CUE BALL CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Aiming through the diamonds is definitely quite different from aiming across from (or in front of) the diamonds. ...
For the corner-5 system, if you aim opposite (which is the more or less standard word for "in front of" a diamond) on the first rail the contact point will be opposite on the third rail, and a through aim will give a through contact on the third rail, more or less. The differences between "though" and "opposite" more or less cancel for the corner-5. For other systems, maybe not so much.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of thumbs up

Dave,
Excellent work as always.
I love your work, but some people i know
Reject the intellectual approach to improving
Skill as a pool player. Maybe that’s why these
Thumbs down happened. You are a college
Professor, passionate about all aspects of this game.
They probably wanted trick shots and you just
Reminded them that improvement requires work.

Keep doing what you do, thank you,
Mark

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave,
Excellent work as always.
I love your work, but some people i know
Reject the intellectual approach to improving
Skill as a pool player. Maybe that’s why these
Thumbs down happened. You are a college
Professor, passionate about all aspects of this game.
They probably wanted trick shots and you just
Reminded them that improvement requires work.

Keep doing what you do, thank you,
Mark
Thank you.

I can understand that some people might not like my "intellectual approach." Some people just want you to tell them what to do, and they want it to be easy (i.e., "give them a fish"), but that isn't always possible. I prefer to help people understand things so they can learn to figure out stuff in other situations on their own (i.e., "learn how to fish").

Regards,
Dave

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Thanks. It takes a lot of work to produce these newer and better videos (compared to some of my older stuff), but it is fun and it feels good to know people appreciate them. All of the practice during filming also makes my game sharper.

Thanks again,
Dave

I may already know these stuff but I still appreciate these videos. they are comprehensive and i find it easier to get people to refer to them than trying to explain over text etc. Much easier to understand vs reading as well for most ppl. i wished i had discovered your website earlier as it would have saved me the trouble of reinventing the wheel and figuring stuff out on my own... (i had to do a lot of stuff like at 2:03 to work out the logic of how balls react and how throw worked etc) but i do still pick up new useful tricks like using the peace sign to determine the rolling cueball path... it really beats telling people to imagine a 30 degree path lol

P.S. I left a list of timestamps on the comments page. I think it might be useful for some who need to constantly refer back to the video. let me know if the descriptions are wrong

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member
Anybody else have any input or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave

how about ideas like

1. Shots that are easier than you think
Deals with 'troublesome' position shots that people usually struggle with but is actually not that hard when approached correctly. complete with drills that will help build confidence

2. Shots you miss but you don't know why
Shots that people often miss due to lack of knowledge e.g. throw. This is like recreating real-life situations for subtleties that are often ignored

the titles will definitely need tweaking; was thinking more in line of someone who comes to youtube searching for a solution for a problem he has with his game

Speedie

Registered
I just wanted to add my voice to those thanking you for this excellent video. My playing partner and I are just beginning our journeys into taking pool seriously, and are at the point of starting to play 2 and 3 shots ahead instead of one. This video will be an invaluable aide.

On Sunday we spent a good deal of time during our practice session using the techniques in the video to play what we called "cluster busters" - setting up clusters of 3 or 4 balls in various positions, and practicing both pocketing the object ball and then sending the cue ball into the cluster to break it up. We had varying degrees of success naturally, but by the end of the session we were having far more hits than when we started. That, after all, is the point of practice.

It was noticeable when we played a few racks of 9 ball afterwards that we both put together more, and longer, runs than usual. We both can't wait to run drills again when we play next, and to eventually reach the point where we can complete the Wagon Wheel successfully.

Thanks again for all that you do.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I may already know these stuff but I still appreciate these videos. they are comprehensive and i find it easier to get people to refer to them than trying to explain over text etc. Much easier to understand vs reading as well for most ppl. i wished i had discovered your website earlier as it would have saved me the trouble of reinventing the wheel and figuring stuff out on my own... (i had to do a lot of stuff like at 2:03 to work out the logic of how balls react and how throw worked etc) but i do still pick up new useful tricks like using the peace sign to determine the rolling cueball path... it really beats telling people to imagine a 30 degree path lol
I’m glad you got something out of it.

P.S. I left a list of timestamps on the comments page. I think it might be useful for some who need to constantly refer back to the video. let me know if the descriptions are wrong
Thanks for doing that. Others might benefit.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
how about ideas like

1. Shots that are easier than you think
Deals with 'troublesome' position shots that people usually struggle with but is actually not that hard when approached correctly. complete with drills that will help build confidence

2. Shots you miss but you don't know why
Shots that people often miss due to lack of knowledge e.g. throw. This is like recreating real-life situations for subtleties that are often ignored

the titles will definitely need tweaking; was thinking more in line of someone who comes to youtube searching for a solution for a problem he has with his game
Good ideas. The shots that come to mind might fit into other videos I already have planned.

Thank you,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to add my voice to those thanking you for this excellent video. My playing partner and I are just beginning our journeys into taking pool seriously, and are at the point of starting to play 2 and 3 shots ahead instead of one. This video will be an invaluable aide.

