Cue popularity by region

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Southern Ontario, a lot of predators and McDs, and some schon's. Dufferin was popular here years ago, and still see a lot of old Dufferins.

The few customs at my hall are only with a few guys with a small collection like me. There is really only 3 or 4 of us that appreciate customs.

this changes in Toronto. I am told there are quite a few with customs.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems like as good a place as any to lost this.

I was in WI a few weeks ago and

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190917-183442.jpg
    Screenshot_20190917-183442.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 489

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SoCal is TAD country!

Maybe an Asian thing, but TAD was/is very popular here in Hawaii.

Plus, Hawaiian Brian used a TAD.

In edit:

I was asked a couple weeks ago if I wanted to buy Brian's TAD and I wasn't interested.

I am not sure how many he owned, but this was supposedly his playing cue and it was one of the ornate fancy ones.

I'm sure the price tag was way up there.

If anybody is interested, I'll ask if it is still available and for how much.

Last edited:

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wichita Kansas, as far as customs are concerned Bob Owens cues are available all the time.

If you really want to see what cue maker is prominent in your area, go to the pawn shops.

You will see like I do, custom makers like Bob in my area. I usually pick them up, and

when I travel, use to trade for another 'regional cue maker'. When in Florida, not many there

and am able to sell real easy, or trade...which I prefer. Since his shop is here, many have gone out

to locals, some can play, others can't and end up selling. Not saying you are going to

see a TAD in a pawn shop, but you may more likely to see a local artist in one if you look.

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Of course, nearly all pool players in Mississippi have heard of Meucci. McDermott is also well known. Viking has a presence, but perhaps not as much name recognition.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seriously doubt Tim sold more cues to buyers living within 200 miles of Baltimore under his own name,
not including any cues at he made while at Joss, than the rest of the nation. As Tim’s reputation grew, so
did his customer base. How many buyers of TS cues resided in Baltimore + 200 mi vs. the rest of the USA?

Like I originally posted but apparently was not appreciated,. I concede that commion sense tells
you these cue-makers would have had a following in their neck of the woods, i.e., 200 mi of Baltimore,

IMO, it’s more likely Tim sold more cues nationally than locally during his career. When you become a
heralded name in cue-making like Tim Scruggs was, well, your new cue orders arrive from across the
nation and of course, some will remain local orders but more orders will be from more distant buyers.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seriously doubt Tim sold more cues to buyers living within 200 miles of Baltimore under his own name,
not including any cues at he made while at Joss, than the rest of the nation. As Tim’s reputation grew, so
did his customer base. How many buyers of TS cues resided in Baltimore + 200 mi vs. the rest of the USA?

Like I originally posted but apparently was not appreciated,. I concede that commion sense tells
you these cue-makers would have had a following in their neck of the woods, i.e., 200 mi of Baltimore,

IMO, it’s more likely Tim sold more cues nationally than locally during his career. When you become a
heralded name in cue-making like Tim Scruggs was, well, your new cue orders arrive from across the
nation and of course, some will remain local orders but more orders will be from more distant buyers.

I agree, and would you not also agree that the saturation of TS cues 200 miles around

Baltimore is more, than any city on the west coast? His base spans the world, and if only

sold 50 cues in Baltimore, and sold 100 to other people, there would still be more in

Baltimore.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like a few others have said.....meucci is pretty popular around here since he is local. I. Have come a cross plenty of people who covet the originals and will not sell them. Well i did talk to a guy the other day who said he bought a meucci original butt for 20.00 and took it to meucci to be refinished and have a shaft made.

Another is the alex brick dymond wood jump breaks. A dealer here a would get 10 at a time and they woukd be gone in a matter of days.

Predator seemed to be popular around here since i got back into pool around 10 years ago after a several year hiatus. Its normal to see 10 or more revos when i go to the pool hall now a days.

Oh yea ....see quite a few schons around also have seen a few mike benders ...mcdaniels and a few other customs whose names escapes me right now but i dont really check out what people are playing with anymore unless the design catches my eye because i guess i have lost interest in whats out there.

cuenut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not surprisingly, custom cuemakers popular in the Houston area are Richard Black, Jerry Olivier, Roger Allen. Other lesser known regional guys are Toeboy, Danny Spates, and recent newcomer Grady Cooper. But that Revo guy sure has the market on shafts!

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member

Do you have any idea how much money is in the surrounding Baltimore area?
Go into the New Green Room and try and find an old fella without a Scruggs sneaky. It's like Palmers used to be in New Jersey. Tim's major production days were pre-internet; so, you're telling me he sold more cues via brochure & mail/phone order than in the surrounding area? That's a bold statement, Cotton...

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Round here it's Josey - very good cuemaker, very local. Always involved and willing to just work on cues that aren't his. Tips, cleaning, repairs. Great guy.
Keith and Sherri Josey are top of the heap. Built me a sneaky 2012. Last year I sent him my 2 Rick Howard shafts for him to turn down to 12.75. Excellent service and very reasonable.
If I ever consider ordering another custom, these 2 folks would be my only consideration !!!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go into the New Green Room and try and find an old fella without a Scruggs sneaky. It's like Palmers used to be in New Jersey. Tim's major production days were pre-internet; so, you're telling me he sold more cues via brochure & mail/phone order than in the surrounding area? That's a bold statement, Cotton...

It is whacky that he'd continue to defend that claim. And he even stated 'their sales records'...meaning first sales.

Of course, he did slip in the whole country, vs the 200mi :rolleyes:.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

There is one collector in the area who has probably 100 Scruggs cues in his collection.

There are two Scruggs in my pool room. I own one and sold the other.....

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It makes me happy to see how well Tim scruggs did in his home area,he was a great guy and deserves recognition

I owned or bought over 100 of his cuesTim did sell most of his cues either locally or to Luckyin Japan

Tim gave lucky credit for making him the cue maker thathe became,Lucky was very discrimnating and when he saw reasons for improvement he mentioned it to Tim

In Dallas,it was and still is rare to see any of the cues mentioned above

Mc dermott and meucci were common,Schon was never unusual

I doubt that on a daily basis you would see any $500 cue on a regular basis

I sold a bunch of cues down here,maybe 200 schons ,but seldom saw them again in the hands of the
action players

We have some great local cue makers in John Nemic and Larry Vigus ,,these play so good that
people don't have to look far to buy great cues

I used to buy from Mottey in some volumn,his cues sold great wherever I went,they played as good as anything

efren still has oneif i am not mistaken

In Dennison,everyone plays Larry Vigus,they know and love him and his cues,when I see such local popularity
I know the cues play good

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dunno....maybe per capita if you base cue ownership on something like that.
Doesn’t matter how much money there is or was in Baltimore then or now.

Just mull over the population difference with the other 49 states vs a 200 mi.
radius. This is just a silly debate that makes little sense when you really think
about it. Tim was a great cue-maker and person and I enjoy owning one of his
pool cues.....flat faced ivory radial pin......and the darn cue plays magnificently.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Orlando/Florida area Chris Nitti cues are very common. Very nice guy and easy to deal with. Chris does excellent work and prices are reasonable.
Tom

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cues being sought after prior to the internet was a very regional thing. Like has been said in this thread, good examples were TAD on the west coast, Tim Scruggs & BB in the mid-Atlantic, and here in the northeast the accomplished players were after Balabushkas, Palmers and then Paradise entered the market, too. I know some players from New England who would gladly travel all the way to western PA to get their Gus cues direct and he sure had much of PA and OH loving his cues.

For a while it seemed like every top pro was using a Meucci and while they were def a southern hit, the top pros using them certainly helped them to become popular nationally. Back then they made a great quality cue (Meucci Originals).

One of the best examples imo of regionally popular cuemakers is Mike Johnson (Jensen Cues) in Louisiana. The guy makes killer cues and they are highly regarded down there but not very well known nationally.

measureman mentioned CO is Ernie Martinez country and before that it was Bill Stroud/Josswest territory along with NM and OK.

The internet has def opened things up for todays makers.

best,
brian kc

Last edited: