Setting A High Run Goal

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am 41 years old.

My birthday is June 24.

My goal is to run my age before my next birthday.

In practice or competition, I do not care which.

I currently claim my hi run as 14.

I will revisit this thread as the year progresses.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I'd like to run my age by my next birthday. Should be doable, I'm not in the aarp yet :p

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
elvicash said:
I am 41 years old.

My birthday is June 24.

My goal is to run my age before my next birthday.

In practice or competition, I do not care which.

I currently claim my hi run as 14.

I will revisit this thread as the year progresses.

DS,
Best of luck (unless of course you are playing me, then we wish you only enough luck to avoid serious personal injury during the game).

P.S. - I'm pretty sure you've run more than 14, we'll have to start paying a bit more attention.

Solartje

the Brunswick BUG bit me
Silver Member
mmm its a good idea.

my personal goal will be:

as im turning 30 in 2 weeks, and my bday present is a diamond 9ft'er that (cross my fingers) will be ready for my bday, ill give myself 1 month to run 30.

should be doable :D

my next goal is to run a century when i'll be 100 :cool:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This idea came to mind when I remembered at the one pocket HOF inductie George Rood was asked when he had last ran his age.

I cannot rember when he exactly said he had done it last but I know the number was in the upper 80's.

BTW: George was 92 year old when inducted and he was still playing.

Congrats to you Mr. George Rood.

I'll let you know when I run my age and then I will aim for running my weight.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
elvicash said:
This idea came to mind when I remembered at the one pocket HOF inductie George Rood was asked when he had last ran his age.

I cannot rember when he exactly said he had done it last but I know the number was in the upper 80's.

BTW: George was 92 year old when inducted and he was still playing....
As I recall the story, he was 88 when he ran 126. George says that his best game was nine ball, but he also played straight pool. He was once spotting a guy 50-no-count going to 100 and had 10 runs of 100 in one day.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^^ Now that's an incredible feat Bob!!!

So,......where's the "Bible of pool" according to Rood?......I'm in for a few copies!:)

Gerry

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying out a pool league playing straight pool.

This is the first league play for me except for once when I was an alternate and played 3 weeks in an 8 ball league.

First week of straight pool league was last night Oct 11 we play on Thursdays.

It is a round robin format and there are 18 players.

There is a wide range of skill level among the players in the league including a few professionals.

Also it is a handicap league everyone goes to 100 but the players start with different counts.

My handicap is 15 so I need 85 to win.

My first round was Jeanette Lee last night.

Her handicap is -130 so she needs 230 to win.

I won the lag.

She beat me 230 to 34.

My hi run was 10.

I did not concentrate/focus well and I played under my normal game.

I am going downstairs to practice now.

I am going to work on pool more and less on reading AZ.

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
elvicash said:
I am trying out a pool league playing straight pool.

This is the first league play for me except for once when I was an alternate and played 3 weeks in an 8 ball league.

First week of straight pool league was last night Oct 11 we play on Thursdays.

It is a round robin format and there are 18 players.

There is a wide range of skill level among the players in the league including a few professionals.

Also it is a handicap league everyone goes to 100 but the players start with different counts.

My handicap is 15 so I need 85 to win.

My first round was Jeanette Lee last night.

Her handicap is -130 so she needs 230 to win.

I won the lag.

She beat me 230 to 34.

My hi run was 10.

I did not concentrate/focus well and I played under my normal game.

I am going downstairs to practice now.

I am going to work on pool more and less on reading AZ.

DS,
Hey man, don't get down. That was a TOUGH DRAW for your first night in the league. She has only lost 3 matches in 2 years in the league (and only 1 was a non-pro).

As you will be reminded (with George Breedlove and Jeff Beckley also in the league), there is more to straight pool than just ball pocketing. JL's skills in safety play, risk reduction, and cluster breaking are world class (and I guess her ball pocketing is adequate too:) ). You will definitely have to play your very best to beat her; but it can be done. The pro's are handicapped a bit more this year, so I do believe they will suffer some losses (hopefully in play against you and me).

P.S. - a bit of unasked for advice (since our handicaps are similar) - against the pro's I play VERY aggressively, trying to generate as many balls as possible each inning, no matter the risk. As you will see, leaving them even 2 balls away from the stack allows them to start a run no matter their starting position. In addition, JL will beat you to the shot in 3 out of every 4 safety situations; so maximize your ball count in any inning you are lucky enough to get a shot.

Against the least proficient players I play as conservatively as possible. They may need only 30 or 40 balls, while you will need 100. Even 2 or 3 careless mistakes may allow them to get 10 or 14 balls in one of their innings; it is best to play as tight as possible from the very first rack - try to never leave the table on a miss, take no risky shots. JMO (but developed over 5 seasons, and has been quite an effective strategy).

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
DS,
Hey man, don't get down. That was a TOUGH DRAW for your first night in the league. She has only lost 3 matches in 2 years in the league (and only 1 was a non-pro).

As you will be reminded (with George Breedlove and Jeff Beckley also in the league), there is more to straight pool than just ball pocketing. JL's skills in safety play, risk reduction, and cluster breaking are world class (and I guess her ball pocketing is adequate too:) ). You will definitely have to play your very best to beat her; but it can be done. The pro's are handicapped a bit more this year, so I do believe they will suffer some losses (hopefully in play against you and me).

And to expound on that, try not to set your goals to high. Your goals have to be realistic, and beating The Black Widow on your first night of league play is not very realistic. She is a world class 14.1 player, Bobby Hunter trained just like John Schmidt. She has also learned from some of the greate players in NYC - so she's eons ahead of many players when it comes to straight pool knowledge.

Many years ago, I entered a tournament and I figured I had a good chance to win. However, when they did the draw, I got stuck in the meat of the bracket - playing the legendary BCA Hall of Famer, Cowboy Jimmy Moore in the first round. There were several other top players in the brackets above and below me. I was pissed off. I turn to Randyg (Goettlicher) and I said... "I drew Cowboy Jimmy Moore in the first round. I've got the worst luck in the world."

Randyg looked at me and smiled and said, "That's not bad luck at all. What a wonderful opportunity to play a legend and to learn."

I never forgot that. Now, when I play a great player, I go in with that attitude. It's not about winning or losing, it's about the lesson. I know guys that have been playing longer than we've been alive and they still don't understand that.

Speaking of lessons, I will be available on the date that we discussed. In that lesson we will cover all of the aspects of the game to include...

Reading the paterns
Dissecting the rack
Breaking up clusters
Manufacturing a break ball
End sequences
Designating a break ball
Designating a key ball
Safeties
Break Shots... break shots... break shots... & break shots...

Bring some Icey Hot... your arm's gonna need it!

Last edited:

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
And to expound on that, try not to set your goals to high. Your goals have to be realistic, and beating The Black Widow on your first night of league play is not very realistic. She is a world class 14.1 player, Bobby Hunter trained just like John Schmidt. She has also learned from some of the greate players in NYC - so she's eons ahead of many players when it comes to straight pool knowledge. !

BJDS,
Just for the record, I can attest that elvicash can definitely pocket balls - he is quite capable of beating JL with the handicap given (but he better play his best).

I also can assure you that JL would be crushed if any report of her 14.1 prowess failed to mention Gene Nagy specifically (I know you mention the NYC players, but Gene was special). He was a true straight pool genius, devoted his life to playing and studying the game, and was generous enough to pass on what he could to JL - I believe she has been quoted numerous times crediting him for her straight pool knowledge, and saying that he was like a father to her.

Having said all of that, I'm extremely jealous of elvicash for getting to hook up for some pool with you. Please note that you have a standing invitation to Betmore's Basement if you are ever travelling through the area (food, lodging, beverages, and pool are free - the price is fair). I'm sure there are many AZB'ers here in Indiana that would like to meet you.

P.S. - Just between you and me, I rate JL's tactical skills well ahead of JS (based ONLY on the Schmidt-Pagulayan matchup that I witnessed; I have seen JL play hundreds of hours of straight pool). I rate JS's ball pocketing skills well ahead of JL - it would be a dream match.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
BJDS,
Just for the record, I can attest that elvicash can definitely pocket balls - he is quite capable of beating JL with the handicap given (but he better play his best).

I also can assure you that JL would be crushed if any report of her 14.1 prowess failed to mention Gene Nagy specifically (I know you mention the NYC players, but Gene was special). He was a true straight pool genius, devoted his life to playing and studying the game, and was generous enough to pass on what he could to JL - I believe she has been quoted numerous times crediting him for her straight pool knowledge, and saying that he was like a father to her.

Having said all of that, I'm extremely jealous of elvicash for getting to hook up for some pool with you. Please note that you have a standing invitation to Betmore's Basement if you are ever travelling through the area (food, lodging, beverages, and pool are free - the price is fair). I'm sure there are many AZB'ers here in Indiana that would like to meet you.

P.S. - Just between you and me, I rate JL's tactical skills well ahead of JS (based ONLY on the Schmidt-Pagulayan matchup that I witnessed; I have seen JL play hundreds of hours of straight pool). I rate JS's ball pocketing skills well ahead of JL - it would be a dream match.

Willie

Shoot me for not mentioning Gene Nagy! :eek: (oops)

I am looking forward to having Dana down here for some 14.1 instruction. i hope he enjoys it and learns some new tricks to take back home to beat all of you...

as far as getting to the basement... it might happen. Now that Tommy Kennedy has moved back up to Indiana, I might be up there in the area. I gotta keep that Kennedy guy in line, he's a lot of trouble, you know?

Last edited:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack I look forward to working with you. BTW the WBM offer is a good one he has a nice setup and of course I would like some of your time as well if you do make it up this way.

WBM - I am not down at all. Kudos to JL she is a true champion and she showed it last night. She is a class act on and off of the table.

I was just stating what happened as much to challenge myself as anything. I am not in the least bit frustated however I did not play well at all and will work to do better. I definitley need to do more work on my game.

I played some this AM before coming into work and I will be playing quite a bit more in the upcoming weeks. I am glad I am in the league and just want to improve some in the next 17 weeks.

I will be looking for instruction (Blackjack and others) so I know how to approach the game. As I gain and develop this understanding of the game I will be able to play and express myself in the game.

I have yet to feel as if I am really playing the game when playing 14.1.

However I have seen glimpses and know it is coming.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2nd week in the league. I played a good player with a similiar handicap to mine. He has a lot more experience than I have in the league. Today I started at 5 and he was on 0 we were both going to 100.

I won the match and I played OK. I know he did not play his normal game. The score is immaterial. I did have a few runs but nothing great but I do have a new hi run, this one was between 2 partial racks. Throughout the night I kept getting out of line at the end of a rack but if felt like I was going to get it going.

My runs were
4-8's, 2-9's, 1-11 and an 18 (6 and then 12 from the break)

Good Items
-----------------------------
I made the balls today when I was hitting the rack or breaking up clusters.

I made a mental note multiple times to lower my shooting hand and get the cue level.

I stayed in the middle of the CB unless I needed left or right. I minimized hi and low. I still had decent cue ball action.

I started out missing and to overcome that I focused on stroking with mostly forearm and little wrist unless I needed action. Hammer type strokes with forearm based follow thru, I stayed down fairly well.

I used the crutch on perhaps 7 or 8 shots I think I only missed one ball with the crutch. In the past I would stretch, dog it and give up the inning.

I played safe a few times quite well, however 3 or 4 times I went for low percentage shots and gave up the inning. These were shots I knew I could make but was not convinced they were the right shot however I would not hesitate to shoot them when playing 9 ball but since I do not feel they are the right straight pool shot, that doubt brings out the dog in my arm. As I continue to play I will improve my game and a part of that will bewhen going for balls, unless I like the shot and feel I am going to make it then I need to keep looking for a different shot.

I need to remember that I can and do make tough shots when I feel the shot and if I do not feel it I will pick a different shot. I will have start to looking at percentages as I play especially when starting an inning and when I get out of line.

Problem Items
---------------------------------------
My main problem today was getting distracted by outside forces, listening to other conversations multiple times causing me to loose focus and ultimately missing balls.

When this happens in the future and I know I am in that loosing focus. I will stand up re-plan my shot and get back into my shot sequence and execute a good stroke. The balls will roll as they roll but I will give myself fully to the shot. I will focus my concentration and not share it between my match and anything else. Paying attention to anything other than my game will only diminish my returns.

Wrap up
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am glad to be playing in this league, it is something to look forward to and it gives me a reason to focus and try to improve. I know I can play a lot better than I did tonight. I am starting to understand more of the straight pool game.

League score 1 win - 1 loss

My current claim to a hi run before my 42nd birthday (6/24/08) is 18.

Goal - I will run my age.

Statement - I will run my age!

Last edited:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This thread is turning into my blog.

I have not played as much 14.1 as I should have in the last week or so. But i have been playing some pool.

I did not get to play in the league due to work scheduling issues. I played one game this week we went to 100. I played local player who is mostly a 9 ball player and I got smoked 100-51. I could not get anything going.

I played in a 9 ball tournament on Saturday and went 2 and out.

I had a less from Scott Lee on Sunday. I learned I had quite few good things going in my game stance, basic bridge and stroke motion. I also had a few bad things which I will be working on addressing in the next few weeks. A major flaw was holding the cue quite a bit past perpindicular at address and not being as level as I could be at address.

I know both of these are important, but I had not seen myself shoot so I did not know I had these problems. Video is a great training tool and I try to video myself some as I work to improve.

Scott is a great teacher and I will work through his process and look for some serious improvemnts in December. It will take me 3 weeks or so to change my game using some his training methods and training drills.

I will let you know how it goes.

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
nice blog :)

it's interesting I think. I also set a high run goal for myself this year, but may have been too lofty. My current high is 38 and I want to to 50 by years end. My game has been faltering a bit lately because I'm coming back to basics to "unlearn" some bad habits of mine.

good luck on your quest.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Elvicash

Don't worry too much about the numbers. Concentrate on patterns, identifying your setup ball/key ball/break ball - and work on your break shots. Many players will frustrate themselves because they don't understand the patterns, or because they hit the break shots with draw when they should hit them with follow.

Being a great straight pool player is more than just running high numbers.

Here is an excerpt from something I have posted several times on this forum... print it out and tack on your wall, keep a copy of it in your cue case - its really good advice I have gotten over the years pertaining to this game.

Straight Pool Advice I Have Recieved Over The Years

You have a choice of what to do when you are in the chair.

a) You can beat yourself up or feel sorry for yourself
b) You can take notes and learn

I had the opportunity to learn from Cisero Murphy, Steve Mizerak, John Ervolino, Jack Colavita, and Pete Margo. A lot of it was done by merely observing how they dealt with different clusters or how they played a certain sequence of shots.

Here are some priceless pearls of wisdom that I received from many great players over the past 30 years.

Cowboy Jimmy Moore
14.1 is NOT just about big runs - its about playing smart. If you don't have the big run, don't try to force it. The big run won't always be there, and every run has its end. It is much easier to execute an effective safety with 10 - 13 balls on the table than it is with 2 or 3. If you can get to the table and run 20-25 balls, lock him down and get back up and run 25 more and lock him up again, its just as effective as a big run of 50.

Jimmy Caras
Don't get lost. Many players just go for the open shot with little or no thought about what they are doing and then they end up paying for it when trying to set up the break shot. Plan ahead for the end of the rack when you have the opportunity, and if you don't, be smarter than the situation.

Steve Mizerak
The balls know when your confident and when you aren't. When you have a tough shot and you stare down at the ball, don't allow it to win the stare down. The point is that either you can control the balls, or the balls can control you.

Cisero Murphy
Cisero used to always tell me "Neat in, neat out" and it related to break shots, clusters, and moving the cue ball. Cisero taught me to recognize a player's skill by how smoothly he moves the balls around. 14.1 is not a game that can be mastered with sloppy form, sloppy break outs, or sloppy patterns. Letting go of the cue ball in 14.1 is the absolute worst thing you can ever do. 14.1 is not 9 ball, and 2, 3, and 4 rail position to get on any shot means you lost control somewhere or made a bad choice.

Willie Mosconi
In 14.1 - the better player doesn't always win, but the smartest players always does! Play smart, and take nothing for granted, no matter how easy or routine any shot is. Lapses in concentration or getting careless create opportunities for your opponent.

Take pride in how you shoot the balls. I have always said that when Willie hit a ball, it was like the balls moved differently for him - like the knew who he was and out of respect for who he was they followed his direction. Willie always had command of the table, and he took pride in his work.

Hal Mix
Prepare and then execute. There is nothing worse than being lost with just 3 balls on the table. A lot of players think that 14.1 is a game where you have the freedom to just keep hitting any ball that you want into the pockets. There is more to it than that. A lot of players end their run because they shoot the wrong ball at the wrong time and eventually it catches up to them. Pay attention to sequences - that is why I love any 14.1 accu-stat tapes that have Grady Matthews calling the action. Grady always sees the correct sequence and that is due to a trained eye from years of experience playing the game.

Lou Butera
Stick with what works. This means setting up for a break shot that you are familiar with. You won't always have the same break ball every time, however you should stick with what works for you the best.

Gene Nagy
Watch what the balls do. Recklessly slamming the cue ball into the rack achieves absolutely nothing. Practice your break shots, especially your secondary break shots, and watch what the balls do. Different speeds of stroke will achieve different results. Learn how to work in small sections of the table. Get the balls open and then get behind them. Splattering the balls all across the table can eliminate your chances of leaving a ball close to the stack. Plan your break shots and your sequences to where you get above the rack, not under it.

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have not posted for a while.

I took a lesson from Scott Lee and worked on training myself to use his SPF methods. I have had alot of family issues come up taking me away from pool in the last 5 weeks but now I am back in the saddle.

Tonight I played another league match. I lost 81-100 but I really played well for short periods of time. I ducked and played safe pretty well.

Where my biggest problem was dogging balls specifically long shots into corner pockets. Just flat out jarred 7 or 8 shots that made significant turnaround in the innings. Alot of this was due to me loosing focus and being aware of conversations in the background while I was shooting. Thinking about Barak Obama does not help me pocket the eleven in the corner.

I need to work on focusing my attention.

I need to continue to work on my safety play.

I need to get up when I am not feeling it when I am down on the CB.

I need an iPod to help me tune out poolroom conversations. Maybe that will be my Christmas present to myself.