Help With Dating / Value of This Ginacue

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
A good friend owns this very interesting Ginacue and I was wondering if any of our azb members might be familiar with approx when this cue was made and also what the value might be. One shaft appears to be orig and the 2nd shafts

I've had a couple of Ginas but not this old and interesting.

Any help/comments appreciated.

thx,
brian kc

Attachments

• Ginacue-Sal-bumper.jpg
    Ginacue-Sal-bumper.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,078
  • Ginacue-Sal-butt.jpg
    Ginacue-Sal-butt.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Ginacue-Sal-butt2.jpg
    Ginacue-Sal-butt2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,070
  • Ginacue-Sal-full.jpg
    Ginacue-Sal-full.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Ginacue-Sal-pin-tips.jpg
    Ginacue-Sal-pin-tips.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 1,075

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very interesting, but strange.

I don't recall Ernie doing a white bumper.

I don't recall Ernie doing an Acme joint pin.

I don't recall Ernie doing a Lucite ferrule, though could have been done later.

This one's strange, but very interesting.

All the best,
WW

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This cue may be older than that, This has to be one of his first cues in year one.

I agree....maybe ‘62 or a bit later....
...I had one from that era....never saw another like it....aluminum Buska rings...
..and a much thicker aluminum ring just above the butt plate.

I think in his second era....late 80s....Ernie’s cues looked more recognizable...
...he’d found his thing that shouted Gina from across the room.

If that was my cue, I’d ship it to Ernie and have it restored....I think it’s valuable....
...plus, you would get the history....on paper.

Is Ernie still working?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
when I picked up the cue my first thought based on some old Ginas I've seen and the 'look' of this one was 60's.

My buddy did contact Ernie who said to recontact him in 6 months or so to do a resto on the cue. I do not believe he sent Ernie any pics though.

Here's another pic of the buttsleeve engraving, trying to figure out the guy's name, Darryl and the last name, is this Milne?

what about value, any thoughts on what it might be worth?

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Ginacue-Sal-butt4.jpg
    Ginacue-Sal-butt4.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:

midnightmark

Registered
This GINA looks ancient. I would guess one of his earlier piece. Only Ernie would be able to accurately authenticate the vintage.
Needless to say, this is a very simple cue. Just because it's old may not mean it's valuable.
I spoke to Ernie (North Hollywood, CA) about a year ago. You might want to give him a shout out.:
Either way it's a Historic Cue for sure.:)

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best I can help with dating is take her to a nice Thai restaurant. Then drinks and dancing at a Spanish club.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
UPDATE: Spoke with Ernie at Ginacue today. This is one of his very first cues from 1963. :thumbup: When he responded to my email with a phone call the first thing he said was "Hi, this is Ernie; man that thing is old!".

He did not remember the gentleman whose name appears on the cue, he said he didn't remember what he had for breakfast this morning.

The material used for the beige rings and buttcap are a very rare exotic material he called "cue ball". :grin-square: I have heard of cuemakers using cueballs before. He also said the black plastic used was *very* hard and antique at the time it was used. And, oh yeah WW, he actually made the acme style pin himself.

We also spent a couple minutes reminiscing over our mutual friend, Kevin Brewer. Kevin may well have been Ernie's #1 fan - and, of course, his very dear friend.

The cue is heading back to Ernie for an inspection and then a decision on restoring it.

Did I mention how this unrestored nearly 60 year old Gina hits like a freight train? Seriously!

will keep everyone posted on progress.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Wow...Ernie was like 22 years old when he made that cue.
It was also the man in my avatar’s last year on earth.

KC...keep it in this same thread...gotta see the pics if he restores it.

Woof Biscuit

and gravy
Silver Member
Beautiful old cue. There's no way on Earth I would restore it. Vintage should look vintage, but that's my opinion and everybody has one. Haha!

I've seen quite a few restored Bushkas, and I'm like, why didn't you just buy a Tascarella? That's what it looks like now. All fresh and shiny...

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Beautiful old cue. There's no way on Earth I would restore it. Vintage should look vintage, but that's my opinion and everybody has one. Haha!

I've seen quite a few restored Bushkas, and I'm like, why didn't you just buy a Tascarella? That's what it looks like now. All fresh and shiny...

I know just what you're saying, Woof.

Sometimes leaving them alone is the right decision and Ernie even said so. But he added that he really needs the cue in his hands in order to make his recommendation.

Patina never bothered me but in a case like this cue, there has been expansion/contraction issues with the different materials causing uneven-ness and separations. Still, it may be right to leave it alone but ultimately that will be up to my friend and Ernie.

best,
brian kc

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree. Don't restore it. The 'ol car saying " its only original once" rings true here.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
what great piece of cue history
thanks for sharing
:thumbup:

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look forward to seeing/hearing about the outcome, one way or the other.
Great specimen!!!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
another update:

Ernie is doing a mild restoration on the cue. His advice was to change the ferrules and tighten or replace the joint, clean the Cortland wrap and that's about it and the owner agreed so will update the thread when I receive it back from him.

He confirmed that this was one of his first year ('63) cues and, in fact, one of the first approx 10 cues he ever built.

Having hit some balls with it prior to sending out I can confirm that this cue was entirely playable with a very impressive hit and should stay at least that good for quite a while, once Ernie is done.

Stay tuned. :cool:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amazing cue. I am not a collector, so the value of absolutely original is lost on me. For a playing cue, most likely repairs were made along the way. I think you did the right thing by letting Ernie decide. As long as the Cortland is being cleaned and not replaced, I support the refresh. This is a great opportunity to have the work done by the original cuemaker. IMO, pool cues are built for playing pool and they should be kept in condition for doing that.

Thanks for the posts and the update.