Jensen Cues???

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have owned several Jensen cues in past and all of them have played damn good. My question is....why do Jensen cues don't hold their value in the secondary market?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have owned several Jensen cues in past and all of them have played damn good. My question is....why do Jensen cues don't hold their value in the secondary market?

A lot of good cue builders without a reputation or "name". Basically you have a hand built cue by an unknown maker when most people look at a cue and have never heard of the maker. Not fair at all considering the quality of many of the cues but then again many cues by unknown makers are junk too so people are shy to gamble big bucks on a cue they don't know. The outside of a finished cue and the hit leave a lot of the story out.

Jensen is a nice cue, I do see them pretty regularly around here.

Hu

ridewiththewind

♥ Hippie Hustler ♥
Silver Member
Sadly, there are quite a few very excellent builders whose cues have a following for being consistent players....that simply do not command the prices that perhaps they should on the secondary. Unless it's Top Tier builder, or a heavily hyped builder (whether truly justified or not)...the money typically is just not gonna be there on a re-sale.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I shoot with a Josey. Not considered one of the "top tier" makers. So, it probably doesn't have a good resale. But I've finally figured out that I don't care about resale, since I'm so happy with it's play, I don't plan on selling it.

Searching for the "magic cue" is a pretty frustrating exercise, in my opinion. Find one that you like, such as you & your Jensen, and hang on to it. You'll be a lot of money ahead, and your game will improve because you spend the money on table time instead of cue shopping.

After all, the guy many here think is the top USA player shoots with a cuetec and wears a glove on his bridge hand. "Everybody" knows only dorks play with an outfit like that, right? ;)

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
I could be way off base on this, but in the past when I was looking for a Jensen to add to my collection, I was told by someone that had owned and resold many Jensens that it was rare to get a Jensen in the under 19.5 oz and 19 oz was pretty much non-existent. He stated that Mike Johnson intentionally made his cues in the 19.5 and up range because he thought that was the correct weight range they needed to be. I have looked at a lot of Jensens in the past and found that most of them listed at close to 19.5 or heavier, so I took this to be book and quit looking for one. They hit and play great and back when I was in the market, would have added one or more to my collction had I found one in the 18.5-19.0 oz range. Just never found one.

Only for that reason did I quit looking. Today, my financial picture is way upside from what it was in the 90s and early 2000s when I was vaidly collecting, so I can't afford $1000 cues, but if I could and a Jensen came along that I liked at the right weight... I would snap it up.

I have owned many nice cues that I felt the same way about back then. Today I see most of them going for double what i paid for them and I seriously regret ever selling any of them. Klein ( first year cues) , Mottey, Bob Runde, Omen (1st ivory jointed amboynas poiinted in gaboon Pete Ohman made.), Mobley (4 point I ended up giving away for $350 because no one had seriously heard of him except for people in Florida and some others around the world.), this list goes on...

So I guess if I had owned a Jensen back then and sold it cheap like I did a lot of them, today Jensens would be fetching serious attention and big bucks.....Not because I owned one .. just that is the way my luck runs... goes up and becomes way more popular and valuable after I sold mine on the cheap.

Last edited:

Hitman915

Great Cues

Jensen Cues are a well made cue built to last and meet the demands of any player. The weight issue is of no concern because Mike Johnson builds them to order. As for the weight of cues found 19.5 or heavier, well Mike goes to many major tourneys and displays cues therefore he builds examples for the masses. The normal player usually plays with around a 20 oz. cue, so that may explain the issue about weight. Also I guarentee if you have a specific weight desired Mike will build it for you. How do I know.....I sold Mike's cues for years and also have been to his shop.

"The Hitman" Perry Fisher

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I could be way off base on this, but in the past when I was looking for a Jensen to add to my collection, I was told by someone that had owned and resold many Jensens that it was rare to get a Jensen in the under 19.5 oz and 19 oz was pretty much non-existent. He stated that Mike Johnson intentionally made his cues in the 19.5 and up range because he thought that was the correct weight range they needed to be. I have looked at a lot of Jensens in the past and found that most of them listed at close to 19.5 or heavier, so I took this to be book and quit looking for one. They hit and play great and back when I was in the market, would have added one or more to my collction had I found one in the 18.5-19.0 oz range. Just never found one.

Only for that reason did I quit looking. Today, my financial picture is way upside from what it was in the 90s and early 2000s when I was vaidly collecting, so I can't afford $1000 cues, but if I could and a Jensen came along that I liked at the right weight... I would snap it up.

I have owned many nice cues that I felt the same way about back then. Today I see most of them going for double what i paid for them and I seriously regret ever selling any of them. Klein ( first year cues) , Mottey, Bob Runde, Omen (1st ivory jointed amboynas poiinted in gaboon Pete Ohman made.), Mobley (4 point I ended up giving away for $350 because no one had seriously heard of him except for people in Florida and some others around the world.), this list goes on...

So I guess if I had owned a Jensen back then and sold it cheap like I did a lot of them, today Jensens would be fetching serious attention and big bucks.....Not because I owned one .. just that is the way my luck runs... goes up and becomes way more popular and valuable after I sold mine on the cheap.

Mike tends to lean towards those weights as you mentioned. However, you can find cues less that that. I have two under 19oz.

I feel there is also an element ot luck for some builders getting "hotter" than others. MAny put out similar, high quality products, but for some reason some become more collectable. Could be a matter of style, availability, and price on the secondary market.

I still stand by the fact that Mike and June are some of the nicest people you can deal with. Always honest, and well priced. There aren't many other cues that can compare $ for $. As a buyer, it's great that you can pick them up relatively inexpensively on the secondary market, but it's a shame they don't pull in more.

Presently I'm at 4 Jensens. Love each of them a little bit different!

jim_vielee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Mike has been making cues for 40+ years. I wish the would be worth more on the secondary market.

Rip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tommy...pm sent. I have a beautiful Jensen with green/white Cortland Boti tribute with ivory ferrules and three shafts including one of his old growth shafts that has a slight warp. All three shafts have matching ring work, 5/16x14 SS joint and Mike's famous milk dud tips on all three shafts. I just weighed and with the main player shaft it's 19.1 ounces. A beautiful cue with "the" hit.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Values can be frustrating, no doubt.

But from what I know they playing value of a Jensen is unquestionable, and isn't that what matters?

I have yet to have the pleasure myself but would love to.

ChrisOnline

4 8 15 16 23 42
Silver Member
i have a Jensen that was made in 1990 according to Mike Johnson.. and it weighs 19.1 oz... plays great!

chris

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Mike Johnson (Jensen cues) made me a custom cue a few years ago....
...it was everything I asked for.

Mike is also the most gregarious cue-maker I ever met...I could listen
to his stories all day....many cue-makers are introverted artists.

As to their value...I think they are a good investment.
...his time will come.

NateSchoepf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I passed up a lot of big name cue makers and have been using a Jensen cue for over 12 years now. Never going to sell it.