I hope I die before........

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
.........this current semi-trend to bring back the 5'x10' tables becomes commonplace in poolhalls all across the country. At my age the nine-footers can be a challenge on a bad night. I cannot imagine myself trying to acclimate my game to a 10' long table with my eyesight. Best we leave the 10-footers in the professional tournament venues. I have no problems with any hall having at least one, I'm just hoping we don't see the halls eventually having more 10-footers than eight or nine-footers. I don't really think this will ever happen (at least in my lifetime), but the thought of it sends chills up my spine!!!

Tell me, has anyone played on a 10-footer lately, and what was that like???

Maniac

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not lately, but I played on the 10' table SVB and Earl played on in the hall it came from and I felt like I was 7 years old again. It was too big for my game.

Grilled Cheese

p.i.i.t.h.
Silver Member
Don't worry about it. With the condition that pool is in now, rooms are in no hurry or position to dump their 9 footers for 10's. If anything, I can see a trend in tables smaller. 10's take up a lot more space, and rooms are cramped for space as is with high costs per square for rent.

I never liked playing on anything but a 9'. But the 7' Diamonds are decent. That's about it

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
.........this current semi-trend to bring back the 5'x10' tables becomes commonplace in poolhalls all across the country. At my age the nine-footers can be a challenge on a bad night. I cannot imagine myself trying to acclimate my game to a 10' long table with my eyesight. Best we leave the 10-footers in the professional tournament venues. I have no problems with any hall having at least one, I'm just hoping we don't see the halls eventually having more 10-footers than eight or nine-footers. I don't really think this will ever happen (at least in my lifetime), but the thought of it sends chills up my spine!!!

Tell me, has anyone played on a 10-footer lately, and what was that like???

Maniac

I played on a 12x6 snooker table recently (had breaks [runs] of 68 and 84), and I loved it. Would you rather a 12' with even tighter pockets than a 10' with regular pockets? ;)

I would have to disagree with you, though, that there's a "trend" to bring back the 10x5 pool tables "in poolhalls around the country." If anything, a few select rooms will want to have one -- just one -- to have challenge matches, special events, and perhaps the finals of tournament stops or something along those lines. And yes, they'd be available to customers for the asking. But to integrate them into the regular "pool" of tables for generic use -- as in league play, etc.? I don't think so.

I think if anything, 1.) these 10x5 tables will be very region-specific (e.g. the Northeast US, where these tables were once "king" -- most places here are sick of the trend to barboxes, and 2.) would be reserved for special purposes. They would not be integrated into the general "pool" of tables used for regular business, unless a customer specifically asks for them. Personally, I think if several rooms in an area had a (just one) "Big Bertha" for special use, it would be a great thing. For one thing, it's a real rest of skill -- for all games. The only downside is that for every 10x5 table a room has, you probably lose the ability to host approximately two 9-footers in that space. Or four barboxes.

I tend to agree that while the downward trend to barboxes is not a good thing, the Diamond SmartTables at least play well and *properly* (i.e. no mushy cushions that "sponge in" balls even badly-hit towards the pocket, like the Valley tables with stock cushions do).

Conclusion? A single "Big Bertha" in your neighborhood pool room isn't going to hurt. And it may attract some special events -- e.g. challenge matches or what-not, or perhaps even a pro wanting a good place to practice while in your area. That's always a good thing, rather than having a league stranglehold on a poolroom, fearful of anything but league-standard equipment infiltrating their turf.

-Sean

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Don't worry about it. With the condition that pool is in now, rooms are in no hurry or position to dump their 9 footers for 10's. If anything, I can see a trend in tables smaller. 10's take up a lot more space, and rooms are cramped for space as is with high costs per square for rent.

I never liked playing on anything but a 9'. But the 7' Diamonds are decent. That's about it

I agree, you won't have to worry about it for the reasons mentioned above. However, I would propose that we switch from the traditional rectangular pool table to a circular one with a 10' radius. The logic behind this is obvious. Pros have the 9' rectangular box figured out and it is a bore to watch them run rack after rack on this passe playing surface. Let them figure out the break and the angles on the "Big Circle" and I think you would have the future of pool....

