the pool scene in the Covid world

robertod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious to hear how everyone is managing their pool game during this pandemic.

Are you going into pool halls, playing leagues?

Are you just playing on home tables by yourself or with close friends?

Are you and the people you are playing with wearing masks?

Are you just staying away because you take this covid to be a real danger?

Or are you totally not scared of getting it and playing as though their is nothing to really worry about?

Personally I have been asked to join two leagues and I said I would not be walking into a pool hall anytime soon. I have a table at home but find it hard to keep up my game as I know I won't be in any leagues, tournaments or cash games.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this crazy new world we find ourselves in.

Last edited:

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our location is south central Minnesota and we have traveling leagues to bars only,
the " pool halls " are about 80 to 90 miles away.

With bars really not counting on pool to be catered by the bar owner, usually players
have to instigate any type of tournament, everything has been quiet.

I have shot a good amount at home and am not taking chances with the covid situation
due to the respect of business with employees and grandchildren. We have a 3 year old
grandson who was born with some respiratory situations that was corrected when he was
born. However, he is a little more acceptable to viruses and it really does not matter what
I think about the covid virus, my wife and I can't take the risk of possibly giving him something
as that would be devastating to either one of us.

Hope all goes well and good luck in your leagues.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I have a table at home. Lately I have felt the itch to play out so tonite I decided to go see league night which was an APA double jeopardy session. I also wanted to play on a bar table to see how it felt after playing on big tables pretty exclusively recently. It was fun and I was in super stroke - for me anyway,

To make a long story short, it showed me I am not ready yet to join the leagues or go back for a long while. I wore a mask when walking around and followed the custom of not wearing one when I was playing at the table. I played alone and kept my distance and observed. League teams sat together unmasked. All the tables were used so the bulk of the league area was densely packed. Basically if you were not moving around like going to the bathroom or the bar you could be unmasked. I was uncomfortable. I can appreciate the need for the bar to open and respect people that want to do so. I am just not willing to expose myself or loved ones for a hobby. You all are free to make your own decisions. My gut tells me it is a bad idea for me. I think congregating outdoors even like Sturgis has less risk. Just my 2 cents...

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try to make newcomers feel welcome. If I see they can't hold a cue at all, I offer to play them a little "friendly" $5 game, plus time. You can't handicap the game with unknown skill levels. Race to 3. When I'm $20 up, we raise the bet to $20. With my safety play, they never get a shot. I know it's their first time playing, but everybody has to start gambling sometime. I started over 60 years ago. Oh, got to go. Mom's coming to check my room to see if I cleaned it.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i have a home table and so does a friend i play on both regularly

bars and some pool rooms around houston are opening up and im going

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In my case, the way I've managed my pool game during COVID has been by not hitting a single ball in 5 1/2 months. Yes, I miss it, but I'll wait until the pool halls of New York City are deemed safe. Those who have tables in their homes are the lucky ones these days.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've been playing straight pool alone on my home table and I've gone undefeated. It's funny how that game can be so addicting, always trying to beat your last high run.

Our local pool rooms and leagues are closed down again here due to the surge. Los Angeles, Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties have been hit hard and my area, San Luis Obispo County is getting worse. If they were open, I would not be interested in playing due to high caseloads in our area and an "at risk" wife. I'm afraid pool is dead for me until there is a vaccine.

Last edited:

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool halls are open where I live but you have to play with a mask. It doesn't bother me anymore.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I'm North of the border so our situation is a little different then what I believe some of the US find themselves in. However, even within my province the level of PPE protocols vary based on the "return to normal" phase the region finds itself in.

In my home town, limits for customers is still in place (~50 I think) and masks are mandatory when walking about the hall. While at the table you are not required to wear a mask.

I'm currently 60mins South of home doing a project, and here masks are a constant requirement while within indoor public places, period. ..so whether you are hitting a ball or walking about. I went to local hall the other night, and it was my first time playing with a mask. I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, (chin on cue kind of player), but honestly it didn't bother me enough to stop hitting balls by myself.

I intend on travelling about to the various halls in this area, and purposely playing those who I do not know. My version of a road trip if you will. With the mask mandates and extra care with personal hand sanitation, I don't feel I'm taking much of a risk. Lol... Hopefully that last bit doesn't end up on my grave stone.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I will play on a private table. No Pool Rooms.

Just curious to hear how everyone is managing their pool game during this pandemic.

Are you going into pool halls, playing leagues?

Are you just playing on home tables by yourself or with close friends?

Are you and the people you are playing with wearing masks?

Are you just staying away because you take this covid to be a real danger?

Or are you totally not scared of getting it and playing as though their is nothing to really worry about?

Personally I have been asked to join two leagues and I said I would not be walking into a pool hall anytime soon. I have a table at home but find it hard to keep up my game as I know I won't be in any leagues, tournaments or cash games.

