any pros use <58" cue?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind playing off the wall
but I like the idea of finding/dialing in specs that I feel "fit me"
it's fun and even tho I'm some novice, I enjoy digging into little pool sciences
I'm still playing with shapes and sizes, balance
length-wise tho, I'm digging the way a shorter cue feels
when I can hit the table again, I even got a 56" to try
anyway- was just curious if there were any sightings in the pool "mainstream"

how we got to 58" from 57" is intriguing tho- will have to dig into that, too ^_^
IIRC Balabushka was one of the first to play around with 58" cues. When i started playing in '78 most were already 58".

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve got a 57” JW that I liked when I got it, but I ordered a 59” in 2006 from Randy Mobley and haven’t picked up the Joss West once since. It’s just too short now. What you like is what you like. Hopefully you like what you have.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IIRC Balabushka was one of the first to play around with 58" cues. When i started playing in '78 most were already 58".

interesting
here's a few things I found to add on:

"Up until somewhere in the 1960's, pool cues were 57". But overall, players were shorter back then. Standard length evolved to 58" and cue makers went to work on making them perform well. 58" is still the standard today, but we have lots of tall players now."

https://www.pooldawg.com/article/po... somewhere in the,on making them perform well.

I think the transition to 58" cues began with Jan Janes and Joss Cues.

For the first few years we were in business together Dan and I made all custom cues. Most were 57" but Dan played with a 58" cue and so did Buddy Dennis and a few other players on the East Coast.

When we split up Dan started to make limited production runs of the same model cue. He settled on a length of 58".

This was before Viking or McDermott.

I continued to make whatever the customer wanted but eventually started playing with a 58" cue.

Bill S.

(r.i.p.)

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=402621

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think balance is one of the key specs.

definitely-

The main rule for me the cue should allow me to make a grip depending on the shot and having follow through effortless without too much work.
It simply depends on the height and wingspan i.e. that is individual like it goes to the stance.

agree..I grew the other way, so a shortie for a shortie? :grin:

Hopefully you like what you have.

hopefully- but if not, change it! sounds like you can relate..