Layered Tip life

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't change tips very often. Once i put on a tip and it stops mushrooming i leave it alone. A tip tap once in a while is it. I have one cue that has an original moori medium on it. It still plays fine. I dont mind hard tips and so as long as they do not delaminate and play good they stay on. The original moori is probably close to 20 years old.
So my question for the players who change regularly, what makes you want to change a tip?
The layered tips like kamui are quite tall. I have them cut down about a third but they never wear down near to the ferrule for me.
I think i will get that moori replaced anyway.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
People who spend time sanding or working over tip with abrasives replace tip often, bet the in you can do to a tip is use good quality chalk, it is a good roughter upper.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like a tall tip on my cue, don't like playing with tips close to the ferrule, especially my ivory ferrules, which are many of my cues.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't change tips very often. Once i put on a tip and it stops mushrooming i leave it alone. A tip tap once in a while is it. I have one cue that has an original moori medium on it. It still plays fine. I dont mind hard tips and so as long as they do not delaminate and play good they stay on. The original moori is probably close to 20 years old.
So my question for the players who change regularly, what makes you want to change a tip?
The layered tips like kamui are quite tall. I have them cut down about a third but they never wear down near to the ferrule for me.

when the tip is close to the fiber pad i change it

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sad fact is that harder tips simply last longer--because they mushroom less, and thereby need less maintenance--so you are not grinding off the leather of the tip as often.

I get about 2,000 practice+play hours on a single hard laminated play tip.

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
laminated tips are garbage in general. I never miscued until I used a laminated tip. ill take a little mushrooming and master chalk over magical tips with magical chalks. and my favorite part is when the center top comes off. that a fun time.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How long a tip lasts is hard to answer, as that depends on the user, but if your a regular player I would say that 2, 3 tip changes each year seems to be average.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morri hard will last me over two years. But I dont have any problems with mushrooming or glazing, so little maintenance. Just burnish the side now and then. I play and or practice 3 days a week on average.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
i changed tip one time last yr, after it got worn down close to the ferrule and i was miscuing like never before

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
i changed tip one time last yr, after it got worn down close to the ferrule and i was miscuing like never before

Man...my tip was down to almost nothing and I kept using it until I could finally get it replaced. The last two months or so of playing I miscued probably 5 times as often as normal, maybe more. I was starting to get gun shy on a lot of shots and it actually changed the way I played lol.

I love the water buffalo tip I use but it seems to get worn down pretty quickly. I got a new one put on about Valentine’s Day so I will track it this time. I play every day for at least an hour, usually 2+ on week nights and weekends I get good time in.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy yourself kAMUI gRIP- OR COMPARABLE.....
tHEY WORK GREAT TO LIGHTLY ROUGHEN THE TIP,
without removing any leather!!