Predator shaft advice

cgyacht

Registered
Hello All,

I am a beginner player of only a few months. I went from a No name Walmart cue to a McDermott G436 with G-core shaft. Huge difference in pocketed balls, consistency and control..

A few weeks later tried a 314-3 predator shaft and really was astounded. So I bought an Icon3-5 with a 314-3 shaft. Again a marked difference in pocketed balls, speed control and cue ball control (Still not good but that is me and not the equipment) Only had it about 2 weeks so far but love it.

With that being said and being a beginner pool player, will I see a big difference going to a REVO from the 314-3, as I did with going from GCore to 314-3,or should I wait until I learn the game better?

Interested in your opinions. Thanks.

Cheers,

Charles

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a lot of opinions on this subject, here's mine.

Cues have minor performance differences between them and very major feel differences. Your muscles and brain calibrate to the cue you use. That's important to me. Deflection is likely to be the biggest performance difference. I would prefer to calibrate to less deflection than more. Low deflection isn't no deflection. You still have to compensate for it, but low deflection requires a smaller range of compensation and that suits me.

I like CF shafts (like the Revo) for two main reasons: durability and consistency. I like that it will never warp and will be way more resistant to dings/dents/scratches. To me wood is variable. No two shafts are cut from the same place, with the same grain, with the same density, with the same moisture history, etc. So if I calibrate myself to one shaft, I'm not guaranteed a second shaft will ever feel and play the same. So that affects how I view the experience of replacing a broken shaft, using a back-up shaft while tip work is done, etc. I do appreciate the advancements in wood shaft technology, e.g. splicing, how significantly that improves consistency. But with carbon fiber shaft manufacturing, I have a significantly higher confidence that one shaft will play identical to another.

cgyacht

Registered

Cues have minor performance differences between them and very major feel differences. Your muscles and brain calibrate to the cue you use. That's important to me. Deflection is likely to be the biggest performance difference. I would prefer to calibrate to less deflection than more. Low deflection isn't no deflection. You still have to compensate for it, but low deflection requires a smaller range of compensation and that suits me.

I like CF shafts (like the Revo) for two main reasons: durability and consistency. I like that it will never warp and will be way more resistant to dings/dents/scratches. To me wood is variable. No two shafts are cut from the same place, with the same grain, with the same density, with the same moisture history, etc. So if I calibrate myself to one shaft, I'm not guaranteed a second shaft will ever feel and play the same. So that affects how I view the experience of replacing a broken shaft, using a back-up shaft while tip work is done, etc. I do appreciate the advancements in wood shaft technology, e.g. splicing, how significantly that improves consistency. But with carbon fiber shaft manufacturing, I have a significantly higher confidence that one shaft will play identical to another.

Thanks Matt, A lot of good info there. I think I will try and find someone that I could maybe try out the REVO like I did with the 314-3 and see if I like the feel of it. I just do not know if I will be able to tell the difference due to my skill level. I did with the others so we will see. And then more money out of the pocket HAHA.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Charles

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mean, if you're just starting out it's not gonna hurt, but my advice would be to pick one and stick with it at least for a while. I'm surprised you had a remarkable difference pocketing balls and controlling the cue ball with the predator as opposed to the mcdermott. They are both good products and have similar defection properties, and for someone who just started playing and doesn't have a wide frame of reference for aiming, I don't see why you would play significantly better with one or the other, unless you just really responded to the feel of the predator and maybe were attributing more to that than you know. It's also possible, as you're just beginning, that you will be making strides in improvement every time you play and maybe the simple fact that you played with the predator after the mcdermott made you think the cue played better when in reality it was just you improving. Either way, if you have the money to shell out I don't see why you shouldn't try a bunch of different cues, but I think you'll find that at your level it won't make a huge difference and you'll just end up getting used to whichever cue you choose. And while I understand the urge to have the latest and greatest equipment, it's rarely the catalyst in someone's game jumping up a level IMO.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello All,

I am a beginner player of only a few months. I went from a No name Walmart cue to a McDermott G436 with G-core shaft. Huge difference in pocketed balls, consistency and control..

A few weeks later tried a 314-3 predator shaft and really was astounded. So I bought an Icon3-5 with a 314-3 shaft. Again a marked difference in pocketed balls, speed control and cue ball control (Still not good but that is me and not the equipment) Only had it about 2 weeks so far but love it.

With that being said and being a beginner pool player, will I see a big difference going to a REVO from the 314-3, as I did with going from GCore to 314-3,or should I wait until I learn the game better?

Cheers,

Charles

YES you need a REVO, and an IKON 3-1, which I happen to be selling if you are interested. Issue is the 3-5 is too fancy and you will be attacked by thieves. Just my opinion though....

