π—₯π—’π—•π—œπ—‘π—¦π—’π—‘ π—–π—’π— π—£π—Ÿπ—˜π—§π—˜π—¦ π—§π—˜π—”π—  𝗨𝗦𝗔

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not 100% versed on how everything’s panned out over the last decade.

What happened with Justin Hall? Why didn’t he grow into a Team USA staple over the years? He was on the team once and his particular record was positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really tire of this argument. The Mosconi is a marathon, not a sprint, which is why it's very rare that the favored team doesn't win. It takes 55 racks won to lift the trophy, and it's a very tall order if you don't have the stronger side.
Not exactly a race to 55. Technically, over the possible 21 race to 5 matches, your team could conceivably win 94 games to 55 games still lose the cup.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not exactly a race to 55. Technically, over the possible 21 race to 5 matches, your team could conceivably win 94 games to 55 games still lose the cup.

Very good point, Chris, but it's a long, long match and finding a winning formula is hard if you're not the better team. I wonder if the losing team has ever won more racks than the winning team at the Mosconi. I'm betting no, which means that for twenty five years, the Mosconi has amounted to a race to the number of racks needed to secure the title.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fair enough. But I think it also sings to a different strategy from how the 2013 team was assembled.

Agreed. Mark tried to set the right precedent by going young on some of his picks.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very good point, Chris, but it's a long, long match and finding a winning formula is hard if you're not the better team. I wonder if the losing team has ever won more racks than the winning team at the Mosconi. I'm betting no, which means that for twenty five years, the Mosconi has amounted to a race to the number of racks needed to secure the title.
Stu, possibly someone will do the research to find an answer to that question, but it won't be me!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
π—₯π—’π—•π—œπ—‘π—¦π—’π—‘ π—–π—’π— π—£π—Ÿπ—˜π—§π—˜π—¦ π—§π—˜π—”π—  𝗨𝗦𝗔

They shoulda picked me!

I live Earl's passion

I was 90% sure when he broke out laughing that it was going to turn into sobbing. It just had that vibe to it.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I would say Chris' pick is no more of a shock than Tyler a couple of years ago. I remember a number of people were ready to toss in the towel after that.

If I had to guess, Jeremy is trying to develop a broader section of talent as opposed to having to rely on the same players each time. Coming off of two consecutive wins, I think he has a bit more freedom to experiment because the other players will be coming in with a bit of confidence.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was 90% sure when he broke out laughing that it was going to turn into sobbing. It just had that vibe to it.

Getting old is not for the weak!

Kudos to him for still getting out there when
his peers are long gone from the game.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as long as they pick kazakis we are fine?

I don't know enough abut Chris to make a determination but that's what I was thinking while reading the comments - maybe he was picked because he pairs up well with one of their players?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I would say Chris' pick is no more of a shock than Tyler a couple of years ago. I remember a number of people were ready to toss in the towel after that.

If I had to guess, Jeremy is trying to develop a broader section of talent as opposed to having to rely on the same players each time. Coming off of two consecutive wins, I think he has a bit more freedom to experiment because the other players will be coming in with a bit of confidence.

Very logical.... I keep looking at the AZ front page, he looks a little like Filler, maybe it's just the camera angle/hair doo.

Last edited:

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on skill levels, Tyler and Chris are very close, as indicated by their Fargo Ratings of 755 vs 742, respectively.

Therefore, I take it that JJ used some other factor when choosing Chris. Maybe a less tangible factor like team chemistry, or wanting to give a different young player a chance to see how they will perform under those specific conditions and stresses. Giving a new, young player the experience of playing under those conditions will expand the pool of available players to use into the future.

_______
Styer's Fargo rating is a bit deceiving. He regularly wins big matches against 800+ Fargos. Not saying Chris won't perform well too, but Tyler has proven himself to have the skill and the mental fortitude to do well under the heat. I get that he has also had less than stellar performances here and there, but as mentioned before, he did recently play a long race against Chris, and it wasn't really very close. I realize that was 10 ball and Tyler's break is a MASSIVE advantage over most, but I still believe that Tyler would have been a great choice. I wish Chris the best and I hope he comes through. He works hard as well.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Styer's Fargo rating is a bit deceiving. He regularly wins big matches against 800+ Fargos. Not saying Chris won't perform well too, but Tyler has proven himself to have the skill and the mental fortitude to do well under the heat. I get that he has also had less than stellar performances here and there, but as mentioned before, he did recently play a long race against Chris, and it wasn't really very close. I realize that was 10 ball and Tyler's break is a MASSIVE advantage over most, but I still believe that Tyler would have been a great choice. I wish Chris the best and I hope he comes through. He works hard as well.

I definitely hear you. I watched the entire 10 ball match between Tyler and Chris. And in my opinion, Tylie is clearly the better 10 ball player. In fact, I would have chosen Tylie for the Mosconi Cup if it was my decision. But I do understand giving Chris a try if the intention is to give a new young gun some experience to be utilized in the future. Chris still has a relatively high Fargo Rating, so if he brings his best game, he should do as well as Tyler did last year.

_______

Jandersen9

Registered
In my opinion this is a big mistake. I have been watching tons of his videos , he often makes mistakes that can't be made at that level of play.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
They just won with Tyler Styer....who is significantly better than Chris Robinson.--and Chris Robinson gets the spot.

If you feel that having been on a winning team is enough to ensure participation in the next Mosconi, then you would have picked Corey Deuel a year ago for the 2019 team. Despite being on the winning team in 2018, Corey didn't play well in singles, and it's in singles where you earn your salt as a Team USA member. In fact, Team USA's eight year losing streak was chiefly because of consistently poor results in singles.

Corey lost both his singles matches in 2018, 5-3 and 5-1, and, in view of that, his omission was hardly a surprise in 2019. At the 2019 Mosconi, Tyler was even less successful at singles, losing his two matches 5-1 and 5-1, so while Team USA won with Tyler in 2019, his omission is also no shocker.

... let's see if Chris can win two racks or more at singles this year to match or surpass Tyler's 2019 effort.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Double J & Joey Gray had extended training sessions with both Chris and Tyler the last few months.

I am sure their decision to pick Chris over Tyler was very attentive.

I think Jeremy will be a great captain for Team USA.

Attachments

• images (3).jpg
    images (3).jpg
    10 KB · Views: 329