On Sunday we spent a good deal of time during our practice session using the techniques in the video to play what we called "cluster busters" - setting up clusters of 3 or 4 balls in various positions, and practicing both pocketing the object ball and then sending the cue ball into the cluster to break it up. We had varying degrees of success naturally, but by the end of the session we were having far more hits than when we started. That, after all, is the point of practice.

It was noticeable when we played a few racks of 9 ball afterwards that we both put together more, and longer, runs than usual. We both can't wait to run drills again when we play next, and to eventually reach the point where we can complete the Wagon Wheel successfully.

Thanks again for all that you do.
You’re welcome ... and thank you. I’m happy to hear my stuff is helping you to practice and improve.

Good luck with your game,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, in the near future, I plan on doing a few more YouTube videos in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. "CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know" was the first in the series.

Here are the tentative topics currently on my list:

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Playing Position Off Hangers
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

Of these topics, which would you most like to see?

What other topics would you like to see?

I would also include "Throw" and "Sidespin," but I think I already have good videos on these topics. I also don't want to duplicate topics already covered in detail in my "Top 10 Pool Principles and Shots" YouTube Instructional Series.

I look forward to your input.
Anybody else have any input, advice, suggestions, or requests?

Thanks,
Dave

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kicks & Banks.

I’ve a collection of tutorial publications and videos that explain this subject.
In my opinion, it’s the most interesting facet of pool reminiscent of billiards.
I’ve had a love affair with 3 cushion billiards dating back to the early 70’s.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube that demonstrates all important cue ball control principles, effects, and skills, all in one place. Here it is:

Topics covered include stop/stun/follow/draw, 90˚ rule, 30˚ rule, 3-times-the-angle system, tangent line, natural angle, good action draw, pocket cheating, cut-induced throw, sidespin effects, speed effects, drag and spin conversion, and CB control drills.

This video is a little on the longer side (14 minutes), but the material in presented very concisely (but still completely). Multiple viewings (and/or pause/rewind cycles) might be required for everything to sink in.

This one took a lot of time and effect to create, but I am very happy with the end result. I predict this will become my most-watched YouTube video of all time ... assuming people know what is best for them.

I suspect even top players can learn a thing or two from this video, but it is still mostly geared toward beginner and intermediate players.

Please let me know what you think, and let me know if anything is unclear or if you have any questions.

Enjoy,
Dave

Dave, I think some of your videos can get a little too analytical, but I have to say that I think this is the best pool instructional video I have ever seen. If players just watch this video and really apply the concepts, I think beginners, intermediate players and even some advanced players could really improve their positional games. I am a decent player, was very good once, and I found the 3 times the angle draw portion really illuminating. I sort of knew that on an instinctual level but not in a measured way. One thing I was a little surprised that was missing since you mentioned cut induced throw several times is how you can adjust for that with English. It would be a good addition. I just linked it to two of my APA teams and told them to watch it.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, in the near future, I plan on doing a few more YouTube videos in the "Everything You Need to Know" series. "CB CONTROL ... Everything You Need to Know" was the first in the series.

Here are the tentative topics currently on my list:

Fouls in Pool
Position Play Principles
Playing Position Off Hangers
Kicks and Banks
How to Aim Pool Shots

Of these topics, which would you most like to see?

What other topics would you like to see?

I would also include "Throw" and "Sidespin," but I think I already have good videos on these topics. I also don't want to duplicate topics already covered in detail in my "Top 10 Pool Principles and Shots" YouTube Instructional Series.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks,
Dave

I think aiming can become a huge ballywick but the videos I would like to see are:

#1: Playing Position Off Hangers
#2 "Kicks and Banks

Playing position off of hangers is something even the very best amateurs frequently mess up. Would be interesting to see how you would tackle that. Byrne did a little in one video but he mostly showed drills that he did perfectly, not really much on how he judged it.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
!

Dave one suggestion for the hangers video would be start with just how NOT to scratch on a hanger especially when it is somewhat deep into the shelf. It is absolutely amazing how many fairly skilled players (like APA 4 and 5s) REALLY struggle not to scratch on these shots when the concepts are so easy to understand. I try and tell my teammates this all the time to the point, if it is deep at all, I will just take the timeout and explain it to them again, because it seems if I dont I get to watch the cull ball flying into the pocket and hear a confused explanation of "I hit it low!" or "I hit it with left!"

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call it "Shots that look like hangers but really aren't". Those shots with the ball in the pocket jaws(or real close) can be run-wreckers. Look so easy and yet we all get stung by them.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This seems like a popular topic. I'll move it higher on my list.

In the mean time, I already have many videos dealing with all popular and useful systems here:

bank and kick shot aiming systems

But it would still be useful to have one video summarizing all of the most important stuff you need to know.

Thanks for the input,
Dave
Maybe a "fundamental skills" series and an "in depth skills" one...?

pj
chgo