Best cure light for Solarez?

67fastback

Registered
Ok, I have decided to try Solarez. Was wondering what you builders that are using Solarez are using for cure lights. Found several flash light style lights, but was looking for 4ft T8 or T12 style lights. What works the best & fastest?

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
I went to lowes.......... bought a $10 shop light fixture and 2 black light bulbs...... $15 each.................... total $40......... cures solarez in 6 to 8 minutes.............. I have been using it for a couple years on about 60 cues.................

Kim

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I am looking into the UV finish for the shafts I make.
I wonder how important it is to match the wavelength of the lamp to the wavelength of the finish.
There is a 60W lamp on Amazon for around $35 but its wavelength is 405nm.
I think Solarez is to thick to spray on.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I am looking into the UV finish for the shafts I make.
I wonder how important it is to match the wavelength of the lamp to the wavelength of the finish.
There is a 60W lamp on Amazon for around $35 but its wavelength is 405nm.
I think Solarez is to thick to spray on.

Yes, it's too thick.
And it stinks to high heavens.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Yes, it's too thick.
And it stinks to high heavens.

You are correct about being too thick to spray, but incorrect about the smell. The updated formula is significantly less smelly, to me it smells less than some of the off the shelf finishes I've tried.The new formula has better adhesion properties than the old one also.
Dave

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
You are correct about being too thick to spray, but incorrect about the smell. The updated formula is significantly less smelly, to me it smells less than some of the off the shelf finishes I've tried.The new formula has better adhesion properties than the old one also.
Dave

Dave ... About how long do you use your cure light?
Can you "over-cure" by leaving the UV light on it to long?

I am using the UV lamp from Amazon ... the 60W model that sells for around $32.
Just using it for shaft finishing on the joint end.
Cutting the joint about 5 thousands undersized then coating it with the UV cure and sanding it down to correct diameter.
Did one shaft already and left the lamp on fit or 2 minutes and it set up very well.

Attachments

• UV1.jpg
    UV1.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 214

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
The finish will not 'over-cure', but it does heat up while curing so if like in my enclosed setup, the lights also create heat, you can have a heat buildup that can cause the finish to lift as it cools down afterwards. To avoid this happening, I cure for a minute, then pull it out for 2 minutes then put in for another minute, etc for a total of 3 minutes of cure time. I need to cut vents in the tunnel for heat release. When doing a full cue, like a wrapless, you should use 4ft lamps to ensure a full cure for the whole length.
Dave

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
Dave

I tried the new formula... hated it..... went back to the original

Kim

whammo57

Kim Walker
Silver Member
The finish will not 'over-cure', but it does heat up while curing so if like in my enclosed setup, the lights also create heat, you can have a heat buildup that can cause the finish to lift as it cools down afterwards. To avoid this happening, I cure for a minute, then pull it out for 2 minutes then put in for another minute, etc for a total of 3 minutes of cure time. I need to cut vents in the tunnel for heat release. When doing a full cue, like a wrapless, you should use 4ft lamps to ensure a full cure for the whole length.
Dave

I don't know what bulbs you are using that give off that much heat......... I use black light bulbs...... they barely get warm

Kim

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
I don't know what bulbs you are using that give off that much heat......... I use black light bulbs...... they barely get warm

Kim

I use the light bulbs that are recommended for solarez, if you look at the links I posted above, it shows the bulbs and the setup.
Dave