For those that play with custom cues

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I have a question, because I have a cue coming shortly.

Heard many reviews on these, everyone who has one says they play as good as if not better than they look, which is really saying something.

Here's the kicker....I've never personally shot with one! I'm so nervous, but I'm sure that I'll adjust to it, right?
Someone tell me to calm down over here!! Was this bad form of me? Or am thinking wayyy too much about this??

Thanks all,

Shooter32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who is the builder you went with? That might help everyone ease your mind ... 🤘

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Are you related to JustinB, by chance?

Take a deep breath. After reading all the directions that come with the cue, you should be able to get used to it within a couple years.

Jk of course. It is a wooden stick with a tip on it. Probably is going to play somewhat similar to your old cue.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
Are you related to JustinB, by chance?

Take a deep breath. After reading all the directions that come with the cue, you should be able to get used to it within a couple years.

Jk of course. It is a wooden stick with a tip on it. Probably is going to play somewhat similar to your old cue.

Haha! Thanks. I was just having a brief moment that's all. And no I'm not related to JustinB (or I would be putting everything in parenthesis like this)

:cool::cool:

I'm sure it'll play fantastic and I'll have a review for you all by a couple weeks into it. Super excited!

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
I test-hit a few cues from various custom makers at a Vegas trade show before deciding upon my Ariel Carmeli. And yes, they all played a bit different. Just like the difference between a house cue, Z-shaft and a OB shaft. Lots of difference in feel, hit, sound, and personal preference is the deciding factor.

Whatever you bought (Assuming your choice is an air-cooled, rear-engined classic German car. And by that we mean a Volkswagen Beetle with one plug wire missing. It's the people's car... assuming those people aren't in any hurry.) will most surely play different than what you shoot with now. How you enjoy it is personal preference.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
I test-hit a few cues from various custom makers at a Vegas trade show before deciding upon my Ariel Carmeli. And yes, they all played a bit different. Just like the difference between a house cue, Z-shaft and a OB shaft. Lots of difference in feel, hit, sound, and personal preference is the deciding factor.

Whatever you bought (Assuming your choice is an air-cooled, rear-engined classic German car. And by that we mean a Volkswagen Beetle with one plug wire missing. It's the people's car... assuming those people aren't in any hurry.) will most surely play different than what you shoot with now. How you enjoy it is personal preference.

Very well put! Thanks everyone for easing my minor anxiety driven post.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can and will get used to anything. Try it and if you don't like it, sell it and give a different maker a try. The nice thing about custom cues is if you get the right person to build it, it's not like a car where you lose a lot of value the moment you drive off the lot. It should be fairly easy to sell unless you have a terrible aesthetic and your cue is wildwood into grey stained maple with vomit and baby poo colored veneers or something like that.

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Heard many reviews on these, everyone who has one says they play as good as if not better than they look, which is really saying something.

Here's the kicker....I've never personally shot with one! I'm so nervous, but I'm sure that I'll adjust to it, right?
Someone tell me to calm down over here!! Was this bad form of me? Or am thinking wayyy too much about this??

Thanks all,

il_570xN.168061569.jpg

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
You can and will get used to anything. Try it and if you don't like it, sell it and give a different maker a try. The nice thing about custom cues is if you get the right person to build it, it's not like a car where you lose a lot of value the moment you drive off the lot. It should be fairly easy to sell unless you have a terrible aesthetic and your cue is wildwood into grey stained maple with vomit and baby poo colored veneers or something like that.

Absolutely right on that point. I would be extremely reluctant to sell what I ordered. With all the other positive comments and your encouraging first sentence, I think you have a great point. It involved more of me putting down the cue I'm used to shooting with and picking this one up. After a few "once-around-the-blocks" I'm sure I'll be driving it like a Cadillac.

.....Or driving it like I stole it....... then we'd have to get the California street vendors involved!!:rolleyes:

klone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Congrats! There will be some adjustment time, so don't get frustrated too easily. Also, give it a chance with different shafts and/or tips before making any judgment.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Take GOOD CARE of her !

Make her feel special. Play her only on the "home" or "favorite" table. Get to know "her" intimately.
Don't use the cue on League night where some schmuck passing by with a beer in their hand happens to send it crashing to the floor,(or worse)! :mad:

You'l be surprised how well you will get to know what a cue is all about....

THEN,... you can take her out to tournaments and enjoy the unique characteristics of your cue. :smile:

OR, ...... it could be a total piece of junk, aka flashy firewood.

Good luck, enjoy the experience !

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How involved were you in deciding not how the cue was to be built but rather the weight & size specifications?
If the cue-maker made the choice, you are probably going to be happy but there is some risk on how much you
like the way the cue plays and feels. Presuming you had a say in how the cue was built, and presuming you
knew what you wanted, then the odds of being happy soar......otherwise you have a cue built for anyone, not
just for you........it's like a standard lie on aset of custom golf clubs.....duh? Get fitted and have the clubs built right.
Order a cue & make sure you tell the cue-maker what the cue specs should be or else settle for the cue-maker's standards.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Thanks all,

OMG!! A custom cue!!?? Don't play with it!! Just put it down and walk away slowly! What the hell were you thinking??

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard it's best to soak them in warm water for 3 days before the first chalking.