Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626
Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-21-2019, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
You know I can't comprehend all this right?
There^^^^^^ fixed it for ya.

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#77)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
More accurately: about what he may or may not have done.

Lou Figueroa
whereís the tape?
My question is when the video becomes available are you going to watch it from start to finish?

I for one will just accept that it happened. No one is asking me for money.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#78)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
My question is when the video becomes available are you going to watch it from start to finish?

I will most def watch the ENTIRE THING....

Not bashin ya Lou, but, if you are going to contest someone's already accepted accomplishment, you should at the very minimum use the proper terminology. It is not "tape" and I seriously doubt it will be on any sort of "tape"...

Footage, video, recording..... Seriously, this whole thing is a total joke. JS is one badass 14.1 player and everyone who is HATING, should go look in the mirror and realize you aint nothing in the scope of all of what he accomplished!

Trent

p.s. I been trying to stay out of this whole load of bullcrap, but, it is beyond RIDICULOUS!!!

Old
  (#79)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:

I don't know -- it's been long enough that I've kinda lost interest.

If what you're really asking is if I'm going to do a forensic analysis of it, no. There are others here that do that kind of thing far better than moi.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#80)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
I will most def watch the ENTIRE THING....

Not bashin ya Lou, but, if you are going to contest someone's already accepted accomplishment, you should at the very minimum use the proper terminology. It is not "tape" and I seriously doubt it will be on any sort of "tape"...

Footage, video, recording..... Seriously, this whole thing is a total joke. JS is one badass 14.1 player and everyone who is HATING, should go look in the mirror and realize you aint nothing in the scope of all of what he accomplished!

Trent

p.s. I been trying to stay out of this whole load of bullcrap, but, it is beyond RIDICULOUS!!!

Good grief, talk about nitpicking.

Tape, smape. It's a generic term and everyone knows there's no actual tape. It's not unlike people talking about what someone else said here when it reality it's about what people have written.

Lou Figueroa
talk about
beyond ridiculous

Old
  (#81)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I don't know -- it's been long enough that I've kinda lost interest.

If what you're really asking is if I'm going to do a forensic analysis of it, no. There are others here that do that kind of thing far better than moi.

Lou Figueroa
I like to play straight pool. Watching high runs is like watching paint dry or grass grow though.

I don't think I'm unusual in this regard. That was my thought about it.

Hope he figures out a way to monetize his accomplishment but that also seems unlikely to me.

JC

Mr?? Newflash
Old
  (#82)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

Mr?? Newflash - 09-21-2019, 09:16 AM

No one who views this tape will ever learn anything about straight pool. It won't be displayed anywhere. Guinness will only recognize a record if they secure the proof and the rights to use the proof. Same with the Smithsonian. You can review each for application for a record and none exist for 626 Billiards run. No one can look at the film and comment about each and every shot prior to taking the shot or the next or the next shot. Mosconi planned and played three to seven shots ahead of himself. Not being appreciative of the accomplishment is one thing, but to realize the damage to the game of 14.1 Straight Pool/Continuous is another thing. JS had NOTHING to lose in this run, only a self important gain. It's not like he was scaling Mt. Everest, no danger of being injured by a machine that he was working on, this was just another pool game. He may have fallen asleep, fell on the table and interrupted the pattern that you speak so highly of. He might have broken a fingernail. Who knows. The damage to the game is that JS will not be the last one to just make up any process and pursue that to a new record. The small vocal membership for and against this BS is equally small percentage of AZB's membership, even including the trolls. Sorry, but you're witnessing the facts of life.

Last edited by xradarx; 09-21-2019 at 09:20 AM.

Old
  (#83)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Good grief, talk about nitpicking.

Lou Figueroa
talk about
beyond ridiculous

I have always had a lot of respect for you on here, always keep it clean and usually you hit the nail on the head on most topics.

I feel shame for all of you who would rather choose to TEAR DOWN/ CALL AN ESTABLISHED PRO A LIAR(and all the industry people who witnessed it and signed off on it) than celebrate such an AWESOME LIFETIME ACCOMPLISHMENT!

Take it or leave it, it is my opinion and it will be my last post here on this topic.

