SBE Results

wagnew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopeful that all results and payouts will be posted soon.
Thank you.
Wayne Agnew

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still a little hazy on the actual winner. It lists the final 8 on the winners and one loss side...so does that mean the winners both played each other in a finals?
So Arenas and O Dominguezv both won the brackets...what was score result in the final?

Also the Tkatch girl seems to be improving in every tournament she plays. She took down Karen in the finals winners side. Pretty impressive. Still, did she win it all?

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Yes, winner of each final bracket plays each other. This year's pro event is Double Elimination until the Final 16, then proceeds as Single Elimination. Meaning final 8 on the winner side and final 8 on the 1 loss side.

QUOTE=Cardigan Kid;6368198]I'm still a little hazy on the actual winner. It lists the final 8 on the winners and one loss side...so does that mean the winners both played each other in a finals?
So Arenas and O Dominguezv both won the brackets...what was score result in the final?

Also the Tkatch girl seems to be improving in every tournament she plays. She took down Karen in the finals winners side. Pretty impressive. Still, did she win it all?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, winner of each final bracket plays each other. This year's pro event is Double Elimination until the Final 16, then proceeds as Single Elimination. Meaning final 8 on the winner side and final 8 on the 1 loss side.

QUOTE=Cardigan Kid;6368198]I'm still a little hazy on the actual winner. It lists the final 8 on the winners and one loss side...so does that mean the winners both played each other in a finals?

Also the Tkatch girl seems to be improving in every tournament she plays. She took down Karen in the finals winners side. Pretty impressive. Still, did she win it all?
[/QUOTE]

That's similar to what the US Open is going with under Matchroom?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So AzB's Tin Man was 2nd (to Pinegar) in the Pro-Am Barbox event?

Another strong showing!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the shout out AtLarge! It hurt me I couldn't play the main 10 ball event but schedules didn't permit. Maybe it worked out for the best!

Well, that was a fun tournament for me. I settled in pretty quickly and zoned out the entire tournament. I mean, I've felt that way before for a match or two, but rarely does it last from one day to the next. My second match was against Alan Rolon and I essentially played two perfect sets to win 6-3, 6-2. The last game he played safe and I had to shoot an extreme elevation masse shot to make contact. I remember thinking "The way things are going I'll probably make this ball". Sure enough the sucker went right in.

I played nearly as well through the entire tournament. I missed a couple of balls, and I remember hooking myself once, but I definitely did everything I know how to do. I think that's what was really cool. I never really felt pressure or nerves. I could sense pressure all around me, and feel the gravity of the situation as the scores grew close, but it was like I was safe in my bubble in the eye of the storm. I felt as calm as if I was walking down the sidewalk. And meanwhile my game that I've practiced so hard was there for me, everything was working, and I was just focused on hitting each shot the way I would on my home table.

Well, it worked, I kept going and made it through some tough matches. I came a hair short losing 6-5, 6-5 in the finals. Tough sets, Jon plays very well. His safeties were much more difficult to escape than my earlier opponents and he was breaking the balls extremely well making 2-3 each time and sticking the rock. But it was a ton of fun and it was so rewarding to experience the zone for that long and see all of my hard work come together.

Now I need to find another event! Matchroom US Open filled up, so I'm looking at 1) Turning Stone in August, and 2) Pat Fleming's International Open in October. But I can't wait that long. I am pretty busy this month, but maybe I can find something in May or June.

Meanwhile I want to shout out to Chris Robinson, he had a really impressive tournament. I'm going off of a blurry memory but I believe he beat Thorsten Hohmann and a few other very good players on his way to making the final 16. It was a pretty bad break that as soon as the event switched to single elimination he played James Aranas, the only 800+ Fargorate player in the field and eventual winner. Even still, he nearly got the job done losing 13-11. He's playing very well with a lot of confidence. May be a titch too soon, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the discussion for Mosconi Cups in the future based on talent, poise, and, before long, results.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the shout out AtLarge! It hurt me I couldn't play the main 10 ball event but schedules didn't permit. Maybe it worked out for the best!

Well, that was a fun tournament for me. ...

Thanks for your description. Congratulations, and good luck wherever you play next!

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now I need to find another event! Matchroom US Open filled up, so I'm looking at 1) Turning Stone in August, and 2) Pat Fleming's International Open in October. But I can't wait that long. I am pretty busy this month, but maybe I can find something in May or June.

