Wendell Weir past away 5/2/2020

carlswan

Registered
Wendell Weir aka Shane, his hustling name; went to the Pool God in the Sky Sunday night. He was a very close friend of mine along with many others in the Chicago area. He will be greatly missed.
He learned to shoot straight pool around New York City in the early 1960s. His high run was 384 balls. He made his living as a true hustler around NY and Baltimore. He went to Johnson City and took all Steve Cook's cash from him after he won all around, about $25,000 I heard. Played at Chris' Pool Hall in Chicago in the early 1970s, where he won 12 straight weekly tournaments. His picture is still on the wall at Chris'. He was on a pool league with me and a group of guys and we won every league we were on at Main Street Billiards in Algonquin, Illinois in the early 2000s. One story that I heard was Mexican Johnny in about 1970 refused to match up with him. Wendell had a lot of stories and I am not sure that all were real. I, unfortunately, did not know him in his prime, but those that did said he was a real player.
Bless you, my friend, I will miss you. Carl Swanson

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wendell Weir aka Shane, his hustling name; went to the Pool God in the Sky Sunday night. He was a very close friend of mine along with many others in the Chicago area. He will be greatly missed.
He learned to shoot straight pool around New York City in the early 1960s. His high run was 384 balls. He made his living as a true hustler around NY and Baltimore. He went to Johnson City and took all Steve Cook's cash from him after he won all around, about $25,000 I heard. Played at Chris' Pool Hall in Chicago in the early 1970s, where he won 12 straight weekly tournaments. His picture is still on the wall at Chris'. He was on a pool league with me and a group of guys and we won every league we were on at Main Street Billiards in Algonquin, Illinois in the early 2000s. One story that I heard was Mexican Johnny in about 1970 refused to match up with him. Wendell had a lot of stories and I am not sure that all were real. I, unfortunately, did not know him in his prime, but those that did said he was a real player.

I'm sorry to hear your friend passed.
Wish I had gotten to meet him.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

hi carl
many condolences for the loss of your friend
sounds like he was quite a person and player
thanks for letting us know about him
may he rest in peace~

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Carl,
Very sorry to hear of the passing of your good friend Wendell Weir.
It is apparent by your words that you were close to him, and I am sorry for your loss..
Wendell Weir was widely respected in billiard circles for many years, and in addition
to his skills on the table, influenced the development of some strong players like
Mark Jarvis, and others.
Thanks for sharing the tragic news.

Will Prout

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
384 for a high run?, the man had a serious game, Sorry
to hear about your loss and sharing as it gives a good
picture of Mr. Weir, may he RIP,

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wendell was low key and knew how to get the money. He never clamored for the spotlight, just wanted the dough. RIP Wendell

carlswan

Registered
Wendell weir rip

Thanks for all your words of respect and condolences. Mark Jarvis drove 3 hours from Indiana to meet with friends and family after the funeral yesterday. Thank you Mark!. For those that didn't know Wendell, he just lost his son, Ricky one month to the day of his funeral. Maribeth, his wife is devastated.

Mikjary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wendell was a class act. Always friendly whenever I saw him. RIP my friend!

Best,
Mike

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I met him but never had the pleasure of seeing him play. Condolences to his family and friends.