Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Straight Pool Statistics
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
justnum
AzB Silver Member
justnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond reputejustnum has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-30-2019, 07:08 PM

I like balls per inning combined with innings played, it should provide a good indication of when amateurs start to fatigue.

Unlike pros, amateur take a few more innings to complete a rack than the greatest that have ever played.

To help establish areas of improvement for amateurs balls per inning can provide evidence of how well they can plan and carry out a run. Eventually to a fatigue point or a positioning error.

The point of the stats would be to determine what actions/strategies work best against other low level opponents.

As for pro players measuring up against each other to determine the greatest. I'd go with the wins and losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Not me, though I understand why you and many others feel this way and wish you luck in separating them to the extent possible.

At 14.1, the type of innings you get is, to some extent, dictated by the quality of your safety play. The better you play defense, the higher the percentage of your innings will be the kind in which you can make a run.

Winning at straight pool is not only about what you do with your offensive turns, but also how often you create them. If your opponent is creating more chances for a run than you through superior tactical play, they may beat you even if they run fewer balls per offensive inning than you do. A stat like balls run per offensive inning simply doesn't get it done for me.

BPI is, of course, not without its faults, and it does penalize those inclined to play a little more defense than the next guy. Top five ever straight pooler Irving Crane (perhaps below only Greenleaf and Mosconi, and possibly below Sigel and Mizerak), who was inclined to play a little more defense than his contemporaries, typically had a BPI between 7 and 8. I've never seen a published BPI for Greenleaf, but compare this to Mosconi's 15 and Sigel's 13 and you'd be misled into believing that Irving played way below them. Not so!

Truth is, in the end, there's only one real way to measure straight pool performance, and that's win, losses, and titles. Offense and defense are ultimately inseparable.

Old
  (#17)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

07-30-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnum View Post
I like balls per inning combined with innings played, it should provide a good indication of when amateurs start to fatigue.

Unlike pros, amateur take a few more innings to complete a rack than the greatest that have ever played.

To help establish areas of improvement for amateurs balls per inning can provide evidence of how well they can plan and carry out a run. Eventually to a fatigue point or a positioning error.

The point of the stats would be to determine what actions/strategies work best against other low level opponents.

As for pro players measuring up against each other to determine the greatest. I'd go with the wins and losses.

Much truth in your well-reasoned post.

Only one foul recorded
Old
  (#18)
Demondrew
AzB Silver Member
Demondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond reputeDemondrew has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Only one foul recorded - 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnum View Post
Are we writing the standard system for statistics of a 14.1 match?
The discussions leads to,

Does that mean player A had one inning with multiple fouls?
Or is that two separate innings with only Player A having a turn?
In our League we score it as a foul in the first inning with the negative requisite points taken off.

Andy

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: