deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i enjoted the story too

crane was a great player for sure,be fun to see him play schmidt

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yep....Irving was the Deacon....only saw him a few times...people didn’t raise their voice
around him.

Second last time I saw him was in Rochester at the Brunswick owned room..Olympic?
...my buddy Pat Howie had played him in that room...beat Irving 200 to about 60....
...Irving never spoke to him again.

Irving claimed he was hard luck for people coming up with big runs against him...
..he might’ve been right...Canada’s George Chenier had the first 150 in a world tourney...
...yep, it was on Irving...George also held the high run in the world snooker...144...
...which was disallowed later...the templates found one of the pockets too forgiving.

The matches in world play used to be 125, or a 150 would’ve been ran earlier, I’m sure.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. Crane was one of my favorite players even though he could be a little icy. I had to have a cue just like his.

I read the article when it came out. I was in San Antonio at the time. I believe that the article was distributed to only part of SI's circulation so if you try to get a copy of that issue, be careful.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
"Recently—in Rochester, no less—Crane was passed over for a seat at the head table at the annual Hickock Belt awards dinner in favor of a local horseshoe player and he has yet to be accepted into Rochester's own sports Wall of Fame."

My, how times haven't changed.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
"Recently—in Rochester, no less—Crane was passed over for a seat at the head table at the annual Hickock Belt awards dinner in favor of a local horseshoe player and he has yet to be accepted into Rochester's own sports Wall of Fame."

My, how times haven't changed.

I just looked up the Halls of Fame for Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse.
Danny Diliberto’s name was easy to find for Buffalo... BDB0A30B-A19F-48BD-BEF3-ECC912D06F4D.jpeg

CDE3A452-7FEC-42E2-9141-A04F81A7363F.jpeg

Arthur Cranfield was just as easy to find for Syracuse

When I tried to get a list for Rochester....all I got was a 404....site is a shambles.
...so I can’t even find out if Irving finally made it in....I sorta doubt it.

So I’m going to contact Lynn Weschler to see if he can do something about it.
I’m a little pissed off at the City of Rochester right now....:angry:
...Irving Crane was a world champion in FOUR DIFFERENT DECADES

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
That was pretty cool. Thank you for posting that. One thing the article didn't touch on, but I've gleaned from reading old source material is that Crane's longevity was pretty remarkable. He might have been second fiddle to Mosconi for a long time and maybe didn't have the firepower, but Crane was still playing great 14.1 into the early 70s at the Stardust tournaments.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
I heard a story about a young Mike Sigel asking Crane to practice one day. Crane ran 246 then played him safe. :D

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you all liked it as did i. It was sent to me via FB by fellow AZ'r Greyghost. SI's Vault is a treasure trove of classic sports-writing. Rarely, IF ever, do we see sports covered so eloquently these days. Some of those guys could actually make you see a baseball/football game just thru their words. I miss it.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great article, thanks for sharing.

And to return the favor, here's another terrific SI article, this one about Danny D:

August 8, 1977: Easy Times The Hard Way

Darkness. Eighty miles from Albuquerque, and the 3 a.m. air is clear and still outside the tavern save for a chorus of singing tires fading down the highway. Shapes jumble together in the parking lot: Cadillacs, pickup trucks, even a police cruiser, all squatting near a faded frame building whose rusty sign urges consumption of a local beer. A visitor knocks on the front door, mumbles a greeting and is ushered inside and down a long hallway. Another door opens, and for an instant the heart quickens and pupils contract at the sudden glare, the smell of money and the hint of violence.

The room is stale and blue with cigarette smoke but it has a kinetic feel to it, and Danny DiLiberto, Danny D, is the center of attention as he stalks the rich, green-felt billiard table. Men in chairs with paper bags of money between their legs, men perched languidly on tables, men leaning at odd angles in a corner, all stare at Danny D as he considers his next shot. After 30-odd hours, two nights and a day, against a variety of changing partners, at times no longer caring about winning or losing but shooting on instinct, his mind filling with the combinations and possibilities, Danny D now has the shot to end it. His opponent is shirtless and slouching, looking bored and insolent, a young, redheaded boy of about 20, an amateur boxer with teeth too big for his freckled face. Danny D is playing him one pocket, the champagne game to some pool hustlers, spotting the kid two balls. Now he needs one more to win the game and go "five ahead," meaning five games ahead in the series, which means victory in the match. ...

Another feature of this article is it has a brief interview with the late Denny Searcy, the big winner in the legendary 1974 Dayton payball game, the one that featured Buddy Hall, Mike Siegel, St. Looie Looie, Jimmy Reid, Richie Florence, and countless other all-time greats. And Searcy beat 'em all.

In Joe Burns' office, Denny Searcy has a beer and a sandwich, enjoying a respite from the game. He has given another player $400 to shoot his stick while he rests, and with a shrug he estimates that during the surrogate's fill-in he could lose $4,000 in potential winnings. "I never figured I'd get tired of shooting pay-ball," he says wearily, "but I am. The table is mine and those guys are mine. It's my game. It's not like I worked for it. It's like free money. Maybe if I worked for it, I wouldn't go out and shoot pool with it. But I don't know. I've never worked. Sometimes I think about it, what it would be like, going to work every day, getting some security. But I don't know. How could someone like me open up a business? What do I know about running a business?"

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice article. I like the last part where Mosconi actually says Crane will dominate the game for a long time. This was very high praise coming from the Legend himself.