One Pocket: Filler vs Shuff

thenuke

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tap, Tap !

Brandon is a strong semi-pro player who has devoted endless hours and travel around the country pursuing mastery of this game we all love. Unfortunately in our sport there is only room at the top for a very small few, and for many reasons most players are left by the wayside. Partly it is because the new breed start younger, practice with more discipline, and have better examples of how top play should look.

I think this thread is a bit hard on him. So he isn't cashing in international events lately. Well, it is such a negative return for a player around that speed to spend a week and a few thousand dollars to play against the Fillers and Changs I can't really blame him. I'd bet that if he was winning 1-2 local tournaments a month and making money in his local pool rooms playing $50 sets and $30 one pocket he'd take a shot, but let me bring you up to speed. Probably no one local wants to play him anymore, he's kicked out of all of the <699FR tournaments (or has to give up prohibitive handicaps elsewhere), and he probably hasn't won anything in his own state border for a few years. So without any cash flow coming in from his regional play, he probably doesn't have the surplus funds to fire at the international events, nor the confidence of having just won a bunch of tournaments.

So now after the game evolves past him at the higher levels and everyone at the lower levels won't come near him with a nickel, he's finally beaten down, realizes that his pool path doesn't lead much further, and while he still probably loves the game and plays now and again, he's no longer going to fight the universe on this one.

Listen, there is no disrespect in an objective conversation about where someone's game is rated, as long as the tone is right. If we are just debating how strong he played one pocket that is fine with me. But I was starting to feel that he was being diminished, disrespected, and eye rolled a little. Maybe I took something wrong. But this road we're on is a super hard one and while it's true no one forced him to pick this path, I have a lot of compassion for those who gave their all. He's a pool player, one of us. He never claimed to be the greatest in the world, just someone trying their best along the path we all share.

Hear, hear. Agree wholeheartedly:clapping::clapping:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd favor Roberto Gomez. also missing from BeiberLvr's list, over either of them.

Not familiar with Gomez one pocket game, but I will trust your judgement.

That would be 9, and the last spot I guess would be a toss up between

Frost
Efren
Roberts

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be a good tester for Filler.

I'd rather see this than him play 8ball against Bergman

Anything over race to 21 is too much with Bregman(slow pace).

Maybe Warren Kiamco lucked out getting sick. They did play some at Vegas and ended up even.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a good bit of filler/ 1p and...

There are definitely som subtleties he has not developed, like sub-optimal speed into the stack. He often hits the stack too hard, resulting in balls creeping out, vs. sticking whitey.

He also isn't as good at leaving balls he shoots toward his hole in optimal position. The obs are often left on end rail, where they are no threat if opponent responds with up-table leave. Frost is the best I have seen with this, leaving ob in the arc in front of his hole.

Dude is a monster though. If he becomes proficient in a few more minor aspects, look out (pool) world.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I should ask for a refund - I bought that book and I don't play 1 hole anywhere near as good as Filler - LOL

BTW, if you are going to take up 1 hole or for that matter are already a 1 hole player, this is a GREAT book and video set

Tom can still play some great 1P. Great book and video’s for sure

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not familiar with Gomez one pocket game, but I will trust your judgement.

That would be 9, and the last spot I guess would be a toss up between

Frost
Efren
Roberts

Roberto has played is several of Buffalo’s 1P events, he’s getting better at 1P. His win over Josh Roberts is proof he’s improving

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Filler vs Billy Thorpe

I don't think Filler is even close to ready for a matchup with the two time Derby City One-Pocket champion. He'll need to build his way up to this level of competition. Give him at least a couple of years.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Filler is even close to ready for a matchup with the two time Derby City One-Pocket champion. He'll need to build his way up to this level of competition. Give him at least a couple of years.

I disagree, Billy is just under the Very top 1P players. Filler may not beat Billy in a race to 24, I think he’d at least be competitive. I’d probably put a small wager on Filler just to see how it goes.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love to see it go down. He wants to improve his 1p game, he'll have to play 1 monsters on a regular.

I'm sure Billy's camp will jump on it. I can appreciate Billy's pace in 1p. Shuff can take his time.

Last edited:

benny-the-blade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Filler’s gonna take on T-Rex this week, it seems. One hole race to 21 over two nights. They’re playing even.

Roy’s Basement will have the free stream.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Filler’s gonna take on T-Rex this week, it seems. One hole race to 21 over two nights. They’re playing even.

Roy’s Basement will have the free stream.

Now you're talking. This is a real test for Filler. I'm not sure this is the best "move" for him right now. If he beats T-Rex, he loses a lot of games that he could have made money on (Thorpe, Hall, Deuel, Frost, Smith, Lunda, Compton, Roberts, etc.). Only a couple of guys left for him to play (Alex, Dennis, maybe Shane).

It's a loonng way from October to May, six months in fact. My take on Filler is that he is a serious student of the game and he is ready to learn all he can about any new pool game where he can make money, and what better game then One Pocket to do just that. He kind of reminds me of Harold Worst and Efren. Both of them picked up the game rather quickly (in less than a year they went from average to great!).

It's too late now but I was fully prepared to bet on Filler if he played one of the lesser One Pocket champs (mentioned above). He needs a better manager to steer him into the best games first before taking on the Godzillas of One Pocket. My feeling is that he is simply a better pool player than a lot of these other guys and their skills at One Pocket won't save them now that he has acquired more knowledge of the game, thanks to Tom Wirth. If he can master all the moves in Tom's book, then he is ready to take on the world. But why start at the top?

I think some people underrated him on this thread, saying he still had a year or two to go to get to the top. I say he is at or near the top now! He could beat T-Rex. I will guarantee you one thing. He is not going to get blown out. Tony has a battle on his hands. This is not a guy (Filler) who likes to lose. He likes winning that dough, that's for sure!

One last thing. Brandon Shuff is one helluva guy in my book! He never complains and always gives it all he's got in every match. He is a real pool grinder, consistently in the money, usually in the top ten to twelve, but rarely in the top four to six. He seems to make two or three good scores every year and earns just enough to keep going. I would back him in a second! He is a low level pro player, but make no mistake about it, he is professional grade all the way. The man can play! Brandon almost got picked for the MC team last year as I recall. He just bit off a little too much taking on one of the best players in the world with Filler, not realizing this guy has been preparing himself for some serious One Pocket battles. Shuff was just a warm-up match for him.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I counted the total balls pocketed by each player -- well, actually, final scores in each rack. I missed racks 10 and 11 which seem not to have been recorded. The totals for 15 racks were:

Filler 108
Shuff 51

I think Filler may have had home-table advantage in that he's been playing on that table for a month.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Now you're talking. This is a real test for Filler. I'm not sure this is the best "move" for him right now. If he beats T-Rex, he loses a lot of games that he could have made money on (Thorpe, Hall, Deuel, Frost, Smith, Lunda, Compton, Roberts, etc.). Only a couple of guys left for him to play (Alex, Dennis, maybe Shane).

...snip...

Just my opinion, but I don't think anyone from that list would have played against Filler, even though they all have way more experience than Filler. I think as of yesterday, the only players on the planet that would play Filler even in one hole (and more importantly can get backed) are Dennis, Alex, Shane (if he's not fishing:)), Busty, and Tony. If Filler happens to beat Tony, all 5 of them would still step up and still play him.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I counted the total balls pocketed by each player -- well, actually, final scores in each rack. I missed racks 10 and 11 which seem not to have been recorded. The totals for 15 racks were:

Filler 108
Shuff 51

I think Filler may have had home-table advantage in that he's been playing on that table for a month.

I believe they were in a pool hall for this match, not Roy's basement table?