where to aim to make cb travel/hit as many rails as possible?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Couldn’t figure out how to load an image from my iPad so will describe a shot starting with check side into the first rail. Starting near the middle of an end rail aim at the second diamond up on the immediate side rail (with check side remember). The ball travels across to the adjacent long side rail where the applied english becomes running side into the opposite end rail. From there to the opposite far side rail and back across table to the remaining side rail and then the last end rail. Hope the description doesn’t suck.
Good one - or two, depending on how it hits the last two rails...

pj
chgo

all 6 rails.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Starting near the middle of an end rail aim at the second diamond up on the immediate side rail (with check side remember). The ball travels across to the adjacent long side rail where the applied english becomes running side into the opposite end rail. From there to the opposite far side rail and back across table to the remaining side rail and then the last end rail. ...
Like the image below?

This is a shot from the official program of Artistic Billiards (carom) so it is without those pesky bank-interrupters, pockets. Here is a drawing from the book "Artistic Billiards".

CropperCapture[626].png

(The numbers around the rails are part of the position specification system for the competition. You can see little tick marks for the position of the cue ball which correspond to something like A-3.5-12. This allows the placement of the balls with half-ball resolution and an additional mechanism allows placement of the balls near each other with higher resolution. The value of 4 indicates the shot is the easiest level in the competition.)

Last edited:

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Starting more mid end rail with check brings the second cushion in play farther from the corner. That flattens the angle from rail 3 to 4. The angle cross table then makes the 5th rail the long rail and the end rail the 6th. I suspect the artistic shot used follow lengthening the angle into the second rail. Thanks for the diagram. It gives a good reference to work from.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PJ thanks. The diagrams are appreciated. The first more accurately depicts my vision. The original line from the center diamond to the second diamond is a little longer making the final contact the end rail.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a little off-topic but while we're on the subject of Mike Massey, does anyone remember a shot where he drew the cue ball 6 rails? The cb and ob were frozen to the bottom rail, about a diamond apart. I'm pretty sure it was 6 rails. I saw him shoot it a few times in exhibitions, so when he came to town, I asked him to shoot the shot for me. He borrowed my cue and hit it so hard the tip flew off of my cue --- and the ball did travel all around the table. Somehow I remember it being 6 rails. I remember thinking that seeing him shoot that was worth the price of a new tip.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is a little off-topic but while we're on the subject of Mike Massey, does anyone remember a shot where he drew the cue ball 6 rails? The cb and ob were frozen to the bottom rail, about a diamond apart. I'm pretty sure it was 6 rails. I saw him shoot it a few times in exhibitions, so when he came to town, I asked him to shoot the shot for me. He borrowed my cue and hit it so hard the tip flew off of my cue --- and the ball did travel all around the table. Somehow I remember it being 6 rails. I remember thinking that seeing him shoot that was worth the price of a new tip.
The shot is six cushions only if you count the end rail the cue ball is frozen to which he shoots into. After the hit on the cue ball, the shot is a standard corner-five pattern shot that might come in short or long to total six cushions. I have never seen him come close spinning out of the corner to hit long rail where he got his fourth cushion.