Great shooting and if you play Turning Stone I will be sure to introduce myself. My wife and I are heading up in August to play some golf and watch some pool. I love that venue.
Sorry I didn't get the chance to say hi at the SBE.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WTG Tin Man.

Do you spend a lot of time on the barbox?

Did James Aranas play on the pro-am barbox? Read he did, but didn't see his name on the final 16. Maybe he got knocked out early?

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bar box

WTG Tin Man.

Do you spend a lot of time on the barbox?

Did James Aranas play on the pro-am barbox? Read he did, but didn't see his name on the final 16. Maybe he got knocked out early?

James didn't play the pro-am. There were a number of players that signed up and couldn't play because they were still in the pro 10 ball. Unlike Derby where they schedule new matches around those remaining in other events, timing doesn't allow that when they need to finish a 32 man tournament in one day. So the rule is that if you have matches in both tournaments you have to pick one to play and one to forfeit. For this reason most people sign up for both, but then bow out if they are still in the main event. This happened to Aranas, Robinson, Klatt, and Sossei. Meanwhile Pinegar was on the waiting list and got in due to these absences.

As for me, unfortunately the answer is yes. I live in Minnesota and every tournament within driving distance is on the 7'. I appreciate them having tournaments at all, occasional in Fargo, some in Beloit, and a very, very few locally. I play those because I don't get enough opportunity as it is.

Far and away my favorite is 9' pool. I grew up on a 9' and have one in my basement.
I love it so much I'm willing to fly and be dead money to international champs as opposed to playing more local handicapped pool.

On the bar table I'd probably say 8 ball is my better game. It fits my strengths and style. Bar table 9 ball is probably my worst game, but over the years I've closed the gap and do ok with it. When I hit my gear I can play it pretty competitively like I did this weekend. Let's just say I have a big range.

I like tough 9's that minimize the role of the break and occasional rolls during the early moving game. Running out is what determines winning and losing first and foremost. On the bar table there is so much variance and so many fluky things happen, it's like playing a super short stacked poker tournament versus playing 100 big blind deep cash games. But if you want to be a good player you have to develop all of your skills and compete on whatever turf you're playing on, so I try to do my best and enjoy the times I'm on the good end of the rolls!

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tin man, too bad you're not north east. There's tons of predator tourneys and the like

What shaft do you use? Prefer carbon fiber?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Well, that was a fun tournament for me. I settled in pretty quickly and zoned out the entire tournament. I mean, I've felt that way before for a match or two, but rarely does it last from one day to the next. My second match was against Alan Rolon and I essentially played two perfect sets to win 6-3, 6-2. The last game he played safe and I had to shoot an extreme elevation masse shot to make contact. I remember thinking "The way things are going I'll probably make this ball". Sure enough the sucker went right in.

I played nearly as well through the entire tournament. I missed a couple of balls, and I remember hooking myself once, but I definitely did everything I know how to do. I think that's what was really cool. I never really felt pressure or nerves. I could sense pressure all around me, and feel the gravity of the situation as the scores grew close, but it was like I was safe in my bubble in the eye of the storm. I felt as calm as if I was walking down the sidewalk. And meanwhile my game that I've practiced so hard was there for me, everything was working, and I was just focused on hitting each shot the way I would on my home table.

Well, it worked, I kept going and made it through some tough matches. I came a hair short losing 6-5, 6-5 in the finals. Tough sets, Jon plays very well. His safeties were much more difficult to escape than my earlier opponents and he was breaking the balls extremely well making 2-3 each time and sticking the rock. But it was a ton of fun and it was so rewarding to experience the zone for that long and see all of my hard work come together.

Meanwhile I want to shout out to Chris Robinson, he had a really impressive tournament. I'm going off of a blurry memory but I believe he beat Thorsten Hohmann and a few other very good players on his way to making the final 16. It was a pretty bad break that as soon as the event switched to single elimination he played James Aranas, the only 800+ Fargorate player in the field and eventual winner. Even still, he nearly got the job done losing 13-11. He's playing very well with a lot of confidence. May be a titch too soon, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the discussion for Mosconi Cups in the future based on talent, poise, and, before long, results.

Pretty sure there are four qualifiers (at Griff's poolroom) for the U.S. Open during the days immediately prior to the main event. Each one is awarding four spots (16 total) into the Open. You might want to give that a try.

Wondering what the payouts were for the Pro event at the SBE?