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#84)
JC
Needs Moderation

09-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradarx View Post
No one who views this tape will ever learn anything about straight pool. It won't be displayed anywhere. Guinness will only recognize a record if they secure the proof and the rights to use the proof. Same with the Smithsonian. You can review each for application for a record and none exist for 626 Billiards run. No one can look at the film and comment about each and every shot prior to taking the shot or the next or the next shot. Mosconi planned and played three to seven shots ahead of himself. Not being appreciative of the accomplishment is one thing, but to realize the damage to the game of 14.1 Straight Pool/Continuous is another thing. JS had NOTHING to lose in this run, only a self important gain. It's not like he was scaling Mt. Everest, no danger of being injured by a machine that he was working on, this was just another pool game. He may have fallen asleep, fell on the table and interrupted the pattern that you speak so highly of. He might have broken a fingernail. Who knows. The damage to the game is that JS will not be the last one to just make up any process and pursue that to a new record. The small vocal membership for and against this BS is equally small percentage of AZB's membership, even including the trolls. Sorry, but you're witnessing the facts of life.

Better take a different angle and re examine life, not sure you got the facts of it straight.

Bizarre reasoning and conclusion.

JC

Old
  (#85)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Silver Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I donít know anything about Guinness records or if he is even looking for that, from what heís said he wants to put the video out so why wouldnít anyone learn anything? I learn something all the time watching pool.

JS announced that he was trying to run over 526 and even live streamed his attempts. To me that put mad pressure on him. It was a pretty bold implied statement and he knew he might end up looking silly if he failed. No one likes to look silly.

I see no chance for ďdamageĒ to 14.1 lol. What an odd thing to say. His high run attempts were the same format as the DCC high run attempts. It would be a little awkward and tiresome to start a high run by safe breaking and then playing both sides until he sold himself out a shot...or whatever some think he should have done. Maybe have his racker act as tomato can opponent.

Matches are played to 150 or 200 tops normally so itís not feasible to try it there. Itís a high run. It is a display of what you can do in 14.1 once you get an open shot.

Aaanyway Iím just stalling here before I have to go for a drive.

Old
  (#86)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-21-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I don't think Guinness has anything to do with the old record or the new record...its just some obscure stat, interesting and remarkable to a few, meaningless to most. John didn't set out to do something dangerous or daring and Mosconi didn't either...why even bring up such a thing. What John did is a record. If you want to reason that it doesn't break Mosconi's record then fine...they are two different records. I can't run 7 balls most days but I have a tough time saying running 626 the way John did is any more or less difficult than winning an exhibition match after making 150 and deciding to keep shooting. Did Mosconi break at the beginning of the exhibition match or pick up after his exhibition opponent missed?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have a nice Day!
Old
  (#87)
xradarx
AzB Silver Member
xradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond reputexradarx has a reputation beyond repute

Have a nice Day! - 09-21-2019, 01:08 PM

G'head, have a nice drive. Get this BS off your mind. Nothing personal, just passing time anywho.

Old
  (#88)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

09-21-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
Lou is an old-school PAO.

He wrote Joe Biden's speech about how teachers should get a raise and how parents should have their "record players" on at night to teach their children.

Also, he is a 14.1 expert and Mosconi's record will never be broken, no matter how many balls anybody runs.

Old
  (#89)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

09-21-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianEye View Post
Lou is an old-school PAO.

He wrote Joe Biden's speech about how teachers should get a raise and how parents should have their "record players" on at night to teach their children.

Also, he is a 14.1 expert and Mosconi's record will never be broken, no matter how many balls anybody runs.
I have 2 early 1900's Victrola's both in MINT and a Library of Shellac 78's, more than half of my library is new old stock, aka most were never played when I got the collection.

I also have 2 technic 1210'mk3d Turntables and a Urei Dj mixer
OLD SKOOL AS HECK!

I still believe John did what accomplished and I am astonished at how many haters there are out there.

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#90)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member

09-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I like to play straight pool. Watching high runs is like watching paint dry or grass grow though.

I don't think I'm unusual in this regard. That was my thought about it.

Hope he figures out a way to monetize his accomplishment but that also seems unlikely to me.

I can understand this sentiment but knowledge and experience is part of being able to appreciate many things in life.

Perhaps it's like wine or cigars -- to some they're just a drink or a smoke. But others are able to detectcect a huge host of fine details and differentiate a slew of small but important details between different tobaccos or grapes. To me, when I watch someone play 14.1, I can pick out all kinds of subtleties. Or in the case of 1pocket, watching a couple of nights of Orcullo and Chohan, I have already learned two subtle but personally important things that I went to the pool table today and immediately incorporated into my own game.

Some guys see stuff like that, others see paint drying. YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited by lfigueroa; 09-21-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Page 6 of 8 « First 456 78

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: