Huebler weight bolt?

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LynnsButt.jpgAnyone seen something like this in and old Huebler? Friend ask me to remove some weight and on investigation I find what looks like a brass plug. Maybe a weight bolt. Can it be removed? I tried a big screw driver and could not budge it. Im also concerned the brass deal might be holding on the butt cap.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Somewhere in my post history, I posted a full picture of the set up. Anyways, the weight bolt screws in to a metal sleeve. The butt cap is threaded on to that sleeve.
Be careful.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Hey Doc,

In your second link to the 'cutaway view', is that cutaway or breakaway ?
The reason I ask is that I see no evidence of the mtrl. having been cut.
What I do see is a design that can contribute to splitting of the butt-cap.
The cone-shape shoulder of the wght-blt acts as a splitting wedge.
The purpose in my post is to enlighten the anonymous reader.

KJ

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Doc,

In your second link to the 'cutaway view', is that cutaway or breakaway ?
The reason I ask is that I see no evidence of the mtrl. having been cut.
What I do see is a design that can contribute to splitting of the butt-cap.
The cone-shape shoulder of the wght-blt acts as a splitting wedge.

KJ

LOL! I was being facetious. Yes, it is broken. But pretty conveniently broken for these purposes, eh? That's why I called it a "cutaway".

I don't remember where I got that pic...somewhere on the web. It's not mine.

As for any inherent weaknesses of that design, I am not sure but what you say makes sense. But even just recessing the bumper in the butt cap leads to such failures. We have all seen a butt cap split because the rubber bumper expanded when the owner smacked it on the floor.

It's interesting to consider how different construction methods lend themselves to durability versus service or modification. AFAIK Paul Huebler usually glued in his bolt, obviously intending it generally not be messed with.

I wonder how much thought various cue makers put into that matter of "somebody might need to open this up, service it, or change the weight" at some point...including himself of course.

The purpose of my post is to discuss without revealing my ignorance to the point of embarrassment. :sorry: :grin:

I am no cue maker, just an interested spectator. :smile:

Last edited:

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
Your contributions are certainly welcome, we're glad to have them.
The more positive additions to a thread, the bigger the picture for greater clarity.
Thanx Doc.

StrokeAnalyzer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the insight into the complexities of this operation. Looks too scary to attempt removing the screw/weight bolt. Im gonna give it a pass.

Very informative information. I suspect several people got some valuable information in this tread.

Thanks again
Bob

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huebler weight bolt removal

should not be a problem. The end of what you see of the bolt must be heated with a solder gun or iron. I use 100 watt unit. Does not take long to heat the glue. Tightly grip the butt cap and loosen with large screw driver. If it does not turn easily keep heating. No damage should come to the butt cap unless it is torqued without the glue released. There is no reason to torque it in too tight so as to spread the butt cap on installation.