post/view old school pool "atmosphere" vids here

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
saw this one posted at onepocket.org, and thought it's worth sharing here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbIgMzAXaU0

this kinda stuff is fun to see
if you know of any vids like this, not just of folks playing, but vids (or pics)
that show the vibe of what pool was like in days gone by
please feel free to add on-

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
My dad was already bought out of the business by then (1980) and left for Florida when this was made. It shows Sonny Gagliardo as the owner, which I'm assuming he is the brother of one of the other original partners, Race Track Phil. Freddy the Beard must have sold by then too. I"m not sure exactly when he sold his share.

I worked nearby and still stopped in to chat and play some pool. But, I left for college in 1983, so I'd have to say after 83 as they changed the tables.

They did not have Gold Crowns, they had antique Brunswick tables prior. Funny seeing all the GC's in there. The antique tables were all refinished and gorgeous. Not really sure why they changed them out, but I probably because they were worth some cash ;) Some of those antique tables wound up at Chris'. You can't miss them.

So, best guess, 1985, give or take a year to two. I never saw the place again once at school. Stayed in touch with Freddy till his passing. And Artie, I speak to every few years as most folks know he's still in Vegas where he figured out how to "beat Vegas" and Vegas was not amused. ;) lol

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad was already bought out of the business by then (1980) and left for Florida when this was made. It shows Sonny Gagliardo as the owner, which I'm assuming he is the brother of one of the other original partners, Race Track Phil. Freddy the Beard must have sold by then too. I"m not sure exactly when he sold his share.

I worked nearby and still stopped in to chat and play some pool. But, I left for college in 1983, so I'd have to say after 83 as they changed the tables.

They did not have Gold Crowns, they had antique Brunswick tables prior. Funny seeing all the GC's in there. The antique tables were all refinished and gorgeous. Not really sure why they changed them out, but I probably because they were worth some cash ;) Some of those antique tables wound up at Chris'. You can't miss them.

So, best guess, 1985, give or take a year to two. I never saw the place again once at school. Stayed in touch with Freddy till his passing. And Artie, I speak to every few years as most folks know he's still in Vegas where he figured out how to "beat Vegas" and Vegas was not amused. ;) lol

thanks rj, good stuff

I was there watching that 3C tourney in 1998 (don't see myself in the vid). Semih Sayginer set the US tournament high run record there (20!).

pj
chgo

P.S. The guy in the cool vest is Bill Smith, known around here as mr3cushion.

really cool pat..according to the forums, bill smith had a birthday (75!) just yesterday

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
really cool pat..according to the forums, bill smith had a birthday (75!) just yesterday
Chris’s was my home room back then. The guy doing the filming (and talking) is my old friend, Deno Andrews, an accomplished 3C player himself. He’s a member here too (Deno J. Andrews), although he hasn’t posted (and I haven’t seen him) for years - we were both active on RSB then.

Oh, and I think I did see the back of my head briefly...

pj
chgo

targuy

Registered
Does anybody remember the pool player’s name in video who just beat 3-cushion player in cool looking vest, Billy Smith, in the 3-cushion match? I know him, but can’t place his name. It’s the guy Smith shook hands with right after his defeat. He had a nice one pocket game.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Does anybody remember the pool player’s name in video who just beat 3-cushion player in cool looking vest, Billy Smith, in the 3-cushion match? I know him, but can’t place his name. It’s the guy Smith shook hands with right after his defeat. He had a nice one pocket game.
Just a brief glimpse, but it looked like Marco Marquez to me...

pj
chgo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris’s was my home room back then. The guy doing the filming (and talking) is my old friend, Deno Andrews, an accomplished 3C player himself. He’s a member here too (Deno J. Andrews), although he hasn’t posted (and I haven’t seen him) for years - we were both active on RSB then.

Oh, and I think I did see the back of my head briefly...

pj
chgo

righteous pat
I missed the rsb boat by a few waves
but when I google pool stuff
rsb links often pop up
looks like it was a neat scene..roots

hey, did you see yourself before the massé shot?
...y'know, so we could say you were "a head" of the curve- ?

:eek:uttahere: