Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Rules question - accidental cue ball movement
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-20-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascader View Post
Thanks, this looks like a good answer to the question.

One point of confusion was whether the ball in the kitchen could be shot after the foul was assessed. Since it wasn’t a pocket scratch, just a foul, we assumed it could be.

A one point penalty was assessed, the same as any standard foul.
I would think the ball in the kitchen could not be shot at in this situation. The 1 point foul and the incoming player gets the cue-ball-in-hand in the kitchen I would figure to be the correct ruling. That player would not be allowed to shoot at a ball behind the line just as in any cue-ball-in-hand behind the headstring foul. Of course if the decision is made to replace the cue ball in the spot it was originally at before it was accidentally picked up, then the player could shoot at the object ball behind the headstring.

Old
  (#17)
cascader
AzB Bronze Member
cascader is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

09-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Continuing the saga, same players, again an accidental cue ball pickup during a fun game, CSI 14.1 rules are in use. The oddity was that the cue ball was picked up by accident when the last ball was the only ball on the table, during the racking process, as the players were conversing prior to the re-rack. However the last ball was in the rack area, so it was spotted.

Since we couldn't determine where to replace the cue ball, and it was accidental it was agreed to be a one point foul, and loss of turn, and the incoming player had ball in hand in the kitchen, and the remaining 14 balls were racked.

Since the spotted ball from the rack area was, by definition, on the head string, and by CSI definition the head string is not in the kitchen and balls on the head string are legal to pot from "behind the line", it was determined that the incoming player could play the spotted ball from ball in hand behind the line, allowing a potential break shot with follow.

Reasonable interpretation?

Old
  (#18)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascader View Post
Continuing the saga, same players, again an accidental cue ball pickup during a fun game, CSI 14.1 rules are in use. The oddity was that the cue ball was picked up by accident when the last ball was the only ball on the table, during the racking process, as the players were conversing prior to the re-rack. However the last ball was in the rack area, so it was spotted.

Since we couldn't determine where to replace the cue ball, and it was accidental it was agreed to be a one point foul, and loss of turn, and the incoming player had ball in hand in the kitchen, and the remaining 14 balls were racked.

Since the spotted ball from the rack area was, by definition, on the head string, and by CSI definition the head string is not in the kitchen and balls on the head string are legal to pot from "behind the line", it was determined that the incoming player could play the spotted ball from ball in hand behind the line, allowing a potential break shot with follow.

Reasonable interpretation?
I think it would have been better to put the cue ball back roughly where it was with both players agreeing. Since the OB was spotted, the position of the cue ball probably was not critical. But I think those two players need a special house rule: if you move the balls due to a thinko you have to buy a round for the house but the foul is forgiven. That might get them to pay better attention.

Related to which, I've had helpful passers-by help me during 14.1 practice by rolling the break shot down to me so I could rack all 15 and not forget the last ball.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#19)
ChopStick
Unsane Poster
ChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond reputeChopStick has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Carom Club View Post
i gotta find up a way to make a corner ball on a full rack, happens alot to me that i dont have a shot on the 15th, and i just bet theres a way to make a corner ball
Couple of ways to do it. If you are below the rack the corners go crosside. High english is required. Touch of inside also but varies.

If you are above rack the corners go straight back. Tougher shot in my opinion. I would rather be below shooting the crosside if I had a choice.

I'm headed down to the pool hall. I'll check and see if I told you correctly. Have done both of them in the past.

Yep. High inside for both.

Don't believe everything you think.

Last edited by ChopStick; 09-14-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: