Unheard of APA Rules

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Rules

I heard a rule the other day that made me wonder. How many rules exists in APA that no one has heard of our possibly made up.
Maybe there are rules for League Operators that no one knows about.

One Such Rules was back when I went to Vegas a few years ago.
The Rule a league operator told me was...,

Once you play in Vegas, Your ranking can never go down. You are locked in to that Skill Level.

I thought that was quiet off considering I knew someone who went and played as 4.
Came back and was lowered to a 3.

Another Rule got presented to me the other day.

My 9 ball ranking is a 7. I have really been practicing and playing a lot.
I was thrilled to go up. However my 8 ball handicap was a 4. I stayed this way for about a month.
I have to add..., I really do stink it 8 ball. I have no idea why. other than safety play confuses me.

Anyway.. My skill level in 8 ball went up this week after a loss. A bad loss. In fact I got skunked.

I was told that you can never have your ranking more than 2 skill levels apart. I am confused over this.
Is this truly a rule? I know a guy who was moved down to skill levels because he turned in a Doctor's note.

He is better than I am.. He was moved from APA 7 in 9 ball to a 5.

So do they League Operators have a secret handbook of rules. Do these rules secretly exist or do they make them up as they go along?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Rules

I heard a rule the other day that made me wonder. How many rules exists in APA that no one has heard of our possibly made up.

Once you play in Vegas, Your ranking can never go down. You are locked in to that Skill Level.

I thought that was quiet off considering I knew someone who went and played as 4.

I was thrilled to go up. However my 8 ball handicap was a 4. I stayed this way for about a month.
I have to add..., I really do stink it 8 ball. I have no idea why. other than safety play confuses me.

Anyway.. My skill level in 8 ball went up this week after a loss. A bad loss. In fact I got skunked.

I was told that you can never have your ranking more than 2 skill levels apart. I am confused over this.
Is this truly a rule? I know a guy who was moved down to skill levels because he turned in a Doctor's note.

So do they League Operators have a secret handbook of rules. Do these rules secretly exist or do they make them up as they go along?

They are not unheard of coop as I also have heard of them.

Dont quote me as I have known to be wrong before. I believe they hold you to your skill level you reached at nationals for nationals. I believe you can go back down in your local level but in the event you go back to nationals again you would have to play at the previous level you were in nationals.....unless you were raised at the local level before nationals.

It is my understanding its the lo' s prerogative. I believe some will let you go down if the equalizer system lowers you itself and I believe other lo' s may hold you to the national level regardless how you play at the local level.

I have also heard you can be no more than 2 levels apart but I have no idea if its true or not. Both of those are rules you should ask your lo....I have heard of rules before ...even from division reps that i found not to be true when I asked the lo directly.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Rules

This is discussed in the Official Team Manual. It's on page 36 in the current manual, under "APA Championship Lowest Attainable Rule".

You can find the Official Team Manual here.

Is this truly a rule?

No, not a rule. But it is quite odd, and it's not a surprise to me that your 8-Ball skill level was adjusted. Maybe the LO got some feedback from other league members and is acting on that.

If it was your LO who told you that, they lied to you. I don't think an LO should ever need to lie to their players.

We do have an operations manual. Most franchise businesses do, to establish uniformity of business operations. Its existence is not secret, but its contents are private. While it's not a secret handbook of rules, some of the business practices can affect different public parts of the league.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
As Lo said, these are not unheard of rules. Look at a team manual and find skill level -
"Lowest Attainable" (I think that's still in there). - Basically if you qualify for a Las Vegas
tournament and if you play then the Lowest Attainable rule is applicable to
you, if you don't play then it's not. The rule says that whatever S/L you leave there as in
a particular game is the lowest that you will fall to. It's a little more involved than that but that's basically what it is.
I've never heard of only being 2 S/L's apart, but imagine it would be such a rare thing that it's not very likely to happen anyway.
When calculating your S/L try to consider all that goes into that. It's not unusual to go
up after a loss or down after a win

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me that apa rules get adjusted as the league operator wants them to. This is what I HEAR, I don't play in it myself and won't. Too damn many odd rules.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me that apa rules get adjusted as the league operator wants them to. This is what I HEAR, I don't play in it myself and won't. Too damn many odd rules.

I'm with you. Too much BS to put up with when you can find a well run in house league or make your own game.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member

This is true to a point. Every Area (League Operator) can develop some rules locally to
accommodate local situations. For instance, in the APA it is legal to jump and masse',
however some room owners forbid this on their equipment. So there may be a local rule
that is no jumping or masse'. While it's totally legal at the national level of play locally it
may not be allowed. As I understand it, The APA does encourage all LO's to play by the
APA rules and try to avoid making local rules that differ from the APA Manual.
At the national level it could put your players at a disadvantage

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you. Too much BS to put up with when you can find a well run in house league or make your own game.

Would you mind enlightening us how many pro tournaments in the u.s. Has the same rules ? you have 3 major tournaments in the northeastern region of north America ....turning stone ....dcc and the us open . None of them go by the same rules.

Why should an amateur league be held to a higher standard than pro tournaments?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What about pro tournaments? How many times has the 9 ball break been adjusted in these tournaments?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does that have to do with league operators?

Well .....you stated that you " heard " apa league operators adjust rules as they want to which is not entirely true. They have a little leeway in setting local bylaws but cannot deviate from the national rules.

Pro tournament promotors seem to be adjusting rules all the time and not much is said. People always seem to be bashing apa...such as you were and your reason for such bashing is false.

If you had stated bcapl league I would not have an issue because your statement is entirely true concerning that league.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well .....you stated that you " heard " apa league operators adjust rules as they want to which is not entirely true. They have a little leeway in setting local bylaws but cannot deviate from the national rules.

Pro tournament promotors seem to be adjusting rules all the time and not much is said. People always seem to be bashing apa...such as you were and your reason for such bashing is false.

If you had stated bcapl league I would not have an issue because your statement is entirely true concerning that league.

Well, that IS what I HEARD. You can have all the issues you feel your opinion is entitled to, just like anyone else.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, that IS what I HEARD. You can have all the issues you feel your opinion is entitled to, just like anyone else.

Well sir you are entitled to your opinion as well. I was just informing you that what you heard was not correct .

You are well.entitled to not like apa for whatever reasons you choose but I was just pointing out one of your dislikes of apa was based on false information that you heard.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well sir you are entitled to your opinion as well. I was just informing you that what you heard was not correct .

You are well.entitled to not like apa for whatever reasons you choose but I was just pointing out one of your dislikes of apa was based on false information that you heard.

Since the people who gave me that information I know and trust and do not know you, I'll take their information at face value.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Since the people who gave me that information I know and trust and do not know you, I'll take their information at face value.

I would guess the people you heard this from heard it also from somewhere. They were
misinformed as well and in turn they’ve misinformed you and probably others.
Disappointing, but not surprising, and disappointing you’re not open to people that are
in all likelihood more experienced and more knowledgeable as far as the APA is
concerned. From what you are saying though, it fortuitous that you are not and will
never be an APA player. It’s not for everyone. Not everyone has the discipline or team
mentality to function in The APA system.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would guess the people you heard this from heard it also from somewhere. They were
misinformed as well and in turn they’ve misinformed you and probably others.
Disappointing, but not surprising, and disappointing you’re not open to people that are
in all likelihood more experienced and more knowledgeable as far as the APA is
concerned. From what you are saying though, it fortuitous that you are not and will
never be an APA player. It’s not for everyone. Not everyone has the discipline or team
mentality to function in The APA system.

LOL!! That is a HOOT!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA Rules

Doctor's note - I give that guy the creativity trophy but I wouldn't change his handicap if I was running the league.

I should start up the Ball Banger Association and charge for credentials identifying people as a certified ball banger. Show the credentials at any affiliated pool league or tournament in the country to get points off your handicap.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doctor's note - I give that guy the creativity trophy but I wouldn't change his handicap if I was running the league.

I should start up the Ball Banger Association and charge for credentials identifying people as a certified ball banger. Show the credentials at any affiliated pool league or tournament in the country to get points off your handicap.

I am on the fence about that rule.. Having received an injury years ago that left me with 29% disability in my shooting hand I know first hand how a disability can affect your level of play. Having received quite a bit of nerve and tendon damage I have found that humidity....temperature....and how much strain I put on my hand at work on amy particular day can affect my level of play greatly from one day to the next.

On the other hand I believe the handicapping system works pretty good and if some one has an ailment that affects their level of play the handicapping system would adjust their skill level accordingly over a period of time.