It's pretty good that you can already tell the difference in the shafts after only playing for a few months and can describe the differences.

cgyacht

Registered
I mean, if you're just starting out it's not gonna hurt, but my advice would be to pick one and stick with it at least for a while. I'm surprised you had a remarkable difference pocketing balls and controlling the cue ball with the predator as opposed to the mcdermott. They are both good products and have similar defection properties, and for someone who just started playing and doesn't have a wide frame of reference for aiming, I don't see why you would play significantly better with one or the other, unless you just really responded to the feel of the predator and maybe were attributing more to that than you know. It's also possible, as you're just beginning, that you will be making strides in improvement every time you play and maybe the simple fact that you played with the predator after the mcdermott made you think the cue played better when in reality it was just you improving. Either way, if you have the money to shell out I don't see why you shouldn't try a bunch of different cues, but I think you'll find that at your level it won't make a huge difference and you'll just end up getting used to whichever cue you choose. And while I understand the urge to have the latest and greatest equipment, it's rarely the catalyst in someone's game jumping up a level IMO.

Thanks HighKarate,

I was wondering the same myself as I know in the beginning adventures of most anything improvements come quickly and more noticeably until you hit that plateau.
Also you are correct in maybe the Predator suits me better or maybe it is just psychological HAHA. I am very happy with the Predator and the 314-3 shaft. So I think I may stay with that for a while. the other theory is the McDermott was a linen wrap and the IKON 3-5 is wrapless and I definitely like the feel of that much more than the linen. Not as slippery in my hand and less fidgeting. Maybe that makes a difference in how I stroke the cue and see improvement over the other.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Charles

cgyacht

Registered
YES you need a REVO, and an IKON 3-1, which I happen to be selling if you are interested. Issue is the 3-5 is too fancy and you will be attacked by thieves. Just my opinion though....

It's pretty good that you can already tell the difference in the shafts after only playing for a few months and can describe the differences.

HAHA Han-the-9,

I appreciate the offer and kind words but I think I will stay with my 3-5 for now. It is pretty!

And like High Karate said maybe it is just that the set up of the IKON 3-5 and 314-3 and also maybe going from linen wrap to wrapless makes world of difference in how comfortable I feel with the butt of the cue.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Charles

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
Hello All,

Cheers,

Charles

if you have just been playing a couple months I'd say you have to work on your fundamentals first and to that end I want you to do one thing... pick a shaft any shaft and then stop worrying about it familiarity is far more important than defection besides squirt is useful:thumbup:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you have just been playing a couple months I'd say you have to work on your fundamentals first and to that end I want you to do one thing... pick a shaft any shaft and then stop worrying about it familiarity is far more important than defection besides squirt is useful:thumbup:

This and I would add whenever getting a new piece of
equiptment the first week or two there is a honeymoon
period where everything is great and they all seem to go in.
The sooner you get a set-up you enjoy the better.
Then, just like a good marriage you and that cue stay together through thick and thin.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
If you want the Revo, think now would be the time as you are learning. That way you don't learn with one shaft then have to relearn a new shaft.

cgyacht

Registered

Good advise. Thanks.
I will most likely stay with what I have now as I love how it feels and start to put in the reps.

Which be easier once I get a table in the house!!

Cheers,

Charles

cgyacht

Registered
This and I would add whenever getting a new piece of
equiptment the first week or two there is a honeymoon
period where everything is great and they all seem to go in.
The sooner you get a set-up you enjoy the better.
Then, just like a good marriage you and that cue stay together through thick and thin.

Thanks for the solid advise.

Cheers,

Charles

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Hello All,

A few weeks later tried a 314-3 predator shaft and really was astounded. So I bought an Icon3-5 with a 314-3 shaft.

Charles

My opinion is that you have all the cue you will ever need to shoot high-level pool with now (providing you put in the work). You have purchased a fine piece of pool equipment. It's important that you take good care of it and it should last you for years. Don't keep it exposed to harsh weather conditions, store it in a nice case (preferably one with a JB interior), and by all means do not use that 314-3 for hard breaking...get a break cue.

Just my $0.02.

Maniac

cgyacht

Registered
My opinion is that you have all the cue you will ever need to shoot high-level pool with now (providing you put in the work). You have purchased a fine piece of pool equipment. It's important that you take good care of it and it should last you for years. Don't keep it exposed to harsh weather conditions, store it in a nice case (preferably one with a JB interior), and by all means do not use that 314-3 for hard breaking...get a break cue.

Just my $0.02.

Maniac

Hi Maniac,

Thanks for the advise! I will definitely stay with this set up for now and put in the reps. Saving the money from the REVO and put that towards getting the table at home for practicing.

I have a break/jump cue which is a McDermott NG01W with Stinger shaft and that is what I have been using so far. Need to do a lot of break practice as well.

