OB or should I say SP

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Won't that be based on the will or some company documentation? Won't working at a company be different than owning a part of the profit? I would think that as an part owner of something, my kids may be entitled to profits from the company but not be entitled to run it. I like OB as a company but did find that message from the widow a bit disturbing.

Good point. Still profiting from her "half" but not involved in the day to day decision making of the company. Thus, fired from running it, not fired from owning it. Though, to be honest, if she does in fact still own half the company or whatever percentage she has, certainly not very business savvy to start bad mouthing the company.

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Won't that be based on the will or some company documentation? Won't working at a company be different than owning a part of the profit? I would think that as an part owner of something, my kids may be entitled to profits from the company but not be entitled to run it. I like OB as a company but did find that message from the widow a bit disturbing.

A good business plan includes a buy-sell agreement should an unforeseen event affect one of the partners/officers. This avoids negotiations after one's death or incapacity and creates a clear and clean path for the business to continue.

I have been involved with the purchase and succession of several businesses and it is common that employees will not be comfortable under new management or receptive of the changes that accompany it.

Occasionally former owners, will be unhappy with the business plan of the new owner or successor and some prepare for that possibility by specifically excluding the former owner from being a part of the new operation.

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
A good business plan includes a buy-sell agreement should an unforeseen event affect one of the partners/officers. This avoids negotiations after one's death or incapacity and creates a clear and clean path for the business to continue.

I have been involved with the purchase and succession of several businesses and it is common that employees will not be comfortable under new management or receptive of the changes that accompany it.

Occasionally former owners, will be unhappy with the business plan of the new owner or successor and some prepare for that possibility by specifically excluding the former owner from being a part of the new operation.

Look at what a mess George Steinbrener's kids have made of the NY Yankees. GS may have been hard nosed, but he never took himself too seriously and was a class act. His kids are slowly destroying the dynasty. The way they treated Jeter at contract time was a disgrace, I mean, they basically forced him out. GS must be spinning in his grave.

Anyways, many businesses suffer greatly after an owner or major shareholder (who's also running the company) dies. The business plan is up for question, old agreements become subject to questions of interpretation or reinterpretation, and basically lawyers make a boat load of cash (don't hate the player, hate the game), Dollars to donuts this is at the heart of the drama at OB. I seriously doubt there's any real crisis of quality. -Z-

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Look at what a mess George Steinbrener's kids have made of the NY Yankees. GS may have been hard nosed, but he never took himself too seriously and was a class act. His kids are slowly destroying the dynasty. The way they treated Jeter at contract time was a disgrace, I mean, they basically forced him out. GS must be spinning in his grave.

Anyways, many businesses suffer greatly after an owner or major shareholder (who's also running the company) dies. The business plan is up for question, old agreements become subject to questions of interpretation or reinterpretation, and basically lawyers make a boat load of cash (don't hate the player, hate the game), Dollars to donuts this is a
t the heart of the drama at OB. I seriously doubt there's any real crisis of quality. -Z-

