Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page The "why" of the success of CTE and the coaching of Stan Shuffett
Page 5 of 8 « First 345 67 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The misunderstood pivot in CTE aiming
Old
  (#61)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The misunderstood pivot in CTE aiming - 09-06-2019, 05:03 PM

Stan Shuffett today says............

"Yes, CTE is a pivoting system, but the pivot is very, very misunderstood.
I can shoot 1,000 shots using CTE in slo-mo and never exhibit even one hint of anything that resembles a pivoting of my cue.
Some of the CTE critics are delusional if they think that CTE practitioners can be tagged or not tagged as such by what can be observed about how one uses their cue during alignment.
A cue is nothing more than an extension of one’s hand that is used for aligning to what the eyes see.
CTE is a visual task that occurs independently of the cueing instrument."

"It is almost impossible to free fools from the chains they revere."

Old
  (#62)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

09-07-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie man View Post
And the fact remains, Jose didn't have to use english but did anyway. And lining up with right english and shooting with left, guess what, the cue has to pivot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low500 View Post
Stan Shuffett today says............

"...Some of the CTE critics are delusional if they think that CTE practitioners can be tagged or not tagged as such by what can be observed about how one uses their cue during alignment."
lol

pj
chgo

The profundity is there....believe and receive
Old
  (#63)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

The profundity is there....believe and receive - 09-07-2019, 12:01 PM

The critics will someday be FORCED into accepting this.....or lose to everyone they play. It cannot be stopped....no matter how hard the critics try.

"CTE is a visual task that occurs independently of the cueing instrument."

"It is almost impossible to free fools from the chains they revere."

Old
  (#64)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

09-07-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
The critics will someday be FORCED into accepting this.....or lose to everyone they play.
lol

Still clueless after all these years.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#65)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

09-08-2019, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
lol

pj
chgo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
lol

Still clueless after all these years.

pj
chgo
Way to add to the conversation,lol.

Old
  (#66)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

09-08-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Way to add to the conversation,lol.
This conversation?

Quote:
CTE cultists: "CTE cures cancer - Stan will prove it in his 100th video!"

Me: "lol"

CTE cultists: "Ma! Pat's laughing at us again! Make him stop!"
pj <- oh yeah... lol
chgo

Old
  (#67)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

09-08-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Pi$$ off PJ. I can post how i like. You aren't the forum police
Way to add to the conversation.

Old
  (#68)
cookie man
AzB Silver Member
cookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond reputecookie man has a reputation beyond repute

09-08-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
Way to add to the conversation.
Don't worry, you don't have to take up for PJ. He's a big boy

Old
  (#69)
jokrswylde
AzB Silver Member
jokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond reputejokrswylde has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The critics will someday be FORCED into accepting this.....or lose to everyone they play. It cannot be stopped....no matter how hard the critics try.

"CTE is a visual task that occurs independently of the cueing instrument."
May I ask what speed you play? I assure you I am not being smart and you certainly don't have to answer, but I am genuinely curious. I myself am a solid C player I would imagine... SL-5 in APA 8 ball, have a few break and runs a month during my matches, position play and pattern play leave a lot to be desired. Like many, cue ball control (not ball pocketing), is my biggest weakness.

I lost last night to an SL7. I didn't miss a single ball that I had a realistic chance of making. The few balls I did miss were the result of hooking myself from over running position by a few inches, or by getting a little out of line on successive shots until I eventually could not recover. They guy I was playing missed one makeable shot all night. I lost 6 games to 3 (9 games) and the entire match was I think under 20 innings.

Just curious on your thoughts on how much benefit CTE would be to a guy like me, who doesn't really struggle pocketing balls, but has a big issue seeing where whitey will go and being able to put it where I want it consistently. Thanks in advance.

Old
  (#70)
born2push
AzB Silver Member
born2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokrswylde View Post
May I ask what speed you play? I assure you I am not being smart and you certainly don't have to answer, but I am genuinely curious. I myself am a solid C player I would imagine... SL-5 in APA 8 ball, have a few break and runs a month during my matches, position play and pattern play leave a lot to be desired. Like many, cue ball control (not ball pocketing), is my biggest weakness.

I lost last night to an SL7. I didn't miss a single ball that I had a realistic chance of making. The few balls I did miss were the result of hooking myself from over running position by a few inches, or by getting a little out of line on successive shots until I eventually could not recover. They guy I was playing missed one makeable shot all night. I lost 6 games to 3 (9 games) and the entire match was I think under 20 innings.

Just curious on your thoughts on how much benefit CTE would be to a guy like me, who doesn't really struggle pocketing balls, but has a big issue seeing where whitey will go and being able to put it where I want it consistently. Thanks in advance.
I will wiegh in. The advantage of a solid system like cte or similar is your confidence goes up because once the system is learned, consistancy goes up. Thus you are not focusing so much on pocketing the ball but shift to what you want to do with the cueball. The stroke also improves because you can let the cue go knowing the ball is going in. This unleashes more possibilities of position play.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Old
  (#71)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

09-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2push View Post
I will wiegh in. The advantage of a solid system like cte or similar is your confidence goes up because once the system is learned, consistancy goes up. Thus you are not focusing so much on pocketing the ball but shift to what you want to do with the cueball. The stroke also improves because you can let the cue go knowing the ball is going in. This unleashes more possibilities of position play.

How do you know where the cue ball is going if you don't visualize the ghost ball or the tangent line ?

Old
  (#72)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
How do you know where the cue ball is going if you don't visualize the ghost ball or the tangent line ?
A reasonable question, considering that with some pivot systems it has been said that you don't look straight over your cue/stroke line because your vision is not aligned directly behind the cb. But I would guess after you get your final shot line you would have to pay attention to exactly where the cb is headed so you'll know what you need to do in order to maneuver the it from the current shot to the next shot. Aiming is only part of the process of playing pool, so CTE users would simply have to do what everyone else does -- use other visual methods to determine what to do with the cb, and then tweak your aim (based on experience) in order to compensate for any english applied.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#73)
born2push
AzB Silver Member
born2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond reputeborn2push has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
I think its natural to see the tangent line before you even begin your preshot routine. Thats done as part of shot selection. Knowing and seeing the different shots for position play. Most everyone starts out playing gb. So should be natural. Once thats determined i get my perception for the shot then bend over and execute.

Old
  (#74)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

09-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I think its natural to see the tangent line before you even begin your preshot routine. Thats done as part of shot selection. Knowing and seeing the different shots for position play. Most everyone starts out playing gb. So should be natural. Once thats determined i get my perception for the shot then bend over and execute.

Where and when do you work in the pivot? Do you pivot to the spot on the CB where you will "impart" the necessary jazz on the CB to get your desired poz?

Old
  (#75)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

09-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:

If you see the tangent line standing up, then all you need to do is go down on the center of the cue ball.
You will be dead on if your tangent line is correct.
Why then complicate the whole process ?

Page 5 of 8 « First 345 67 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: