Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 2019 Kremlin Cup 10 ball, Moscow (18-21Sep). Winner $9K
Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
benjaminwah
AzB Silver Member
benjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond reputebenjaminwah has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

09-19-2019, 02:36 PM

So far this has been one of the best streamed easy to access tournaments. The feature mentioned earlier where you can access different matches if they are highlighted in red on the bracket by clicking on the camera icon is awesome .

Old
  (#17)
sjm
Sweating the 2017 Mosconi
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

09-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Nice event.

The Asians are missed, but it's about 5,000 miles travel for the top Asians to get to Moscow, so it's understandable that they wont' travel that far to chase down a maximum payout of under $10,000.

Ö but that said, as Johann is using the Russian events as indicators for Mosconi-Cup worthiness, it is perhaps fitting that the Americans will be competing chiefly against the stars of Europe, especially in the single elimination stage that begins Friday.

I believe the most important matches for Team USA Mosconi consideration are those in which an American hopeful (Styer, Eberle, Deuel, Thorpe) plays against another American hopeful or against a top ten European.

Billy Thorpe's 8-2 win over Alex Kazakis was impressive, and he backed it up by beating Corey Deuel to advance to single elimination. Deuel weakened his case for selection with an 8-4 loss to Fedor Gorst. Styer is undefeated, but has drawn pretty easy so far. Max Eberle's only loss was a double hill loss to Ruslan Chinakhov, one of Europe's premier players, but Max rebounded to reach Stage 2.

Let's see what happens next.

Old
  (#18)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
Nice event.

The Asians are missed, but it's about 5,000 miles travel for the top Asians to get to Moscow, so it's understandable that they wont' travel that far to chase down a maximum payout of under $10,000.

Ö but that said, as Johann is using the Russian events as indicators for Mosconi-Cup worthiness, it is perhaps fitting that the Americans will be competing chiefly against the stars of Europe, especially in the single elimination stage that begins Friday.

I believe the most important matches for Team USA Mosconi consideration are those in which an American hopeful (Styer, Eberle, Deuel, Thorpe) plays against another American hopeful or against a top ten European.

Billy Thorpe's 8-2 win over Alex Kazakis was impressive, and he backed it up by beating Corey Deuel to advance to single elimination. Deuel weakened his case for selection with an 8-4 loss to Fedor Gorst. Styer is undefeated, but has drawn pretty easy so far. Max Eberle's only loss was a double hill loss to Ruslan Chinakhov, one of Europe's premier players, but Max rebounded to reach Stage 2.

Let's see what happens next.
Corey was also down 5 - 2 against Fillers wife Pia when I tuned in. Ended up winning 8 - 6, but not a very impressive showing in that match either. Shame, I always root for Corey, he's one of the most exciting players to watch especially in 8 ball = to Chohans excitement playing 1 pckt.

Old
  (#19)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Corey was also down 5 - 2 against Fillers wife Pia when I tuned in. Ended up winning 8 - 6, but not a very impressive showing in that match either. Shame, I always root for Corey, he's one of the most exciting players to watch especially in 8 ball = to Chohans excitement playing 1 pckt.
Knowing Corey a bit...I suspect he was practising with Pia...trying things out.
....sometimes you get caught.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#20)
ShortBusRuss
Short Bus Russ - C Player
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Knowing Corey a bit...I suspect he was practising with Pia...trying things out.
....sometimes you get caught.
Cool side story.. I was filling in for my club's Oberliga team this weekend in Darmstadt, and as I am playing, I notice a player in the back of the room, maybe 60-70 feet away. I think to myself.. "Man, than guy walks and strokes a lot like Joshua Filler"....

I then notice a blonde girl practicing on the table besides this person, and as she is a little closer, I recognize her as Joshua's gal, having watched a lot of Joshua at DCC in Ray's Action Room. I walk a little closer, and confirm that the player is Joshua Filler. He is on the newly recovered table in the back of the room, practicing drills.

I ask one of the Darmstadt team members if Joshua was living in the area, and they said, "No, he is just training." This didn't make a lot of sense to me, so after I finish my matches, I just sit and watching Josh practicing.. Later, I saw a fellow at the back of the room that had been watching Josh, and another young player, and talked to him. Found out, the fellow was the coach for the German national team, and that Joshua just dropped in to hit a few balls with the national team, before heading to Moscow... :-)

I didn't end up talking with Josh, as I generally don't like to disturb practicing players, but did chat with Pia for about 10 minutes. She confirmed that "money was made" at DCC on the side games, and she thinks that the barbox 8 ball match against Corey was the only matchup Joshua lost while at Derby.

Short Bus Russ

Old
  (#21)
sjm
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post
Cool side story.. I was filling in for my club's Oberliga team this weekend in Darmstadt, and as I am playing, I notice a player in the back of the room, maybe 60-70 feet away. I think to myself.. "Man, than guy walks and strokes a lot like Joshua Filler"....

I then notice a blonde girl practicing on the table besides this person, and as she is a little closer, I recognize her as Joshua's gal, having watched a lot of Joshua at DCC in Ray's Action Room. I walk a little closer, and confirm that the player is Joshua Filler. He is on the newly recovered table in the back of the room, practicing drills.

I ask one of the Darmstadt team members if Joshua was living in the area, and they said, "No, he is just training." This didn't make a lot of sense to me, so after I finish my matches, I just sit and watching Josh practicing.. Later, I saw a fellow at the back of the room that had been watching Josh, and another young player, and talked to him. Found out, the fellow was the coach for the German national team, and that Joshua just dropped in to hit a few balls with the national team, before heading to Moscow... :-)

I didn't end up talking with Josh, as I generally don't like to disturb practicing players, but did chat with Pia for about 10 minutes. She confirmed that "money was made" at DCC on the side games, and she thinks that the barbox 8 ball match against Corey was the only matchup Joshua lost while at Derby.

Short Bus Russ
Great story, Russ. Josh and Pia are a credit to our sport and they have great work ethics. Josh is ALWAYS training.

FYI, at the Derby, Josh Filler also lost a bank pool action game to Shannon Murphy by a score of 10-9, with the match coming down to the last ball of the last rack.

Old
  (#22)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Short Bus Russ
Great story ....they seem like a terrific couple.
...and the pool world better get used to Joshua....heís here to stay.

A measure of his greatness at his young age is that some people are looking for things
thatís wrong with him.....just like what a young Steve Davis went through.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#23)
ShortBusRuss
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

09-19-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Great story, Russ. Josh and Pia are a credit to our sport and they have great work ethics. Josh is ALWAYS training.

FYI, at the Derby, Josh Filler also lost a bank pool action game to Shannon Murphy by a score of 10-9, with the match coming down to the last ball of the last rack.
Yeah... But didn't they match up again for the same amount, and Josh won?

Old
  (#24)
sjm

09-19-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I'll look it up.

Old
  (#25)
sjm

09-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Sorry Russ, I must stand corrected. I only saw the race to 10 Josh played against Murphy, but At Large reported that they matched up again later in the Derby for a five ahead race and Josh won that. Can't say what the bet size was for either match.

Old
  (#26)
ShortBusRuss

09-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry Russ, I must stand corrected. I only saw the race to 10 Josh played against Murphy, but At Large reported that they matched up again later in the Derby for a five ahead race and Josh won that. Can't say what the bet size was for either match.
No worries. Bank Pool is definitely not my favorite gambling game to watch, so I didn't watch much of the two sets, but I do remember there being two, so took Pia at her word about the monetary outcome.

I do kinda wonder about the dynamic of that relationship, and how it developed.. Pia prolly met him sometime shortly before his first big win, the China Open. And then he quickly becomes the best player in the world in a matter of about 2-3 years. I saw him get bounced out of the Leende Eurotour tournament pretty early last year when the Americans were there..... And then he goes to Derby and just murders almost everybody he plays. It's like a bad event result means absolutely nothing to Filler, even with a new wife to support.

She must be pretty good for him, for him to play so well as such a young man, in a relatively challenging monetary environment. Germany ain't cheap.

Old
  (#27)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 03:57 AM

super strong showing by ralf to take down filler

Old
  (#28)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 04:33 AM

Shane and Tyler through to final 8.

Old
  (#29)
sjm

09-20-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:
It's like a bad event result means absolutely nothing to Filler, even with a new wife to support. She must be pretty good for him, for him to play so well as such a young man, in a relatively challenging monetary environment. Germany ain't cheap.
That's the sense I get, too. They seem like the perfect couple, deeply in love and supportive of each other to the max.

Old
  (#30)
skogstokig
AzB Silver Member
skogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond reputeskogstokig has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2019, 06:29 AM

alcaide looking strong, fighting for a mosconi wildcard

Page 2 of 8 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: