• Yup

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No doubt

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have looked at the Euro team we are seriously outgunned. To pass on Bergman is silly.

If Bergman was playing either in a long race or best of 5 you know dam well who the favorite is.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have looked at the Euro team we are seriously outgunned. To pass on Bergman is silly.

If Bergman was playing either in a long race or best of 5 you know dam well who the favorite is.
Exactly. JB is better than either one right now. Since JB is out i hope the flat-earth'r gets to play. He's played a long time and this could be his last shot at glory.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know it ain’t gonna happen but I’d love to see JJ in the box, not on the rail giving advice.

JB would be great on the team IMO.

No disrespect at all, but Cory just seems to struggle with mcup. It’s not his strong suit for what ever reason. Funny how that works, not a knock on Cory.

I haven’t kept up on it too much but America again has their work cut out for them. I know they can do it-who ever gets picked!

Best
Fatboy

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

We were seriously outgunned last year, no? Would you really take iceberg over Corey? Take this tourney out of the mix and it is a lot closer

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
Look at his journey to the Final Four:

Justin Bergman v. John Schmidt, 11-10
Justin Bergman v. H. Lombardo, 11-3
Justin Bergman v. Liu RT, 11-3
Justin Bergman v. Dennis Orcollo, 9-11
Justin Bergman v. A. Ouschan, 11-9
Justin Bergman v. Shane Van Boening, 11-9
Justin Bergman v. Thorsten Hohmann, 11-3
Justin Bergman v. Alex Pagulyan, 11-8
Justin Bergman v. Ko P.C., 11-8

well, he didn't manage to beat any of the players on Team Europe 2019, so he is out :grin:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Increase MC team to 6

So the 2 top in form players (JB and Lechner) for USA and Europe going into final stretch of MC month are not in MC. What a shame !
Well, when MC started in early 1990s, they had up to 8 players (including the captain) per team. A number of year like for eg. 2003 had 6 players.
So one solution to all this is Johan and Chamat and Matchroom can mutually agree to increase the team to 6. Johan can then draft JB into his team and Chamat should be quite happy to have red hot Lechner since I am sure he has lingering doubts about the 2 weak links (Kaci and Kazakis that he no say over since they are automatic picks this year) after last year.
Since there are 6 instead of 5, winning team will get $25K each instead of $30K (instead a big increase from last year of $20K each) while losing team gets $12.5K each instead of $15K. Matchroom should not mind forking out extra to pay for costs of 2 extra players since 2 extra players should mean more eyeballs/ more fans/ more social media. Players should not quibble that much with slightly lower payout since having extra member means one extra body to share and cushion the blame if they lose :thumbup:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No disrespect to Max or Corey, but Justin has Mosconi Cup experience, has beaten Shane and Alex in this tournament (and several other good players), and has a Fargo rating that should make him a lock for the team.

Come on Johann and Jeremy, shake things up and get people talking!

None of those players have ever defeated me. Put me on the Mosconi team.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
So the 2 top in form players (JB and Lechner) for USA and Europe going into final stretch of MC month are not in MC. What a shame !
Well, when MC started in early 1990s, they had up to 8 players (including the captain) per team. A number of year like for eg. 2003 had 6 players.
So one solution to all this is Johan and Chamat and Matchroom can mutually agree to increase the team to 6. Johan can then draft JB into his team and Chamat should be quite happy to have red hot Lechner since I am sure he has lingering doubts about the 2 weak links (Kaci and Kazakis that he no say over since they are automatic picks this year) after last year.
Since there are 6 instead of 5, winning team will get $25K each instead of $30K (instead a big increase from last year of $20K each) while losing team gets $12.5K each instead of $15K. Matchroom should not mind forking out extra to pay for costs of 2 extra players since 2 extra players should mean more eyeballs/ more fans/ more social media. Players should not quibble that much with slightly lower payout since having extra member means one extra body to share and cushion the blame if they lose :thumbup:

If Kaci and Kazakis are the "weak" links we are definitely in trouble. :grin:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
We were seriously outgunned last year, no? Would you really take iceberg over Corey? Take this tourney out of the mix and it is a lot closer

I'll take Berg over Corey all day everyday and twice on Sunday. He stunk last year, just as I expected.

What's his record at the cup been over the years?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'll take Berg over Corey all day everyday and twice on Sunday. He stunk last year, just as I expected.

What's his record at the cup been over the years?

Here are the career records of everyone who has ever played in the Mosconi Cup: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=464772

Last year, Corey
• lost both of his singles matches (3-5 vs.Ouschan and 1-5 vs. Feijen),
• won one and lost one in doubles matches (a 5-1 win with SVB vs. Kaci/Kazakis and a 4-5 loss with Styer vs. Feijen/Kaci),
• won one of his two games with Shaw in the teams match (Shaw broke and ran the other game).

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
In order to select those that are playing the best going into the MC current results must be weighted heavier than results which are up to 10 months old

pool, like golf, is a stone head trip at the top levels and who posses the elusive 'it" going into an event has the best chance of performing well

the only "lock" we have is SVB, the remaining slots should be earned based on head to head competition no more than 3+- months prior the the event

CURRENT RESULTS MATTER

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In order to select those that are playing the best going into the MC current results must be weighted heavier than results which are up to 10 months old

pool, like golf, is a stone head trip at the top levels and who posses the elusive 'it" going into an event has the best chance of performing well

the only "lock" we have is SVB, the remaining slots should be earned based on head to head competition no more than 3+- months prior the the event

CURRENT RESULTS MATTER
If current results matter, Tyler Styer is a lock too.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd say it's more like..........if Kaci and Kazakis play like they did last year.....EU is in trouble .

This is a new year and both have had some good results this year. IMO they are both among the elite world class players. The only Team USA player I could put alongside either of them is Shane.