Some recent Rubino cues, scalloped lizard wrap

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
classiccues said:
work I think its only fair to put you in the same situation. Now maybe your painting is your fantasy of Bozo the clown in a bath towel, but I don't care.

So you still think you haven't said anything about his design.. "per se"..

JV

i've had people whom i respect give critique to my art. that is part of the biz that i understand. YOU,,,who am i to argue with you. i bow to your intimate expertise of clown paintings.

what is ridiculous is you and vic JUST DON'T SEEM TO GET IT! both of you are p!ssed at my criticisms. well,,,to make this perfectly clear from the get-go, i'm fine with any criticism leveled at me. i understand the nature of the biz. you two don't,,,,,,, and whine and cry.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
SEVEN years ago...

Paul started doing "Crown" style ringwork, not only for the butt plate but for all rings!!! Seven years ago.. and he has no design abilities.. he also has NO CNC and developed his crown tooling for manual machinery..

7_years_ago.jpg

Guys do it today.. they are trend setter's.. back of the line fellas.. :D

JV

classiccues

Silver Member
bruin70 said:
well,,,,i said "i think" ie it is my opinion that,,,,,
i know full well that cue hit is a subjective thing.

but if you want me to back up my statement about paul's design i will.

so rather than you trying to redirect the issue to whether i said or didn't say something, we can both stay on the point about paul's cues or leave it. up to you.

Sure.. but know if there is any more BS discussion is over... your redirection, is my direct implication of non-credibility...

JV

classiccues

Silver Member
bruin70 said:
i've had people whom i respect give critique to my art. that is part of the biz that i understand. YOU,,,who am i to argue with you. i bow to your intimate expertise of clown paintings.

what is ridiculous is you and vic JUST DON'T SEEM TO GET IT! both of you are p!ssed at my criticisms. well,,,to make this perfectly clear from the get-go, i'm fine with any criticism leveled at me. i understand the nature of the biz. you two don't,,,,,,, and whine and cry.

BOW then.. I can only interpret the art thats in front of me and correlate it with what I know of the artist.

We aren't pissed at your criticism.. but YOUR continuing to whine and cry about it. Get over it.. or tell them that YOU had an order with Paul and due to Pauls workload on the books he couldn't complete your order and 11 months went by and you got your deposit back. But you need to GET OVER IT.

JV

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
classiccues said:
Get over it.. or tell them that YOU had an order with Paul and due to Pauls workload on the books he couldn't complete your order and 11 months went by and you got your deposit back. But you need to GET OVER IT.

JV

HOLY SH!T, JOE!!!!!!

are you THAT much of an idiot. I would NEVER,,,,EVER order a cue from rubino! this is truely unbelievable! i own or have owned petersons, tads, jw's, kershenbrocks, blacks. why in god's name would i EVER want a rubino! let's cut short THAT fantasy rumor right now.

let me guess,,,,,I'LL BET VIC TOLD YOU THIS!! :D:D:D:D omg! how dumb are you????? the mere fact that you would even believe ole vic, knowing full well the kind of cues i like, clearly discredits anything you would say that resembles coherent thought. i think you'd better go back to ole vic and ask him "are you leveling with me because i'm about have my foot placed firmly in mouth for defending you"

and about paul's "workload". paul was notorious for disappearing without contact, and if there was any WORKLOAD it was the two or three cues per year he would tarry on. his fault! during that period that i knew both of them they were working feversihly on the book. so in between paul's total lack of commitment to building cues and vic's excuse that they were researching the book, rubino was maybe the most inert cuebuilder around.

addendum: here's a little anecdote about your unctuous buddy, victor. years ago, early 90's when i knew him quite well, he tried to sell me a schuler with maple widows in rosewood. THE WINDOWS WERE CROOKED with glue visibly filling the 1/64" spaces, and glue filling the tips of the pantographed points. now,,,if anybody here knows anything about schuler they'd know he was fully capable of such horrendous workmanship on such a simple task. i pointed out the lack of craftsmanship( so okay, in that blunt way i have) and ole vic never spoke to me again. and laugh of all laughs, victor had put in an order with schuler for a 3k or 5k cue!! now i don't know if victor ever followed through on his prder, but how dumb can one be to order a high end cue from a builder who was only capable of executing plain jane cues. THAT'S the mindset of your friend.

Last edited:

bruin70

don't wannabe M0DERATOR
Silver Member
ok, joe.

i'm gonna have to force myself to leave this conversation for at least the next 3 weeks because i have three shows upcoming by december and a vacation to enjoy.

but i'll be back...i just don't want you or anyone to think i'm folding my tent and stealing away in the night. i have some expensive "clown paintings" to create.

Last edited:

classiccues

Silver Member
bruin70 said:
HOLY SH!T, JOE!!!!!!

are you THAT much of an idiot. I would NEVER,,,,EVER order a cue from rubino! this is truely unbelievable! i own or have owned petersons, tads, jw's, kershenbrocks, blacks. why in god's name would i EVER want a rubino! let's cut short THAT fantasy rumor right now.

let me guess,,,,,I'LL BET VIC TOLD YOU THIS!! :D:D:D:D omg! how dumb are you????? the mere fact that you would even believe ole vic, knowing full well the kind of cues i like, clearly discredits anything you would say that resembles coherent thought. i think you'd better go back to ole vic and ask him "are you leveling with me because i'm about have my foot placed firmly in mouth for defending you"

and about paul's "workload". paul was notorious for disappearing without contact, and if there was any WORKLOAD it was the two or three cues per year he would tarry on. his fault! during that period that i knew both of them they were working feversihly on the book. so in between paul's total lack of commitment to building cues and vic's excuse that they were researching the book, rubino was maybe the most inert cuebuilder around.

addendum: here's a little anecdote about your unctuous buddy, victor. years ago, early 90's when i knew him quite well, he tried to sell me a schuler with maple widows in rosewood. THE WINDOWS WERE CROOKED with glue visibly filling the 1/64" spaces, and glue filling the tips of the pantographed points. now,,,if anybody here knows anything about schuler they'd know he was fully capable of such horrendous workmanship on such a simple task. i pointed out the lack of craftsmanship( so okay, in that blunt way i have) and ole vic never spoke to me again. and laugh of all laughs, victor had put in an order with schuler for a 3k or 5k cue!! now i don't know if victor ever followed through on his prder, but how dumb can one be to order a high end cue from a builder who was only capable of executing plain jane cues. THAT'S the mindset of your friend.

Here is a photo of your order..
milt_order.jpg

Directly from Pauls book. I guess this will be one of my last posts on the matter because I told you about the lying crap.

SO much for staying on topic.... How Victor spends his money has NO BEARING on Paul and the current discussion. You my friend are taking a shot at Victor when he is not even part of the discussion. You're a classless nit and a bad liar to boot. I have only met Victor twice and he probably wouldn't know me if he fell over me.

Your now trying to get at Victor through me and I don't know why. Just showing that you're not the brightest bulb in the factory again. Again. Maybe that is your real beef with Paul, you cannot get to Victor, so you need to jerk Paul around to feel like you are getting at Victor. Pretty crappy way to live if you ask me. It really seems that way.

JV (---still wondering how Victor got into the discussion

Last edited:

classiccues

Silver Member
bruin70 said:
ok, joe.

i'm gonna have to force myself to leave this conversation for at least the next 3 weeks because i have three shows upcoming by december and a vacation to enjoy.

but i'll be back...i just don't want you or anyone to think i'm folding my tent and stealing away in the night. i have some expensive "clown paintings" to create.

Ok I'll be here.. just make sure you remember that number 1 is blue, number 2 is green, 3 is yellow and so forth... stay in the lines and you'll be fine.

16082.jpg

JV

Cuaba

Livin Large
Silver Member
I have a Rubino, and I ordered one for a friend in Denmark, which I delivered to him. Both cues play great.

Paul is one of the nicest guys on the planet, let alone the billiard industry.

And Victor is a first class guy as well.

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Sweet cues. I'm starting to like butterflies, I think I'm getting butterflies thinking about those cues.LOL.poolrod.

Charlie Edwards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've dealt with Paul Rubino one time. It was the most POSITIVE experience I've ever had dealing with cuemakers. First off, his workmanship was superb. And secondly he went way beyond that. As far as I'm concerned you won't find ANYONE with more honesty and integrity than Paul Rubino... PERIOD.

Cuemaster98

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's an interesting painting of the lady! Who painted it? The painting strokes are pretty good.

I recently had and sold a P.R. Titlist conversion and it very well executed and play great with the old growth shaft. Actually it's the cue that my son is holding in my avatar. Paul does some really good work but unfortunately he mostly booked up...wanted him to do some more conversion with my full blanks but he's tied up. I've actually had a chance to play with the butterfly conversion and it's one heck of a cue.

Regards,
Duc.

Last edited:

FAST_N_LOOSE

<--THE AMAZING JESSE JANE
Silver Member
classiccues said:
Paul started doing "Crown" style ringwork, not only for the butt plate but for all rings!!! Seven years ago.. and he has no design abilities.. he also has NO CNC and developed his crown tooling for manual machinery..

7_years_ago.jpg

Guys do it today.. they are trend setter's.. back of the line fellas.. :D

JV

AWESOME, ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. I WOULDN'T MIND GETTING MY HANDS ON ONE OF THESE.

JOE, SEE IF HE'LL MAKE ME A 25 OUNCE BREAK JUMP WITH THE SCALLOPED BUTT CAP?

greeneyes_ocean

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just wanted to add my 2 cents about Paul Robino.
As a person to deal with I can say only good things.
He is a very easy going man and has done many repair work in the past and I was always satisfied even though people know me I'm a little on the picky side :)
Thank you Paul :)
rub_bfly_2.jpg

rub_bfly_1.jpg
As cue maker:
I still regret I missed on that older double butterfly conversion. I played with the cue for an hour and didn't realize what I had. Some of the butterflies were missing pieces and Paul restored the cue in excellent way.
As a matter of fact I'm desperately trying to get the cue going to offer the current owner my pre-date SW with 3 shafts that was made when DPK was working with Jerry.
The above butterfly cue is in my top 3 playing cue I have ever played with.

Paul, please keep up the good work and try to get me that cue :)

Vass

Last edited:

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Just thought I would add a couple of old pictures of a Rubino I recently came back across. Amazing sometimes what you will find after several years.

This was a jump break that Paul made, and if I'm not mistaken Ginky had it for a while. It hit like a monster. This cue also had a separate butt extension made for playing on super big tables.

Oh, yes....and this cue certainly earned the award for the most damn bird's eyes that many of us will ever seen. I still have yet to see it's equal close to ten years later. Enjoy.

Picture4%20042.jpg

Picture4%20040.jpg

Picture4%20041.jpg

Last edited: