Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > 14.1 Pool
Reload this Page Jimmy Caras Anecdote
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Jimmy Caras Anecdote
Old
  (#1)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Jimmy Caras Anecdote - 08-15-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by my father awhile ago, but he recently updated it. Hope you like it:

CARAS RUNS 100

It was a bitter cold, windy night in Ithaca, New York in the fall of 1948. At the Student Union in Cornell University a crowd of about 60 students and a few faculty had gathered in a large room containing a dozen pool tables to see an exhibition by Jimmy Caras. A freezing Canadian winter wind was hurtling down Lake Cayuga and across the campus as Jimmy arrived with his “manager,” both wearing heavy coats, scarfs, gloves, hats – the works.
The manager made the following startling announcement in a loud voice: “Mr. Caras will now run 100 balls.” You could hear a distinct murmur spread across the room. Meanwhile Jimmy has removed his coat and is screwing his cue together, still not saying a word. I figured that he just didn’t speak English which is why the manager had made that announcement. A hush then descended on the crowd.
I don’t think the whole thing took more than 15 minutes. He never took a practice shot – just broke the balls and started running. The manager counted off the score and announced the next ball to be pocketed, as they used to do in tournaments. When Caras hit 100 the whole place burst into wild applause. He bowed to the crowd, unscrewed the cue, put it into its case and disappeared into the night, again without saying a word. A really amazing moment for all of us neophytes who had never seen anything like it.

John White

Dan White

Last edited by Dan White; 04-08-2020 at 09:04 AM.

JC 100 and out
Old
  (#2)
MCP
AzB Silver Member
MCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond reputeMCP has a reputation beyond repute

JC 100 and out - 08-15-2014, 08:09 PM

Those guys back then were at a level I don't think will ever see again in 14.1 ---
Nice Post -- old school stuff
MCP

Old
  (#3)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
My father has posted this short story before, but updated it recently. Hope you like it:

CARAS RUNS 100

It was a bitter cold, windy night in Ithaca, New York in the fall of 1948. At the Student Union in Cornell University a crowd of about 60 students and a few faculty had gathered in a large room containing a dozen pool tables to see an exhibition by Jimmy Caras. A freezing Canadian winter wind was hurtling down Lake Cayuga and across the campus as Jimmy arrived with his “manager,” both wearing heavy coats, scarfs, gloves, hats – the works.
The manager made the following startling announcement in a loud voice: “Mr. Caras will now run 100 balls.” You could hear a distinct murmur spread across the room. Meanwhile Jimmy has removed his coat and is screwing his cue together, still not saying a word. I figured that he just didn’t speak English which is why the manager had made that announcement. A hush then descended on the crowd.
I don’t think the whole thing took more than 15 minutes. He never took a practice shot – just broke the balls and started running. The manager counted off the score and announced the next ball to be pocketed, as they used to do in tournaments. When Caras hit 100 the whole place burst into wild applause. He bowed to the crowd, unscrewed the cue, put it into its case and disappeared into the night, again without saying a word. A really amazing moment for all of us neophytes who had never seen anything like it.

John White
Both he and Mosconi were amazing that way. They never failed to run 100 or more in any exhibition! These were the masters of 14.1, along with Crane and Cranfield at that time. I saw Jimmy in 1963 at Oklahoma U. He had been retired from tournament pool about ten years but vowed to come back and play again, saying these new guys weren't that good. A year or so later (at age 57) he entered the U.S. Open Straight Pool and won! You can look it up.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#4)
MVPCues
AzB Silver Member

MVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond reputeMVPCues has a reputation beyond repute

08-15-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
Both he and Mosconi were amazing that way. They never failed to run 100 or more in any exhibition! These were the masters of 14.1, along with Crane and Cranfield at that time. I saw Jimmy in 1963 at Oklahoma U. He had been retired from tournament pool about ten years but vowed to come back and play again, saying these new guys weren't that good. A year or so later (at age 57) he entered the U.S. Open Straight Pool and won! You can look it up.
Jay, you give anyone the breaks and last 4 (and run over them) when it comes to billiard lore and knowledge of noteworthy players.

Thanks to the OP for a neat post. I can image the whole scence from the description.

Kelly Peterson

To purchase Tomahawk material:http://mvpcues.com/tomahawk.php

Old
  (#5)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-15-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
Those guys back then were at a level I don't think will ever see again in 14.1 --- Nice Post -- old school stuff MCP
Well, maybe. At this last BCA Trade Show in Louisville, John Schmidt was in the Championship Cloth booth trying some straight pool on cloth that had a US Marines motif printed on it. I got to rack for him. 179 on his third try. The previous time I racked for John at a trade show, he had a 182 and I think it was his first try.

I think we will see a lot less of 14.1 unless a miracle happens and it becomes a major championship game again.

A Caras story.... In 1998 I was in Jacksonville for a week and I had heard that Jimmy Caras was living there with his daughter. I called him up and he agreed to meet me at the pool hall and give me a lesson. He was 90 at the time. He mentioned that he had managed a run of 37 recently. The lesson was largely about ball order, but what I mostly remember is the amazing action he got on the cue ball on the standard side-of-the-rack break shots. And the lessons were $20/hour and he apologized for charging that much.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
14-1StraightMan
High Run 127
14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute14-1StraightMan has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2014, 06:27 AM

I heard many stories about Jimmy Caras from my mentor Leroy Kinman..... He, Jimmy, Mosconi & the wives were all good friends. From the Old School stories that were told to me, Jimmy Caras was a beautiful person when playing the game and in Life.

Old
  (#7)
alphadog
AzB Silver Member
alphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond reputealphadog has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2014, 07:08 AM

Great thread.

A bull without horns is still dangerous.

Law of logical arguement-Anything is possible when you dont know what you are talking about.

Old
  (#8)
Nostroke
AzB Silver Member
Nostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond reputeNostroke has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 10475
  Send a message via MSN to Nostroke  
08-16-2014, 07:10 AM

I heard he taught Corey quite a bit when they both lived in Philly.

So Corey will likely be the last great pool player to have a real connection to the 'Mosconi Era' players maybe

Last edited by Nostroke; 03-31-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Old
  (#9)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Caras published a trick shot booklet in 1948 that was in print in several editions through 1980. Here are some scans from the 1948 version:

Front cover:
Name:  Caras 001.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  27.0 KB

Back cover with Mosconi and Charlie Peterson:
Name:  Caras 002.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  23.1 KB

Bio:
Name:  Caras 004.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  62.3 KB

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#10)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

08-16-2014, 12:59 PM

I've never heard anything but good about Jimmy Caras! I met Mosconi more than once but never got to meet Caras.

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#11)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

08-16-2014, 05:04 PM

If Mosconi and Crane did not exist would we be talking about Jimmy as the best of his era?
Heres a story I got second hand.
Jimmy was selling billiards supplies at one time for i think Blatt out of NYC.
He stops in at a pool room in Belmar NJ and gets into a bit of an argument with the house loud mouth.The loud mouth says something like "You are just an old man what do you know about pool?"Loud mouth does not know it's Jimmy Caras.This was decades before the internet.Maybe the late 50's or early 60's. not sure.
So of course they match up and the loud mouth is soon busted.
Like I said its a second hand story told to me years ago and that's the best I can remember but you get the drift.

New cue-Schmelke custom Bocote merry widow
Best of the bunch- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey
I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

Willie said I will only say this...when I beat Ralph, they would say it was because he was drinking....but every time he beat me, he was drinking too.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#12)
DavidMNienow
Glamour Dave
DavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond reputeDavidMNienow has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to DavidMNienow  
08-17-2014, 02:34 AM

I had the honor of meeting Mr. Caras a couple of times while attending BCA trade shows in the 90's. He could be found at the Brunswick booth. And each time I met him he presented himself as a wonderful gracious gentleman. I got autographed pics from him and was very kind to answering any questions asked. Those will always be fond memories for me.

My Playing Cues: Phillippi, Runde, Schon, Coker
My Case: 4x8 butterfly case
My Tools: Ultimate Chalker, Ultimate Tip Tool, Q-Wiz
Other Cues: Nova - McDermott - Falcon
Home Pool Room: Rack'em, Medford, Oregon.
See my work online at:
http://www.TheFineArtofGlamour.com
http://www.facebook.com/glamourdave

Old
  (#13)
G&M
AzB Silver Member
G&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond reputeG&M has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2014, 12:45 PM

Bob Maidhoff was a close personal friend of Jimmy Caras for many years. Bob has many great stories about Mr. Caras, and Bob's room -- Drexeline Billiards in Drexel Hill, PA -- has fantastic Jimmy Caras memorabilia on display.

Larry Moy

Old
  (#14)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

08-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCP View Post
Those guys back then were at a level I don't think will ever see again in 14.1 ---
Nice Post -- old school stuff
MCP

We've already seen it in Mizerak and Sigel. Both could run then 100 on command any time they cared to, and did so on a very regular basis in competition, in exhibitions and in practice.

Still, who knows whether you are right? There are some 14.1 giants out there right now. There are also emerging giants in 14.1. Just a week ago at Steinway Billiards, Darren Appleton won the race to 200 final at the by running 70 and 131.

Today's players shoot straighter than those of yesteryear, so there's no reason to rule out that they could, one day, surpass the level if the old masters.

We shall see what the future brings.

Last edited by sjm; 08-17-2014 at 03:46 PM.

Old
  (#15)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

08-17-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
We've already seen it in Mizerak and Sigel. Both could run then 100 on command any time they cared to, and did so on a very regular basis in competition, in exhibitions and in practice. ...
But not always: http://www.billiardsdigest.com/curre...05/story_5.php

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: