edge of the ball. If you ACTUALLY had 2" of slate inside the jaws of the pocket that the ball could sit on....there would be NO edge of the ball to be seen, or hit looking down the rails. As it is, you're showing about 40% of the ball is available to be hit with the cue ball.

Not really, in bold, because that 2 inches is angled outward 51° because of the pocket facing. So when a ball is set in as deep as can be against the facing, a portion of the ball is sticking out beyond the cushion.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Not really, in bold, because that 2 inches is angled outward 51° because of the pocket facing. So when a ball is set in as deep as can be against the facing, a portion of the ball is sticking out beyond the cushion.

And just how much of the ball is sticking out as far back as it can sit, in the center of the pocket? Right at the 2" deep pocket shelf?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Which size pockets have more balls rattled and still sitting in the jaws of the pockets, 4" or 4 1/2"??

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which size pockets have more balls rattled and still sitting in the jaws of the pockets, 4" or 4 1/2"??

I know you were asking the other poster but, in my experience, diamonds with 4" pockets either drop or bounce out from pocket, hardly ever stays in jaws. On diamonds with 4.5" pockets, balls are far more likely to rattle and then, stay in the jaws.

When playing weak players, I prefer 4.5" pockets. When they miss, the ball is far more likely to stay close to pocket. Then, I have an easier run out but, don't have to worry about them.

On the other hand, when I'm playing someone equal/better than me, I prefer tighter pockets. Why?.....now the tables are turned. When playing players equal to or stronger than me....well, I always consider myself the weaker player and when I miss....not a safe, but a "missed ball", I want it to be as tough as possible for them to run out.

Well, ^^^^^^^^^ my logic, what do you think?

Jeff

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I know you were asking the other poster but, in my experience, diamonds with 4" pockets either drop or bounce out from pocket, hardly ever stays in jaws. On diamonds with 4.5" pockets, balls are far more likely to rattle and then, stay in the jaws.

When playing weak players, I prefer 4.5" pockets. When they miss, the ball is far more likely to stay close to pocket. Then, I have an easier run out but, don't have to worry about them.

On the other hand, when I'm playing someone equal/better than me, I prefer tighter pockets. Why?.....now the tables are turned. When playing players equal to or stronger than me....well, I always consider myself the weaker player and when I miss....not a safe, but a "missed ball", I want it to be as tough as possible for them to run out.

Well, ^^^^^^^^^ my logic, what do you think?

Jeff

You're pretty much right on. Tight pockets represent small gates and big hallways because less than 50% of the ball is needed to drop it, whereas bigger pockets deeper shelfs and more room for the ball to come to rest inside the jaws. A factory GC with 5" corner pockets will let a ball sit in the jaws of the pocket 60% of the way in before it drops. Ball rattle takes place in the first inch of the facing from the point back into the pocket, all corner pockets have slate under the balls where that rattle takes place. The Diamond deep shelf only plays a roll when the balls actually come to a resting place still inside the jaws of the pocket.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're pretty much right on. Tight pockets represent small gates and big hallways because less than 50% of the ball is needed to drop it, whereas bigger pockets deeper shelfs and more room for the ball to come to rest inside the jaws. A factory GC with 5" corner pockets will let a ball sit in the jaws of the pocket 60% of the way in before it drops. Ball rattle takes place in the first inch of the facing from the point back into the pocket, all corner pockets have slate under the balls where that rattle takes place. The Diamond deep shelf only plays a roll when the balls actually come to a resting place still inside the jaws of the pocket.

I should take a snapshot of ^^^^^. That way I can always say I was right or at least partially right about something at least once in my lifetime.....with proof...lol.

As always Glenn, thanks for your valuable input sir.

Jeff

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
And just how much of the ball is sticking out as far back as it can sit, in the center of the pocket? Right at the 2" deep pocket shelf?

Doing a quick sketch and some math, if the ob were froze to the facing and the base of the ball was as far back as 2.25" from the tip to tip line, 26% of the ball (0.585") would be visible looking straight down the rail. From center pocket, right at 2" deep, even more than 26% would show.

picture.php

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doing a quick sketch and some math, if the ob were froze to the facing and the base of the ball was as far back as 2.25" from the tip to tip line, 26% of the ball would be visible looking straight down the rail. From center pocket, right at 2" deep, even more than 26% would show.

picture.php
Smart guy. ;) Really a cool diagram. Thanks. You think a good 1p player could dig that ball out? That is in there DEEP.

Last edited:

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

You know it depends on shelf depth and facing angle. A 4" pocket with 141° facings and a 1 inch shelve wouldn't leave many balls hanging. At 138° or less, even if the shelf were 2" deep, the ball would like likely rattle back and forth 2 or 3 times and drop on in.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Smart guy. ;) Really a cool diagram. Thanks. You think a good 1p could dig that ball out? That is in there DEEP.

If the cb is lined up for it, there's a great 1hole shot that digs that ball right outta there. Both balls can't fit in the back of the pocket. Sometimes you can use a lot of draw and shoot the cb into the gap, also a little outside english, and when the balls jam up the cb draws out and brings the ob with it. But it's also a good scratch shot!! Lol. It takes practice to recognize when it's possible and when it's not.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
If the cb is lined up for it, there's a great 1hole shot that digs that ball right outta there. Both balls can't fit in the back of the pocket. Sometimes you can use a lot of draw and shoot the cb into the gap, also a little outside english, and when the balls jam up the cb draws out and brings the ob with it. But it's also a good scratch shot!! Lol. It takes practice to recognize when it's possible and when it's not.

No chance with 4" corner pockets, that shot works best with Pro cut, 4 1/2" corners.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No chance with 4" corner pockets, that shot works best with Pro cut, 4 1/2" corners.
Place i used to play had a GC4 with 4" corners. Hated playing 1p on it for just that reason. You could not dig a ball out. All you could do was either make it or make it and follow it in. On 4.5's you at least have a chance at the dig-out.