Strengthen your mental game

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Long on the what, very short on the how. Kind of a "no S Sherlock"...I was hoping for a little more technique on how to develop confidence, not just that I need it.:frown:

You will most likely need to buy the book.

JoeyA

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Confidence is an emotion and it is proven that emotions are caused by both your body chemistry and your thoughts or beliefs. The thoughts and beliefs can be worked on and changed for sure even if formed in childhood but it is the body chemistry that is harder to improve on without working out, eating a clean diet, or simply taking medicine but medicine imo sucks because the good is temporary and the negative effects can last forever.

I do believe there is value in what he teaches though.

Yup, this is a tough one. I think it's possible for a person to develop moments of confidence, however, developing it as part of one's persona is a whole other deal.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, but I don't trust these kinds of sources. This guy appears to have a real degree from a real University (the Ohio State University), but I couldn't find what field the degree is in.

But he has made his career selling books and DVDs and giving paid speeches, rather than doing research. Professional authors/speakers have very different goals from researchers. Authors/speakers have to sound good and feel good to the reader - like "be confident" - in order to sell well.

It's the difference between someone who writes diet books for a living vs. someone who does research in nutrition. People love their diet books and don't care much for scientific research, so I'm sure he's chosen the right career. I just wouldn't take anything he says as valid.

And there really is a ton of research in sports psychology, and some conclusions can be drawn from it. I just don't think it's "be confident."

I agree that confidence is key, but I'm not so sure that it will come simply by improving your pool game and reflecting on your successes.

I think that confidence is a personality trait that is formed in childhood. Those who are confident as adults are usually successful at multiple things.

So, can an adult who lacks confidence --- find confidence? I don't know the answer, but I think that if it's possible, that process would be incredibly hard.

I'd say confidence is genetically determined rather than a personality trait formed in childhood.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Up to a year ago I'd get the jitters during a game. Since practicing 1hour per day (which I enjoy) and contesting 2-4 times a week now nothing bothers me because I have improved over my normally B game to a B+. I usually played scared and lost my share of games I should have won. Left the game for 40 years for golf. Back to pool now with a new regimen thanks to lots of writings and streaming tournaments.

ascreech

Registered
looking forward to it

Thanks for providing this series. As an intro article, it seems to be outlining where the series will go; I think some folks have missed this point. I'm looking forward to it's continuation. Even if I only learn one or two things that help, and don't get or disagree with others, those one or two things will make it worth my time.

- Andrew

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, this is a tough one. I think it's possible for a person to develop moments of confidence, however, developing it as part of one's persona is a whole other deal.

In your first post you said... "I agree that confidence is key, but I'm not so sure that it will come simply by improving your pool game and reflecting on your successes.

I think that confidence is a personality trait that is formed in childhood. Those who are confident as adults are usually successful at multiple things.

So, can an adult who lacks confidence --- find confidence? I don't know the answer, but I think that if it's possible, that process would be incredibly hard."

I do agree that confidence wont FULLY come simply by improving your pool game and reflecting on your successes. However I do think that both of those will help build confidence.

In this post you talk about developing confidence as ones persona. I personally believe that can be accomplished in most people too by working on beliefs that cause a fear of failure, perfectionism, etc.

Confidence, beliefs, and thoughts are all interwoven. For example you can change your beliefs and you change your thoughts... change your thoughts and you change your emotions. (including confidence)

Each individual has different beliefs and thoughts holding them back and causing fear and a loss of focus letting doubts creep in but they can identify change a lot of those beliefs to leading them to confidence producing thoughts and ultimately confidence itself.

For example:

Lets say someone has ability to play great but an excessive fear of what others think about them. There is a belief behind this fear and once it is corrected this changes the whole thought and focus problems a player has when performing in front of a crowd allowing him to replace fear with feelings of confidence. It could be just one belief that changes a timid, fearful, tense persons persona into someone confident and composed.

Last edited:

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I've coached children from 4 years old to young adults in their early 20s. I have 4 grown children that I've both coached & watched be coached & play. I also have my own experience as a player of other sports & of having severe migraine headaches due to a desire to be perfect in school etc.

