Pool Ball Collecting.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Thank you very much indeed, Mr B. :)

I’ll chat with the other guys involved to see how far along we are with our plans.

I’ll also have a look up in the attic to see if there’s any cue brochures or business cards left over from my time in the industry in the 1980s and 1990s.

Best wishes and thank you again.

RC. :)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like balls, I have 20 sets. From mud balls to current. Raschig(spelled wrong) are among my favorites.

I’d love to see all the balls. Junk balls too, they are mainly for adverts which is cool.

Good luck on your quest,
Fatboy

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Thank you very much indeed, Mr B. :)

I’ll chat with the other guys involved to see how far along we are with our plans.

I’ll also have a look up in the attic to see if there’s any cue brochures or business cards left over from my time in the industry in the 1980s and 1990s.

Best wishes and thank you again.

RC. :)

Any time RC. If you don't collect, I'd love to add them to my collection - if any are found. He and I will be scanning and uploading our collections as an online archive to share. Everything will be watermarked to avoid counterfeiting. I think your collections would be a nice addition.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, Mr F. :)

Thank you for your good wishes, sir. We would all love to see your pool ball collection if you have time to post up some pictures.

Best wishes,

RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello again, Mr B. :)

You will be very welcome to any brochures and business cards I can find, dear chap.

I certainly once had every brochure produced by my fellow cuemakers in the UK during the 1980s, but have a sinking feeling that they were lost during a house move about fifteen years ago. :(

I promise to search this evening, sir.

Best wishes,

RC.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Aramith Snooker Plus. Insert Card 13.

Hello, ladies and gentlemen. :)

Here is a screenshot of the latest insert card, part of an ongoing project to record the historical provenance of my treasured billiard ball collection. If anyone is interested to learn a little more about the camera technique employed to counter lens distortion, or how I drew the computer generated image at the base of the card, please refer back to the original post (number 1133).

I'm slowly uploading pictures of my entire collection to AZB's private album section. If you would like to view this gallery as it grows, just click on the link below.

Many thanks for reading and best wishes,

RC.

Attachments

• Aramith Snooker Plus 50.jpg
    Aramith Snooker Plus 50.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting, Rupert. Do you know where the two additional colors would be spotted? I suppose the rules to this snooker game would be identical, otherwise?

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good morning, Meucci. :)

The orange was spotted between the pink and blue, while the purple spot was midway between the brown and blue (not quite sure if it could pass the yellow and green to the baulk pickets).

The rules otherwise were indeed almost the same as those for a standard game of snooker. Although, if a frame ended in a tie, the purple was re-spotted on the black spot for some reason.

Best wishes, dear fellow.

Game Hunter

Registered
Interesting, Rupert. Do you know where the two additional colors would be spotted? I suppose the rules to this snooker game would be identical, otherwise?

Here's a diagram: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Snooker_plus_table_drawing.svg

I'm surprised snooker plus balls were made as late as the 80s. Was there an exhibition game at the Crucible? Outside the 1959 debut tournament, it seemed to have been played sparingly. Jackie Rea made a break of 156 at some point. Here's an April Fool's joke from two years ago about snooker plus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58sU2hKuVhg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Excellent post, Game Hunter! :)

Thank you so much for linking that video, sir. A great contribution to the thread!

Best wishes,

RC.

Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Random Black Singles. Insert Card 14.

Hello, ladies and gentlemen. :)

Here is a screenshot of the latest insert card, part of an ongoing project to record the historical provenance of my treasured billiard ball collection. If anyone is interested to learn a little more about the camera technique employed to counter lens distortion, or how I drew the computer generated image at the base of the card, please refer back to the original post (number 1133).

Best wishes,

RC.

Attachments

• Random Black Spots 50.jpg
    Random Black Spots 50.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Aramith Poker Balls?

Good afternoon, everyone. :)

I’m compiling an insert card for these vintage poker pool balls and was hoping a few experts or forum historians could help out with a little extra information, please?

I first bought an example of this beautiful set in 1990, but they almost certainly date from quite a bit earlier. The balls represent one of my personal favourite sets and I’ve acquired several over the years. The quality is exceptional, a depth of lustre and sound similar to Raschigs or Aramith Duramith balls. Every set I have ever seen, without exception, has been cased in one of the green, faded, MADE IN BELGIUM boxes pictured.

Here are my questions:

1. Although their name is absent anywhere on the box, can anybody offer confirmatory evidence that these poker pool balls were definitely manufactured by Aramith? I think the chances are high that they were (very few of the era could match this quality) but I’m not one-hundred percent sure.

2. I believe this set originated in the 1970s or 1980s. Could any of the learned magazine historians narrow that timescale, perhaps?

Many thanks for reading, ladies and gentlemen. Any help and information will be most gratefully received.

Attachments

• 77040CAC-15AB-46DE-AA30-A64800601BD3.jpeg
    77040CAC-15AB-46DE-AA30-A64800601BD3.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 410
  • FA140F0A-4CD5-4733-A237-4B002B767F4A.jpeg
    FA140F0A-4CD5-4733-A237-4B002B767F4A.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 423

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
A quick update to my plea for help in the post above.

I have since been able to establish that those faded green MADE IN BELGIUM boxes were indeed supplied by Aramith pre 1980s. That’s great news for me, but I’d still love to learn this set’s manufacture date with a little more accuracy.

Best wishes. :)

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
A quick update to my plea for help in the post above.

I have since been able to establish that those faded green MADE IN BELGIUM boxes were indeed supplied by Aramith pre 1980s. That’s great news for me, but I’d still love to learn this set’s manufacture date with a little more accuracy.

I don't check the forums every day so I'm a little late. My father had the same box for his set, purchased in the late 60's. His were a standard numbered set, made by Aramith.

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Hello, Trent. :)

I have seen that style of set a few times before, sir. They scream 1960s to me, the sort of thing one could imagine in an Austin Powers movie.

I believe the balls are made from acrylic, much less dense than the phenolic resins of today and therefore lighter. The cueball in the picture is clearly a substitute.

Many thanks for sharing, dear chap. :)