The mental game, US Navy Seals

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have talked about breathing enough on here that most probably skim when they see I have written the word.

Here are some other people talking about it and some other people using breathing to affect emotion. The Seals use it in action, with their lives and other lives on the line. While they only talk about lowering stress and emotional levels, quick shallow breaths can get you on your toes a little when you are feeling flat footed.

For those that need to control their emotions better, here is how, one way anyway.

Hu

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...lously-easy-exercise?utm_source=pocket-newtab

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice topic Hu...

I have talked about breathing enough on here that most probably skim when they see I have written the word.

Here are some other people talking about it and some other people using breathing to affect emotion. The Seals use it in action, with their lives and other lives on the line. While they only talk about lowering stress and emotional levels, quick shallow breaths can get you on your toes a little when you are feeling flat footed.

For those that need to control their emotions better, here is how, one way anyway.

Hu

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...lously-easy-exercise?utm_source=pocket-newtab

It sounds like the Seals have found a way to quickly get closer to a meditative state, ..... meditation, prayer, zen,......... all seem to be ways to get the conscious mind out of the way and relax the body so that ‘purer’ thought and a calm body can prevail...... Not sure if that came out right, but I’ve always believed that the unconscious mind will prevail.

Td

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Last edited:

aaronataylor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've recently incorporated taking a deep breath in my pre-shot routine and found an increase in my shot making accuracy.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to struggle with my breathing so I’ve since eliminated it from my game altogether. Less variables to manage. ;)

Nice post OP. I’ve used square breathing before but not as part of match play. I often take a deep breath prior to getting on the shot as Aaron mentioned, but will try using square breathing in the chair and approaching the table. ��

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

Good stuff, thanks.
I'm going to try it.
I currently employ a couple deep "cleansing breaths" in my pre shot routine for bullseye pistol, and for service rifle, and it works.
I'll give the box breathing technique a try now too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess taking a big hit off my pinch-hitter before playing probably doesn't count. ;)

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl seemed to know

Some years ago, I watched a video of Earl deliberately stepping back, taking a few deep breaths, before shooting a tough table-length shot; IIRC, the cue ball was near one corner pocket and it was basically a straight shot with the object ball a little past the middle of the table diagonally at the other corner pocket....after which he got down and fired it in with draw back for position....
I learned something right there about breathing to relieve stress and getting ready to shoot a tough shot......

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Some years ago, I watched a video of Earl deliberately stepping back, taking a few deep breaths, before shooting a tough table-length shot; IIRC, the cue ball was near one corner pocket and it was basically a straight shot with the object ball a little past the middle of the table diagonally at the other corner pocket....after which he got down and fired it in with draw back for position....
I learned something right there about breathing to relieve stress and getting ready to shoot a tough shot......

Breathing must be paused during execution....