I'll just say this. For those that confidence is not innate, success can breed confidence & practice can breed success.

I won't use the word learned, but I will say that confidence can be acquired.

Best 2 All,
Rick

PS I'm not sure whether or not I would call fear & confidence just emotions as I think they can be intellectually influenced. Fear certainly can inhibit confidence & a loss of fear can certainly enhance confidence. I think one can certainly intellectually learn that there is no real reason to fear & hence increase one's confidence.

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Confidence is an emotion and it is proven that emotions are caused by both your body chemistry and your thoughts or beliefs. The thoughts and beliefs can be worked on and changed for sure even if formed in childhood but it is the body chemistry that is harder to improve on without working out, eating a clean diet, or simply taking medicine but medicine imo sucks because the good is temporary and the negative effects can last forever.

I do believe there is value in what he teaches though.

Confidence may not be an emotion.......

main-qimg-b54796a1938025c94437e06c9caf52e8

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Confidence may not be an emotion.......

main-qimg-b54796a1938025c94437e06c9caf52e8

You can google "is confidence an emotion" and there is plenty of stuff to read.

Confidence is often referred to as a belief in yourself. I refer to it as this myself. Or some say "trust" like on your chart.

But actually I believe a better description is it is an emotion generated when you believe in yourself.

Last edited:

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very well could be genetic. I do think it can be lost through childhood trauma, though.

Basically everything is a combination of nature and nurture

Somebody may be predisposed to having higher confidence (sometimes too high), but I think it is clear that it can increase due to positive experience and mindset

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can google "is confidence an emotion" and there is plenty of stuff to read.

Confidence is often referred to as a belief in yourself. I refer to it as this myself. Or some say "trust" like on your chart.

But actually I believe a better description is it is an emotion generated when you believe in yourself.

I dont fully like this post because while it is easy to generate the feeling of confidnce when you 100% believe in your ability it is not required that you 100% believe in your ability to feel confident.

I feel like the above post gives the impression that you eithrr believe and feel confident or doubt and feel fear. Its not that black and white. Its true that positive thoughts result in good feelings and negative thoughts result in bad feelings but when faced with a shot that is 50/50 which thoughts will enter your mind? Your beliefs and attitudes will determine your thoughts. There are attitudes and beliefs that will cause your thoughts to drift toward the negative outcome which will lead to feelings of fear and then there are attitudes and beliefs that will allow you to stay focused on performing the task the way you want to letting positive thoughts fill your mind and feelings of confidence.

Confident people know they are going to be ok no matter what. This belief or attitude is what leads to their thoughts in 50/50 type situations and their thoughts lead to their feelings. THEIR FEELINGS OF CONFIDENCE.

Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working on your attitudes and beliefs are very important and playing with confidence has may benefits but its obviously not the end all be all.

Peak performance requires a combination of physical skill, knowledge, and emotion.

The physical skill has to be mastered to where you perform at the subconscious level, your subconscious is effected by your emotions, and you have to have knowledge for strategy and such.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
You can say what you want about confidence being an emotion or emotion is a belief in yourself or that confidence is tied to chemistry BUT and I mean a BIG BUT, I have confidence in my play because I practice well. If I don't practice well, I have less confidence.

Even having a rather large bank of knowledge, does not bring forth great confidence either.

The greatest confidence comes from a combination of pool knowledge, diligent practice, accomplished skills and experience, although I will have to admit, I have utilized information from Sports Psychologists to develop a winning way. A few people gain confidence from other people but their consistency of confidence often wavers with the audience. Having an appreciative audience can also be a hindrance for some.

So to suggest that confidence is something genetic, or chemical and that childhood trauma can cause lack of confidence is taking away from where and how confidence is acquired. You EARN CONFIDENCE! The world is full of world class athletes who suffered great childhood trauma and who came from families who were not athletes. Just my opinion.......

JoeyA

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, but I don't trust these kinds of sources. This guy appears to have a real degree from a real University (the Ohio State University), but I couldn't find what field the degree is in. ...

I found this:

Education
The Ohio State University
Ph.D., Counseling

Cognate studies of expertise: Sport, Health, and I/O psychology