European taper and others...

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What are the main types of tapers on modern pool cues? How do they differ? If there are too many that complicate the answer, I’d be interested I only knowing about 2-3. Thank you in advance.

Cheers

billsey

Registered
The bulk of the difference is between a pro taper and a European taper. Euros start the taper angle immediately off the ferule and pros stay untapered for a distance before starting the angle. You'll find there are lots of variations on both and lots of people passionate about what's best. :)

Lizardking

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The bulk of the difference is between a pro taper and a European taper. Euros start the taper angle immediately off the ferule and pros stay untapered for a distance before starting the angle. You'll find there are lots of variations on both and lots of people passionate about what's best. :)

Perfect!!! Thank you immensely!! It just so happens that the (2) shafts I’m dealing with have tapers that reflect exactly what you describe. I have several pro tapered shafts that have different length pro tapers (10”, 12” and one 15”). I’m sure different cue makers prefer one over the other. Once again, thank you very much.

Cheers