Now, look at the Blackhaws, the old man died, his son took over and within a decade of his death, they win 3 Stanley Cups, and are always in the hunt to win another. Sometimes, the reverse happens when an owner dies, things get better, and sometimes a LOT better. The old owner refused to put home games on TV as he thought it would affect the attendance at home games. Just idiotic beyond belief. That was changed right quick once he passed.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the Billiards Expo has come and gone. A lot of great new innovative things going on in the billiard industry. A lot of new cue builders & companies out there. Some really cool stuff & some not so great stuff.
Speaking of the not so great stuff, if you ordered an OB cue at the expo, be prepared that it is not what was advertised.
“In March 2012 we were finally ready to start building complete cues so we launched the 2012 OB Cue line which consisted of 10 different playing cues built right here in our factory in Plano, Texas incorporating technologies in the butt of the cue that we researched for almost 2 years –Royces way The cues also has a Straight Line Core (SLC). The SLC construction guarantees a cue that is straighter, stronger, more stable and stiffer. This means that your cue will be built straight, stay straight and hit great. The cue also has a Centralized Balance System. This means that weight has been placed in very specific locations throughout the butt of the cue to create an evenly balanced cue with feedback that is both crisp and lively. It really has to be felt to be appreciated. Custom feel in a production cue”Also Royces way
This is NO LONGER the case in the, shall we call it the SP (Sinott/Perry) cue. Dale Perry has come on to consult OB cues in effiency, which basically means that they have done away with the Straight Line Core construction and have started building them the way that Dale Perry builds his cheap ass ebay cues. Where quality doesn’t mean shit and quantity means everything. No Core, No centralized balanced system, just straight crap. Get as many out as you can, as fast as you can to meet orders.
“Do you think anybody will notice the difference in the “$1000 OB-135 if we build it the way Royce showed you how to build it or if we build it the way Dale Perry builds his cues?
“Yes I do, OB has a following that follows a certain construction method, the Royce construction method, the construction method that makes OB what it is & that people love.”
“They will never know the difference” –Shane Sinnott
I was the Master cue blanks builder for almost 5 years for OB Cues & this is part of the conversation we had on the day that I quit when Shane Sinnott & Dale Perry came at me with a different construction method in order to produce a larger quantity of cues, disregarding quality. It was all about filling orders, so building them in the fast, money driven way that Perry builds his $99 ebay cues was asked of me and I refused to change the way that I constructed OB Cues, the way Royce showed me how to construct OB Cues.
An employee was denied a well deserved raise after 9 years of service with OB & forced to quit. I myself as the ONLY blanks cuebuilder was passed over on a shop wide raise twice in the past 2 years. This is how OB treats its employees. Of course I am biased, and a little pissed about the situation at hand, but everything I speak of is the truth.
I know there are Dale Perry cheap ass ebay cue fans out there , but I also know that there are OB Cues fans that I, personally, have built a quality blood, sweat, and tears OB Cue for in the past 5 years. I just want you to know that from here on out you will not be getting a quality built OB Cue, because there is no one there to build them the way I built them, the way ROYCE showed me how to build them.
Instead, as part of the conversation went….
Royce is no longer part of this company…..you will be receiving a cue that is constructed with nothing but quantity in mind. So make your decision to buy any OB products wisely and keep in mind that the company is now run in the mindset…………QUANTITY OVER QUALITY!!!!!!

I was thinking about buying an OB-135, the very cue mentioned in this conversation. The cue is advertised as new by one of the online retailers with the following description:

This cue also features a Straight Line Core (SLC). The SLC construction guarantees a cue that is Straighter, Stronger, more Stable and Stiffer. This means that your cue will be built straight, stay straight and hit great.

This cue also has a Centralized Balance System. This means that weight has been placed in very specific locations throughout the butt of the cue to create an evenly balanced cue with feedback that is both crisp and lively. It really has to be felt to be appreciated. Custom feel in a production cue!

Should I assume that description is false? In what year would the cue have to have been constructed for it to be a high quality cue?

Last edited:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking about buying an OB-135, the very cue mentioned in this conversation. The cue is advertised as new by one of the online retailers with the following description:

Should I assume that description is false? In what year would the cue have to have been constructed for it to be a high quality cue?

It could have been built pre change-Find out!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the cues they build in-house, except sneakies, have that coring system. The earlier OB cues had butts made by JOSS and those are cored also.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you like the way the cue looks buy it. Don't even bother with all the crap written about Dale Perry coming in and changing things. Dale was not responsible for all the defective shafts and butts OB was sending out.

skiergd011013

well OB shut down for a while to restructure and work on their quality control, and is now under new management. I just placed a custom cue order with them a week ago and they were very friendly and seemed knowledgeable. I talked to one of the managers, amy, and she seemed very proficient at her job. The cue is going to take 10 weeks, so they aren't just spitting cues out to fill orders at lightning speed. I will update when I have my cue. here is their message (from end of 2019)

OB Cues Official Re-Opening......

November 4th!

There are some changes at OB Cues. OB Closed down for the month of October to reorganize, restructure and refocus the company in regards to production, quality control and customer service. Moving forward, OB will be focusing on building shafts. Once current cue inventory is sold, there will be no standing inventory, all future cue orders will be built to order. All shafts will have white ferrules - the wooden ferrule will now be a $30 upgrade-able option on all shafts.We will maintain inventory on 8 playing shafts and 2 break shafts.

The website update will be completed soon, so be sure to check out www.obcues.com to see the latest news. The office hours are 9am-5pm (closed 12-1 for lunch). Call 972.578.9100 and talk to David Reyes, or email sales@obcues.com. Everything is still proudly made in the U.S.A.

President Jesse Garcia is happy to announce that Mark Griffin has come aboard as the new CEO. With over 50 years of involvement in the industry, Mark is quite well known. He has owned several pool rooms, was the founder of CSI (CueSports Industrial), owner of the BCAPL, a partner in Diamond Billiards, and a partner in TAR. He currently owns Griff's Bar & Billiards in Las Vegas. OB is glad to have Mark working with OB and the staff welcomes him.

"I have known the owners of OB for many years (including Royce) and I feel the company makes an innovative and excellent product line. I feel the company just needs a little fine tuning and I'm very excited to be involved in making OB Cues a better and more responsive company. Our quality control and customer service will become among the best in the industry. OB has a very good crew in place and I think I can elevate the entire operation. This will be a lot of fun... If anyone has any questions or comments, they can contact me directly at 702.835.2000 or email me at markg@obcues.com. I will do whatever I can to improve OB Cues and the future world of pool."

OB Cues wants to thank all of our past, present and future customers for your loyalty and patience during this restructuring process. We have the best customers in the world and value each and every one.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well OB shut down for a while to restructure and work on their quality control, and is now under new management. I just placed a custom cue order with them a week ago and they were very friendly and seemed knowledgeable. I talked to one of the managers, amy, and she seemed very proficient at her job. The cue is going to take 10 weeks, so they aren't just spitting cues out to fill orders at lightning speed. I will update when I have my cue. here is their message (from end of 2019)

OB Cues Official Re-Opening......

November 4th!

There are some changes at OB Cues. OB Closed down for the month of October to reorganize, restructure and refocus the company in regards to production, quality control and customer service. Moving forward, OB will be focusing on building shafts. Once current cue inventory is sold, there will be no standing inventory, all future cue orders will be built to order. All shafts will have white ferrules - the wooden ferrule will now be a $30 upgrade-able option on all shafts.We will maintain inventory on 8 playing shafts and 2 break shafts.

The website update will be completed soon, so be sure to check out www.obcues.com to see the latest news. The office hours are 9am-5pm (closed 12-1 for lunch). Call 972.578.9100 and talk to David Reyes, or email sales@obcues.com. Everything is still proudly made in the U.S.A.

President Jesse Garcia is happy to announce that Mark Griffin has come aboard as the new CEO. With over 50 years of involvement in the industry, Mark is quite well known. He has owned several pool rooms, was the founder of CSI (CueSports Industrial), owner of the BCAPL, a partner in Diamond Billiards, and a partner in TAR. He currently owns Griff's Bar & Billiards in Las Vegas. OB is glad to have Mark working with OB and the staff welcomes him.

"I have known the owners of OB for many years (including Royce) and I feel the company makes an innovative and excellent product line. I feel the company just needs a little fine tuning and I'm very excited to be involved in making OB Cues a better and more responsive company. Our quality control and customer service will become among the best in the industry. OB has a very good crew in place and I think I can elevate the entire operation. This will be a lot of fun... If anyone has any questions or comments, they can contact me directly at 702.835.2000 or email me at markg@obcues.com. I will do whatever I can to improve OB Cues and the future world of pool."

OB Cues wants to thank all of our past, present and future customers for your loyalty and patience during this restructuring process. We have the best customers in the world and value each and every one.
I talked to them on the phone just before SBE earlier this year. They said they are no longer producing the wood ferrule. They couldn't justify the cost to produce them. They are basically now a custom cue maker. No more mass production.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I talked to them on the phone just before SBE earlier this year. They said they are no longer producing the wood ferrule. They couldn't justify the cost to produce them. They are basically now a custom cue maker. No more mass production.
It was nothing more than a gimmick to go along with their funky spiral laminated shafts. They hit like a wad of gum stuck to your shaft. SUPER soft. Never liked it. The white ferrules on later models were way better imo.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It was nothing more than a gimmick to go along with their funky spiral laminated shafts. They hit like a wad of gum stuck to your shaft. SUPER soft. Never liked it. The white ferrules on later models were way better imo.
I have an OB1+ with the wood ferrule. Try hitting it with a hard Morri on the end. Completely different beast. Its my preferred shaft.