Another question about your runs

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Okay, here's another one: when you do have one of your longer runs, what have you identified -- maybe even said something to yourself about -- as the difference maker? What approach to your play is better when you have your longer runs? In my case, I am almost always aware that I slowed things down. No other factor -- concentration on some aspect of aiming, or shotmaking, or positional play (e.g., focusing on avoiding hitting another ball or balls after pocketing the object ball) -- comes even close as a repeating factor associated with my higher runs. For me, every one of my higher runs has been at my slower tempo.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My tempo goes little faster after I get 50+ normally. I get on stroke. Not always. It depends layouts. If balls spread nicely tempo goes up. If they don´t, I normally have to think a lot because problem solving. My 154 I played slower to 100, after that I went rocket mode.
I stay out from trouble. (Try) Playing so I can´t get bad luck. :rolleyes:

MiscueBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got great nights of sleep sleep in the days leading up to my best runs! I was calm, focused and having fun. Visualizing hard shots and making them while automatically hitting the easy ones. Always thinking several shots ahead. It's all in the sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got great nights of sleep sleep in the days leading up to my best runs! I was calm, focused and having fun. Visualizing hard shots and making them while automatically hitting the easy ones. Always thinking several shots ahead. It's all in the sleep.

Agree wholeheartedly!

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Another question should be:

how do runs end most of the time.

1. Missed Shots
  2. Missed Position
  3. No Available Shot

-Steve

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
My longer tournament runs always have a relaxed, almost zen-like tone. I'm meticulous because I'm playing a tournament but I can relax and don't feel almost any pressure, even when the finish line is in sight. That must be one of the reasons every single one of my 45+ tournament runs have ended when I have ran out the match, my highest being 74-out from 1-53 down to 75-53. For some reason I can't find the same set of mind when practising, I'm still yet to run a hundred. Ever. :embarrassed2:
Played the Finnish champs a week and a half ago and managed to run another "out", this time 53-out. Felt relaxed and comfortable the whole way. I don't think my rhythm is different or anything, somehow the longer run is "waiting to come out", like pre-programmed and then you just unleash it on your opponent.

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

That's an excellent point!

However one puts it, there are days on which one is focused from the get-go, and others when this is not the case. Either way, a little something has to go right, by which I mean, the balls break well, one isn't continually presented with something borderline after the breaks. It doesn't so much matter if the first few racks are tough, on the contrary, that helps me get in solution-oriented mode.

But there are days where I'm in a perfect mood and am inevitably stopped by horror scenarios after a per se well-executed break (in the sense that if I set up the same again and try to execute it the same way again to see if there's a better way, it turns out that no, I'd better do what I did the next time, and pray for the Pool Gods to have mercy on my poor soul…).

To put it another way, I've run three-digits when not much seemed to go my way, but my best runs are ones in which I didn't have to do trick shots or find dead balls in the stack to bail me out of trouble. My best runs may start out rough but then everything becomes easy, all shots even a beginner, or for that matter, I can make… ;)

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
My tempo goes little faster after I get 50+ normally. I get on stroke. Not always. It depends layouts. If balls spread nicely tempo goes up. If they don´t, I normally have to think a lot because problem solving. My 154 I played slower to 100, after that I went rocket mode.
I stay out from trouble. (Try) Playing so I can´t get bad luck. :rolleyes:

I also have a fast tempo
My high runs have been very fast and I play best when not thinking to much,
Just running the rack correctly and not over complicating it
One of my runs was a 104 in under 24 minutes I have had higher runs but don't know time frame