• Tony Layne Break

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • BeCue Dark Matter

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

A-A-RON

Registered
Looking at a few different break cues right now. Need to upgrade from this run of the mill McDermott Stinger. I've been doing alot of reading on a few different cues. Everything from regular maple to dymondwood to carbon fiber.
My question to yall is of the ones listed what do yall prefer and why?

OB Rift
Samsara Break
Jumping Jax Break
Tony Layne Break
BeCue Carbon Fiber

(All cues being dedicated break only)

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Looking at a few different break cues right now. Need to upgrade from this run of the mill McDermott Stinger. I've been doing alot of reading on a few different cues. Everything from regular maple to dymondwood to carbon fiber.
My question to yall is of the ones listed what do yall prefer and why?

OB Rift
Samsara Break
Jumping Jax Break
Tony Layne Break
BeCue Carbon Fiber

(All cues being dedicated break only)
What are you looking for in a break cue that the Stinger can't do?

A-A-RON

Registered
What are you looking for in a break cue that the Stinger can't do?

I've been using the Stinger for a couple years now. Its just time for me to try something else. Feel I could find something with a bit more solid feel behind it. Im not a power breaker so I need something to compliment that.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a used OB rift shaft I will sell you... They are good. Depending upon the shaft. They have 2. A speed shaft and control shaft. I replaced the tip on mine with a cyborg.

Last edited:

A-A-RON

Registered
I have a used OB rift shaft I will sell you... They are good. Depending upon the shaft. They have 2. A speed shaft and control shaft. I replaced the tip on me with a cyborg.

When I buy im buying brand new but thanks anyways!

danomano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am very happy with my Poison VX3 break cue, as I am able to hit it hard and keep control of whitey - not in the market for another cue. Liked it better than any of the more expensive options I have tried.

That said, I was very surprised recently when I tried the Predator BK Rush. A friend of mine had just bought it and was raving about it, so I gave it a whirl. I didn't give it 100% since it was so new (and so expensive) but the rack exploded! I tried a few more with varying speeds, and same result each time...balls flying in the hole. I have probably used it around 30 breaks thus far, and am more impressed each time. Meanwhile, the owner is a woman who does not break very hard, and she is still getting a great spread each time. So basically it is a great option for drastically different skill levels. For anyone who is not as worried about the price tag, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Best of luck finding something that fits you!

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I switched from a stinger to the ob rift with rubber grip. I got both shafts the control and the speed. I hate the speed!!!!! The speed was almost identical to the stinger, but the control is a whole different feel! These ob's have been around a while I'm sure someone has one near you to hit some with it! Yes I will buy another,

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I buy im buying brand new but thanks anyways!

I always buy new too.. I just know the OB shaft will fit your stinger and I figured 80 dollars to try out a shaft was cheaper than 460 for a OB Rift which you may not like.

I do recommend Samsara too. I hear nothing but good stuff about their break cues.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I've been using the Stinger for a couple years now. Its just time for me to try something else. Feel I could find something with a bit more solid feel behind it. Im not a power breaker so I need something to compliment that.

If that's the case you need the bkrush. I have severe back issues and can't break hard either. The transfer of energy in the rush is awesome and even though I'm not breaking hard I get stunning explosion on the racks.

A-A-RON

Registered
I am very happy with my Poison VX3 break cue, as I am able to hit it hard and keep control of whitey - not in the market for another cue. Liked it better than any of the more expensive options I have tried.

That said, I was very surprised recently when I tried the Predator BK Rush. A friend of mine had just bought it and was raving about it, so I gave it a whirl. I didn't give it 100% since it was so new (and so expensive) but the rack exploded! I tried a few more with varying speeds, and same result each time...balls flying in the hole. I have probably used it around 30 breaks thus far, and am more impressed each time. Meanwhile, the owner is a woman who does not break very hard, and she is still getting a great spread each time. So basically it is a great option for drastically different skill levels. For anyone who is not as worried about the price tag, I would HIGHLY recommend it. Best of luck finding something that fits you!

Not a fan of Predator, tried the BK2 & Rush. Not bad for breaking but just not for me. Thx for the reply though.

A-A-RON

Registered
I switched from a stinger to the ob rift with rubber grip. I got both shafts the control and the speed. I hate the speed!!!!! The speed was almost identical to the stinger, but the control is a whole different feel! These ob's have been around a while I'm sure someone has one near you to hit some with it! Yes I will buy another,

Heard the same thing about the Control shaft being a different animal. Unfortunately, no one I know in my league uses an OB Rift or at least that im not aware of.

A-A-RON

Registered
I always buy new too.. I just know the OB shaft will fit your stinger and I figured 80 dollars to try out a shaft was cheaper than 460 for a OB Rift which you may not like.

I do recommend Samsara too. I hear nothing but good stuff about their break cues.

Heard great things about Samsara as well. But, I want to buy a dedicated breaker and get away from the J/B cues. Also, I don't mind spending the money on a cue. I know I can recoup majority of it back in a sale if I dont like it.

A-A-RON

Registered
If that's the case you need the bkrush. I have severe back issues and can't break hard either. The transfer of energy in the rush is awesome and even though I'm not breaking hard I get stunning explosion on the racks.

I just choose to not break hard, im more of a control break... maybe 60-80% power depending on the conditions and game being played. I have tried the Rush, but the feel of it doesn't suit what im looking for. I've tried a Dymondwood (don't remember which one, I think Alex Brick) and was pleasantly surprised by it. But have also heard great things about OB & Samsara. BeCue I just kinda threw in there as a 3rd alternative.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I break with a sneaky made by the same maker as my playing cue. Nothing really special to it. 13mm shaft and a Kamui Black Hard tip. Breaks great. Good control.

A-A-RON

Registered
As a poster above said, the OB Rift might be what you’re looking for. The “control” shaft has their laminated wood ferrule with a hard leather Samsara tip. Sounds like it may suit you.

Their “speed” shaft has a short linen melamine ferrule with a phenolic tip, which might be closer to the Stinger you’re currently using.

https://www.obcues.com/categories/OB-Break-Cues/

I haven’t used either, but have heard good things. I use an old Mike Betts J/B with a Hammerhead tip and I like it better than hard leather or phenolic. Have you looked into all the various break tip available?

The Control shaft would definitely be my choice if I went OB. I've used a few different breaks tips, currently using the Samsara (much rather that over phenolic). I do want to try out the Hammerhead though. Have heard great things about it, plus Chris Renfro is a stand up guy in my book. Another tip I want to try as a breaker is the Kamui Clear Black Hard, White Diamond & Tiger IceBreaker. I will definitely try the Hammerhead first then White Diamond.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I have the BeCue Dark Matter break cue. Although I am certainly breaking well with it, I think that I'm going to get the BK Rush Break Cue with a carbon fiber shaft (which is like the Revo, but designed stronger for breaking).

After playing with a 12.4 mm Revo playing shaft, it's so much slicker than the Dark Matter break cue, that I'm willing to fork over another ~$700 to try out the BK Rush Break Cue because it has the same slick coating on it as the regular Revo shaft.