Cheers,

Charles

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is excellent advice. Listen to this guy.

I played with a 314-2 since they came out...at least 12 years or more. I went to the 314-3 and came to like that. My 314-3 I took down a bit so the deflection was VERY low. I have just recently switched to the Revo. It actually has MORE deflection than my 314-3. Now by this point, I'd be considered an "advanced" player. I'm an "A" player in the RI area. For me, adjusting to a different amount of deflection isn't hard to do, but it does require a conscious effort to bring my aim out of the unconscious realm and into the conscious realm. Occasionally I revert to my intuitive feel of how I used to aim. This is a bit of a big deal for someone who plays at a level far past beginner. I go into a set thinking "I can probably get away with missing 1 ball, but I damn sure better not miss two balls this set"...Point is, the standard I've set for myself is to never miss any open easy or medium difficulty shots. So sometimes the transition shows up there. However, overall my position play is as good as ever, my speed control is better than ever, and as Matt said, I feel extremely great about the consistency and cleanliness of the shaft.

So I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to make a transition to a Revo, I'd do it before you get too far into the shaft you're playing with. You won't notice the differences in deflection too much, but you may notice the difference in energy transfer Best thing to do is try someone's. Ideally, try it for a while. I let my friend use my Revo on her cue for a few hours. Overall, she liked the *power* of the shaft the most, and is now considering getting one. She plays with a Z3. I was using her shaft, and I found that I needed to adjust very little on aim.

Anyway, you're going to be fine for many years regardless if you stick with your 314-3 or go to the Revo.

Good luck and best wishes,

KMRUNOUT

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I have played with every generation of Predator shaft including the Revo, they're all
good shafts and they are kind of like selecting a chalk - it comes down to a personal preference.
I do tend to like the Z series as they are a thinner shaft and if you get it from Seyberts
and you have it 'S' Tuned I think the adjustment period isn't quite as long. But if I may,
I do like the Predator shafts and depending on who you ask the reputation is good or bad,
but if I might give you some real advice after having tried the many Predator Shafts I
have tried I can sum up good advice in about three words - Jacoby Hybrid Edge.
But that's just me. They each have good and bad. Opinions vary

dimeshooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 2 cents

I have been playing with Predator shafts for probably 10 years now. I have played with the 314-3 for the last couple of years. I switched to the Revo about 6 months ago, but I don't fee it has made me any better. I really like the solid hit with the Revo, but switching from a low deflection to a near zero deflection shaft is an adjustment.

My advice is to buy the Revo now if you have the money. You are already adjusting to a new shaft, so why go through that process twice. However, I WOULD NOT anticipate a huge jump in your game.

I hope that helps,

Mike

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just play with what you have.

500 for a revo won't do anything for you.

There's one that will up your game and its free. (w/home table)

It's called a lot of practice.

Go watch the video of DD beating the 12b ghost.
He quit using a revo and went back to a maple shaft.

It's the Indian and not the arrow.

cgyacht

Registered
This is excellent advice. Listen to this guy.

I played with a 314-2 since they came out...at least 12 years or more. I went to the 314-3 and came to like that. My 314-3 I took down a bit so the deflection was VERY low. I have just recently switched to the Revo. It actually has MORE deflection than my 314-3. Now by this point, I'd be considered an "advanced" player. I'm an "A" player in the RI area. For me, adjusting to a different amount of deflection isn't hard to do, but it does require a conscious effort to bring my aim out of the unconscious realm and into the conscious realm. Occasionally I revert to my intuitive feel of how I used to aim. This is a bit of a big deal for someone who plays at a level far past beginner. I go into a set thinking "I can probably get away with missing 1 ball, but I damn sure better not miss two balls this set"...Point is, the standard I've set for myself is to never miss any open easy or medium difficulty shots. So sometimes the transition shows up there. However, overall my position play is as good as ever, my speed control is better than ever, and as Matt said, I feel extremely great about the consistency and cleanliness of the shaft.

So I guess what I'm saying is if you're going to make a transition to a Revo, I'd do it before you get too far into the shaft you're playing with. You won't notice the differences in deflection too much, but you may notice the difference in energy transfer Best thing to do is try someone's. Ideally, try it for a while. I let my friend use my Revo on her cue for a few hours. Overall, she liked the *power* of the shaft the most, and is now considering getting one. She plays with a Z3. I was using her shaft, and I found that I needed to adjust very little on aim.

Anyway, you're going to be fine for many years regardless if you stick with your 314-3 or go to the Revo.

Good luck and best wishes,

KMRUNOUT

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the advise. It really is a hard choice to make: :smile::smile:
I am just wanting to make sure I start in the right place with the right gear and then let the practice commence. I will try to find someone who will let me try the REVO. I am really curious to see how it feels.

Cheers,

Charles