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually enjoy the bigger tables more, but if we want the pool business to flourish, the bar box has to be the table size of choice. With the 7 ft table, you can put more tables in a set amount of space, thus more players...and more beverage sales (profit for owner). If you poll all the pool players in the USA, you will find that the highest population plays on 7 ft tables. From a business sense, it's the logical choice.
Check out the TAR interview with Oscar Dominguez.
http://youtu.be/yt9bRZNfRds

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope I die after every pool room goes to 5 x 10 tables. That will guarantee a long life.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I grew up playing on 5' x 10' tables, and I've missed them ever since that pool room closed. I wish I had a place to play on one, or could afford to own one.

FastManners

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on a 12x6 snooker table recently (had breaks [runs] of 68 and 84), and I loved it. Would you rather a 12' with even tighter pockets than a 10' with regular pockets? ;)

-Sean

Nice! They are extremely impressive breaks. Have you made a century before?

I have just started playing snooker again after a 6 year absence (basically since i moved to the US) and I am making consistent 40's and 50's, but I tend to make a school boy error just when i look set to make a century. Most irksome, especially as I have never made one before and it is one of my main ambitions to do so.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I would have to disagree with you, though, that there's a "trend" to bring back the 10x5 pool tables "in poolhalls around the country."
-Sean

I agree with your "disagreeing", Sean. I was a bit out in left field with that part of my thread. My personal feeling is that there are many "old school" players out there that had rather see them come back as to what will probably ever materialize in the poolhalls. I worded it poorly.

Maniac

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice! They are extremely impressive breaks. Have you made a century before?

I have just started playing snooker again after a 6 year absence (basically since i moved to the US) and I am making consistent 40's and 50's, but I tend to make a school boy error just when i look set to make a century. Most irksome, especially as I have never made one before and it is one of my main ambitions to do so.

Thanks! Yes, my high break on a 12x6 is 139, and I've two additional centuries (102, 109) as well, albeit all of those were several years ago when I was playing more. I love snooker, but I have to travel to Queens, NY (The Carom Cafe) to have access to a 12x6 table. That's quite a haul for me (about a 2 hour drive, into NYC traffic -- yuck!). Would love to find a place with a 12x6 to practice the game more.

-Sean

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with your "disagreeing", Sean. I was a bit out in left field with that part of my thread. My personal feeling is that there are many "old school" players out there that had rather see them come back as to what will probably ever materialize in the poolhalls. I worded it poorly.

Maniac

No problem, bud. I see a lot of resistance to 10x5s on these boards, and the "hysteria" (if we want to call it that) against these tables almost seems to make one believe they are sweeping the country. They aren't, as we know. But do I think having a single Big Bertha in a local room is a good thing? I sure do. In fact, I think it should go on record where/what rooms have these tables, and a central database created that allows one to look them up.

Perhaps a new database record added to http://playpool.com/ or something, that shows for each place, what kind of tables they have? (Just thinking aloud.)

-Sean

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm a novice player, and no kid either. But I'd love to have one of those big tables to play on. I would really enjoy the challenge! Of course, all I know are 9-footers, so it wouldn't be as big a change for me as it would be for some....

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem, bud. I see a lot of resistance to 10x5s on these boards, and the "hysteria" (if we want to call it that) against these tables almost seems to make one believe they are sweeping the country. They aren't, as we know. But do I think having a single Big Bertha in a local room is a good thing? I sure do. In fact, I think it should go on record where/what rooms have these tables, and a central database created that allows one to look them up.

Perhaps a new database record added to http://playpool.com/ or something, that shows for each place, what kind of tables they have? (Just thinking aloud.)

-Sean

There is this thread that might be of some use to you. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=146859

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
There is this thread that might be of some use to you. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=146859

Well, this is great for snooker tables (e.g. whether those tables are 10x5 or 12x6), but not for pool tables. There's a HUGE difference between 10x5 snooker tables, and GENUINE 10x5 pool tables (i.e. not "converted" snooker tables).

Anyway, this is a good thought, and this idea might be extended to both playpool.com and findsnooker.com. I'll take this offline and contact the admins of both sites to ask for a CR (change request).

-Sean

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I don't think there is a chance in hell pool rooms are going to go towards 5x10 tables.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think there is a chance in hell pool rooms are going to go towards 5x10 tables.

i agree, no chance in hell. here in Texas we can't even get away from the 8 ft tables let alone going to 10 footers. The infatuation with the 8 footers remains a total mystery to me!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
i agree, no chance in hell. here in Texas we can't even get away from the 8 ft tables let alone going to 10 footers. The infatuation with the 8 footers remains a total mystery to me!

"All things are bigger in Texas -- including barboxes!" :D

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think that any table manufactrer that bets on the reemergence of the ten footer will be making a major error.