2020 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jeff, Here is a link, Follow The Break Room there will be a couple of tables being live streamed on Facebook. https://m.facebook.com/groups/162117977164725?view=permalink&id=2863997633643399

The brackets should be posted also. Early afternoon on Friday next week I'll post here again.

Scott Brazier

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to it for sure.

If you play there, the way you play in ghost play you will for certain be a favorite to cash because I have a feeling your safe game is on par with your ability to run balls.

Good luck sir.

Jeff

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to it for sure.

If you play there, the way you play in ghost play you will for certain be a favorite to cash because I have a feeling your safe game is on par with your ability to run balls.

Good luck sir.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. I'll be working on some different safety play when I get back home tomorrow.

Gerry Williams

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I am up in the Arctic North - Ottawa, Canada. I do travel for work quite a bit and have been to MN - would certainly let you know if I am ever in the area.

Cheers,
Gerry

Yes sir. It's a darn good idea.

Maybe he lives close enough. Fingers crossed here......

I'm sure there are lots of people on here that actually meet up and play. I'm just not lucky enough to live where any players live.

I only have a couple people that I can play with. One works two jobs and only plays on Saturdays for a short time.

The other owns a business but, he plays a lot of tournaments and between his business and the tournament travel, he doesn't come over much.

Yep. It sucks playing by myself 99% of the time.

I tell my wife that nobody will come to play because I'm to good....lol...I'm not telling her the truth. She goes around bragging that I'm a real good player. One day, she's gonna say it to the wrong person and she'll find out the truth.

Good thing I got the injuries excuse to fall back on if needed..lol

Anyways, yep...I hope you two live close enough.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Jeff. I'll be working on some different safety play when I get back home tomorrow.

Your welcome sir.

Safeties are either underrated or completely forgotten with the majority of people that play mostly ghost matches (me).

I tried to film some of the ghost play with safes. Lol.....after I watched it, I remember thinking "dang, no wonder I get my a55 kicked so often, my safety play sucks".

It's really easy to judge our offensive performance on the fly. We either get out or not. But, our defense, well, during the match I THOUGHT I was shooting the correct safety. LOLOLOL....on review, I almost always found a better safe that I should've played and on some of the games, I found out there was much, much better safeties that I completely over looked.

Good luck at the tournament. I'm sure all the quality table time will pay off.

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I am up in the Arctic North - Ottawa, Canada. I do travel for work quite a bit and have been to MN - would certainly let you know if I am ever in the area.

Cheers,
Gerry

Cool. Also, if your ever in my area.(Florence, Alabama), send me a PM and we can try to hit some balls.

It would be nice if somoe members that lived close to one another,.would played matches and post the vids ever so often.

It's one of the very few ways to improve this section, eventhough it wouldn't technically be ghost play.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Cool. Also, if your ever in my area.(Florence, Alabama), send me a PM and we can try to hit some balls.

It would be nice if somoe members that lived close to one another,.would played matches and post the vids ever so often.

It's one of the very few ways to improve this section, eventhough it wouldn't technically be ghost play.

Jeff

Now your wandering into the territory of the AzB Kings. I’m down to play anyone in or around MD and post up for your viewing pleasure/pain lol.

I think I’ll get a GoPro or something similar with the little clip and long neck under the camera. That way I can set it up wherever I be.

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff

Good news I live roughly 20 minutes from Gerry, bad news is I have found out over the years I'm better suited to play with Gerry rather then against him :)

Gerry, I'm sure the b'y's back home would get a kick out of you referring to Ottawa as the "Artic North". Just a tad bit of snow!

PS... 5 years ago I bought a camera and tripod so I can video my ghost play, I'll get to it. :-/

Cheers,

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now your wandering into the territory of the AzB Kings. I’m down to play anyone in or around MD and post up for your viewing pleasure/pain lol.

I think I’ll get a GoPro or something similar with the little clip and long neck under the camera. That way I can set it up wherever I be.

If a person could run 3 balls they would take the title king of florence Alabama very easily.

I swear, I've thought about relocating just to be in an area where there are people who can and will play a little. I'm retired, so it wouldn't be to much trouble if I could just get the wife to agree...lol

I wish I was joking...pool is dead, dead, dead in florence..

Jeff

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good news I live roughly 20 minutes from Gerry, bad news is I have found out over the years I'm better suited to play with Gerry rather then against him :)

Gerry, I'm sure the b'y's back home would get a kick out of you referring to Ottawa as the "Artic North". Just a tad bit of snow!

PS... 5 years ago I bought a camera and tripod so I can video my ghost play, I'll get to it. :-/

Cheers,

Please do.

I wish more AZ'ers would participate in the ghost thread and maybe even meet up and record their match and post it for others to watch.

I know AZB has lots of talent. I wish somebody would strike a match under their a55's and get em playing in here.

I look forward to seeing your vids.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your welcome sir.

Safeties are either underrated or completely forgotten with the majority of people that play mostly ghost matches (me).

I tried to film some of the ghost play with safes. Lol.....after I watched it, I remember thinking "dang, no wonder I get my a55 kicked so often, my safety play sucks".

It's really easy to judge our offensive performance on the fly. We either get out or not. But, our defense, well, during the match I THOUGHT I was shooting the correct safety. LOLOLOL....on review, I almost always found a better safe that I should've played and on some of the games, I found out there was much, much better safeties that I completely over looked.

Good luck at the tournament. I'm sure all the quality table time will pay off.
Jeff

This is so true. I know I need to work on my safety game. Right now I’ve been working on some other areas and haven’t been playing any ghost matches. I’ve set a goal of accomplishing what I want by the end of February so I don’t know if I will post any ghost matches before then, but I will sooner or later. I also really need to dedicate some time and improve my safety game.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7-2 win, regular 9-ball ghost.
No audio. YouTube blocked the first upload due to my music.

https://youtu.be/KMe01RcpvOo

And Jeff, a match between Scott and Gerry would be fun to watch! I hope the stars align and they get to play.

If anyone wants to watch me get trounced on a live stream, I played Justin again the other day. Race to 11 9-ball, alternate break. I lost 11-5. Obviously Justin wasn’t playing his “A” game. He opened the door and let me snag a couple. Alternate break helps too though. We started before the stream went live and he was already up 2-0 when the vid starts. Anyway, if you’re bored....

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/539816213

Last edited:

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
7-2 win, regular 9-ball ghost.
No audio:

https://youtu.be/KMe01RcpvOo

I had music playing softly, or so I thought. YouTube blocked it. I’ll just mute the audio, reupload the vid, and add the link later.

And Jeff, a match between Scott and Gerry would be fun to watch! I hope the stars align and you guys get to play.

If anyone wants to watch me get trounced on a live stream, I played Justin Bergman again the other day. Race to 11 9-ball, alternate break. I lost 11-5. Obviously Justin wasn’t playing his “A” game. He opened the door and let me snag a couple. Alternate break helps too though. We started before the stream went live and he was already up 2-0 when the vid starts. Anyway, if you’re bored....

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/539816213

What is this peppersauce? Is it a private club type that you’re playing at there?

I haven’t watched the ghost set yet but you did just get out after playing a nice safe on the 6. Two thumbs up.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is this peppersauce? Is it a private club type that you’re playing at there?

I haven’t watched the ghost set yet but you did just get out after playing a nice safe on the 6. Two thumbs up.

It’s not a private club. Anyone is welcome, as long as you’re not a d-bag. They stream all the time on twitch. Check them out; all games, all skill levels, bar box, and 9ft, etc. It’s always a good time out there. If you like action, they’ve got it. Just want to hit balls and have fun, got that too.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
It’s not a private club. Anyone is welcome, as long as you’re not a d-bag. They stream all the time on twitch. Check them out; all games, all skill levels, bar box, and 9ft, etc. It’s always a good time out there. If you like action, they’ve got it. Just want to hit balls and have fun, got that too.

That’s awesome I’ll be watching for sure. It seems like a good atmosphere

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is so true. I know I need to work on my safety game. Right now I’ve been working on some other areas and haven’t been playing any ghost matches. I’ve set a goal of accomplishing what I want by the end of February so I don’t know if I will post any ghost matches before then, but I will sooner or later. I also really need to dedicate some time and improve my safety game.

Yes sir. I look forward to seeing your vids again.

Jeff

brianrz

Does anyone have video software recommendations (prefer opensource/free) for speeding up the time between shots? I am hoping to get some ghost play posted.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use iMovie. It’s built into the os if you have a Mac. I used to speed up only the time between shots, but that was too much work. Now I speed up the entire clip 500%. It takes just one button press, and I think the speed is perfect to view (imo:))

On the windows side, sorry I don’t know which are the free apps there.

sgengaro86

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried yesterday for the first time. 6-ball challenge and lost 5-7 and 3-7. This is on a 9’ Olhausen. I will try again later today. Jeez it is a little harder than I thought. I was actually ahead 4-1 first time and got some unlucky rolls, etc and got smoked.

This is fun and does add a little game pressure to practice.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I tried yesterday for the first time. 6-ball challenge and lost 5-7 and 3-7. This is on a 9’ Olhausen. I will try again later today. Jeez it is a little harder than I thought. I was actually ahead 4-1 first time and got some unlucky rolls, etc and got smoked.

This is fun and does add a little game pressure to practice.

The ghost sets really have a way of smacking you in the face sometimes 😫

But yeah it is really fun and I think it’s great great practice. Safety play is important but running out with an open table is a must.