Camera ideas

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm closing on my new house in a few weeks and get to re-do my pool room. I recently ordered a new diamond table, holding off on 2nd 1/2 of payment so I can finalize the table size. I may have room for a nine fter this time!!!!! But best to make sure. Anyway one of the things I want is the ability to EASILY record my play, for iPad/ iPhone playback and possibly upload vids to social media and YouTube. I'm looking for good picture and edit features without breaking the bank. My outside the box thinker at work suggested high definition security cams with DVR, then I could also have the different views playing on several tvs around the room in live time. I like the concept but not sure if that would work, but in reality a Walmart camera and tripod would do if I new what to purchase! What do you guys think, I like to have the ability for different angles also.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You plan on controlling it from a computer? If so maybe look at Open Broadcaster Software and get whatever cameras you like. I’d consider security wall mounts if you can over tripods. If controlling from an iPhone, you won’t get multiple angles but the Mevo camera is worth looking by into. But don’t go that route if you wish to expand your setup into anything complex later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may also want to look into density and file size for a given length of recording. Some devices (like my I-phone 6s) create a large file after a short 30sec recording. It was large enough that I couldn't send it in an email. I didn't try to resize and I don't remember having this issue before with another I-phone. Either way ease of file operations would be important to me. I wouldn't want to massage each file or edit out stuff to be able to use it as I wanted.

From what I've been able to determine, a go-pro type camera is much more friendly than videos from phones. I need to do more research on this too.

JayBates

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The least expensive and most future proof or future flexible solution is to use a cheap computer or laptop and a Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam ($50). Download the free recording software Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) as Matt suggested.

The webcam will record 1080p and your recording limit time is determined by the size of the hard drive in your computer. For reference, I recorded a 4k screen capture that was 53 minutes long and the file size was 795mb. A single 1080p recording would be approximately 1/4 that file size (depending on exact OBS settings). Set the webcam to manual focus on the center of the table so it won't hunt while you walk around and a manual exposure set to an empty table with nobody on it.

This is an incredibly easy and inexpensive setup. Add as many webcams as you want. OBS is extremely customizable so you could easily use 4 webcams and record each in a quarter of the 1080 screen if you wanted. Use a large TV as the computer monitor and you can have it display the capture in real time so you/others can see the recording as you play. This setup will also allow you to broadcast the webcam to the TV without recording so you can use it like a mirror to check your stroke or something like that.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Webcam is a very cheap solution and probably better than the price suggest (assuming you already have a computer to connect it to!)

Me and a friend of mine got a webcam (the model JayBates mentioned) to start livestreaming tournaments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44dQSoOK4s4&t=7184s
You can check the quality you should be expecting to get out of this setup.