Kim Laaksonen vs Roland Garcia live from Philippines

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where are they playing? What pool room/bar is that? Is it in Manila or Angeles City?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Finland Number one ranked player Kim Laaksonen((Kim is boys name here in Finland btw)) visiting Philippines and playing against Roland Garcia right now. Moneygame Race to 20.
So far Kim is running like water and 3-0 up.
Efren Owned Kim earlier with modified 10-ball rules. 18-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwN...WzPt_xqXUtAa3Q2vnfeSpXXaDQwacC0BO6GKM0Rmx_R3c

Edit:
P.s Internet not the best so can be choppy sometimes. -.-

Kim Davenport, our latest BCA hall of famer, thinks 'Kim' is a boys name over here also.
:wink:
...thanx for the stream

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
15-15 it is race to 5
Alternate break and Garcia won lag.
FR Garcia 782 Kim 772

Too close to call ;)

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I watched the last hour. That rack that Kim navigates through to go up 16-15 was extremely difficult. He went for a 4 ball carom off the 9 in the side to open up a small cluster and give him a loooong shot on the five. That was brilliant.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Kim wins 20-16...Roland got a nasty scratch...and Kim came through.

..I wonder how he plays right handed...:smile:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yep, I found out it was in the Eight Ball Sports Bar in Angeles. I have a home there and I knew Roland lives there, as well as Efren.

Not surprised that Roland lives near Efren.....
..Roland played a kill shot on a one-ball with extreme low inside english...
...closest I've seen to how Efren hits it.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard Kim have rematch vs. Efren on wednesday. I post link when i get it.

That would be awesome, thanks! I really enjoyed watching the replay of today's match.

I know this will make me sound like the typical A-hole American, and I KNOW I should know better, but when I clicked on the link I was surprised they were not playing outdoors with people way to close making way to much noise. That looked like it could be any bar anywhere.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
That would be awesome, thanks! I really enjoyed watching the replay of today's match.

I know this will make me sound like the typical A-hole American, and I KNOW I should know better, but when I clicked on the link I was surprised they were not playing outdoors with people way to close making way to much noise. That looked like it could be any bar anywhere.

I guarantee you that there were many people there betting game by game. They pay off from the previous game first, and then make their new bets while the balls are being racked. I love that atmosphere. You could hear all the noise in the background while the match was going on. That's how pool is in the Philippines. Too bad they didn't pan around and show us the crowd watching (and betting). I'm sure they had a good crowd sweating that match.

By the way, commentator Ted Lerner was the long time backer of Roland Garcia. Ted lives in Angeles also and even has a business there.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bar is called 1991 on Fields Ave. It used to be called Eruptions. The crowd was mostly expats so not a lot of betting. Efren played great on Saturday night. I watched Kim practice for about an hour on Saturday. Ran racks of 10 ball in order. Efren came in later and hit a few balls but really wanted to play chess to relax before the match. It was a great night of pool.