Just wondering how everyone else feels about this crazy new world we find ourselves in.

Rogue8ball

Registered
Played a summer league, meet a friend for sets every Tuesday, otherwise shoot at home most of the time.

M.Kitzman

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At home only.

I won’t frequent a bar or pool hall. You aren’t exactly surrounded by those who do are the most responsible half of the population. More likely those who claim things are exaggerated or ‘we have to live’. They haven’t been all that diligent before they enter a pool hall.

Also, working in a lab, I find it ludicrous that anyone thinks they can take precautions playing at a table with other individuals. As soon as anyone even breathes, the table is contaminated. Playing solo ‘may’ be ok if one is diligent and away from other tables.

Some people can’t turn off the need for gratification. Consequences. I don’t want to be concerned every time in the next ten days I cough or get a bit sluggish...all because I had to play pool for 2 hours.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Home table only right now. Pool halls are open here, and some people have a mask on, but many do not.

The risk is not worth it to me. I feel lucky to have a job as it is now and can't miss a month of work to recover (if I recover), nor do I want to be the responsible person for anyone else getting COVID, or worse. I also don't want to gamble on any lingering respiratory damage since when I'm not working or playing pool, I'm out running or cycling.

I came really close to meeting someone to play - but at the end of the day I couldn't justify the potential consequences over a few racks of pool.

And lastly, it just doesn't feel like the responsible thing to do at the moment, my own personal thoughts and justifications notwithstanding. My state's rate of transmission is just under 1.0 now, and I should do what I can to drive that number as low as possible.

Last edited:

NE dubz

Registered
Unfortunately, after finally allowing certain pool rooms to finally open last week, MA took a step back yesterday and shut down all pool tables in the state... I’m fortunate enough to have a table at home, but this is devastating news for me...I couldn’t imagine owning a business and having to deal with it... I play in 3 leagues that share a lot of the same venues, most of which are Private Fraternal Organizations with a few dive bars sprinkled in and somewhere around half of our venues have had to close permanently due to the new regulations... the reality that league pool in the Boston area is unlikely to happen in 2020 starting to set in and it’s a mighty bleak reality...

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Southeast Pa., New Jersey, Delaware tri state area.
Rooms are open but I have not played in them.
I don't know where other players have been nor their Corona habits.
Couldn't tell you about the bars because I don't play in them.
Miss the poolroom sorely but I'm gonna wait until I feel more comfortable around people.
Have a 9 foot GCIII in the basement, Simonis of course, very tight pockets with
deep shelves. Perfect condition. My son I and play a few long sessions a week.
Lot's of one pocket.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The future of pool, which will always survive, is looking bleak.

This virus has ruined, literally destroyed, small business owners.

Pool room operators are a perfect example of entrepreneurship.

You cannot play pool on line, in the parking lot or anywhere else.

The pool hall is the only source unless you have a table at home.

The vast majority of pool players in the world do not, ergo, pool halls.

A great many small business operators are closing their doors permanently.

Pool is a cash business that requires patrons to actually be at the pool hall.

That hasn’t happened for several months already and the outlook is not good.

Until this virus is contained & a proven vaccine is available, the future is bleak.

There will be a lot fewer pool rooms in America post COVID-19 than before it.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been to the pool hall since I got my home table 3yrs ago. There's 4 rooms within 15mins driving. Mot sure how they stay in business.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
In our small town we shut down the BCA league when the bars were ordered to shut down.

When the bars re opened we started back up again. Played for about 5 or six weeks.

Covid has been creeping in recently however and we shut down the league again yesterday to be on the safe side.

If you run a league I believe you are legally vulnerable if a player gets sick and dies and you made the decision to play.

That's the world we live in today.

Stay safe everyone!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If you run a league I believe you are legally vulnerable if a player gets sick and dies and you made the decision to play.

ah... is it not the player's decision to play....?

Not intending to argue with you, just notion that one's personal accountability is how transferable to someone else with zero authority over them. I mean we're not talking about an employer forcing an employee into a unsafe situation under the consequence of losing their job.

I know leagues have started back up in my area. Masks mandatory at all times. That doesn't mean the players are forced to attend. In fact, the turn out as I understand it is quite minimal. I would say the majority of league members are in the higher risk categories.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Pool has been shutdown in NYC for over 5 months, no end in sight and no further guidance from NYC Mayor or Governor despite the state's fantastic job of flattening the curve. I know of at least one pool hall that closed their doors for good, and Tony Robles Pro/Am Predator tour announced they're closing up.

There is a petition on change.org. Over 1,600 signatures since Sunday. Hoping this will get the attention of the Governor, before more pool businesses shut their doors for good.
https://www.change.org/p/andrew-m-cuomo-allow-billiard-and-pool-halls-to-open

Last edited: