Simple patterns

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to teach a member of our 8-ball league team how to advance his skills. He can pocket balls fairly well. From my perspective, his biggest problem is that he does not recognize patterns that more experienced players understand naturally. Each table layout is a new problem that he tries to solve each time at the table. Recently, he had a 3 OB pattern to handle where he missed an opportunity for a free ball. We are trying to teach 8-ball strategy when he is limited in tactical skills for stringing together just a few balls at a time.

I have books like The 99 Critical Shots and Byrne’s Complete Book of Pool Shots. I also have Phil Capelle’s book on 8-ball. But handing those books to a beginner and expecting them to absorb and make use of that many shot types of such varied complexity is too much to expect. Too many books start out teaching how to hold a cue and shoot a stop shot and later in the same book are demonstrating how to turn a carom into a masse. Is there a book (or just a few chapters of a book) that teaches less experienced players some basic 2 object ball patterns to practice which could elevate their games substantially?

Sorry if the request is vague. Your insights would be appreciated. These are players for whom 8-ball is a casual pastime and who are not likely to take lessons. This particular player has a table at home but may not be making the best use of his practice time.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe instead of learning patterns your player should learn routes. It's hard to put the entire pattern together if you don't understand 1, 2 and 3 rail routes.

Someone here mentioned that the same shots come up over and over again. Learn them and the patterns kind of build themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I would teach various leaves off simple shots to get position on a single ball. I still do this often.

Once proficient, put three balls out and tell him to run out.

After doing that well, throw out 3 solid balls and put out a stripe as a blocker somewhere.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If the standard 3 ball drill is tool hard, try the 2 ball drill. Same fundamentals.

Spot two balls on the table, one at the kitchen spot and rack spot. Designate a pocket for each ball. Start off with Ball in Hand, object is make the first ball to give you position on the 2nd ball that would give you position to get back to the first ball.

Re-spot the balls pocketed and see how long you can keep it up. You can make it easier by not designating a pocket, or harder by changing the pocket after each shot. 1 point for making the ball in the right pocket, otherwise pocketing the ball just continues your turn.

When it becomes too predictable making either from kitchen or rack spot, you can move onto the 3 ball drill.

You can also check out Bullseye Billiards
https://bullseyebilliards.net/

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am trying to teach a member of our 8-ball league team how to advance his skills. He can pocket balls fairly well. From my perspective, his biggest problem is that he does not recognize patterns that more experienced players understand naturally. Each table layout is a new problem that he tries to solve each time at the table. Recently, he had a 3 OB pattern to handle where he missed an opportunity for a free ball. We are trying to teach 8-ball strategy when he is limited in tactical skills for stringing together just a few balls at a time.

I have books like The 99 Critical Shots and Byrne’s Complete Book of Pool Shots. I also have Phil Capelle’s book on 8-ball. But handing those books to a beginner and expecting them to absorb and make use of that many shot types of such varied complexity is too much to expect. Too many books start out teaching how to hold a cue and shoot a stop shot and later in the same book are demonstrating how to turn a carom into a masse. Is there a book (or just a few chapters of a book) that teaches less experienced players some basic 2 object ball patterns to practice which could elevate their games substantially?

Sorry if the request is vague. Your insights would be appreciated. These are players for whom 8-ball is a casual pastime and who are not likely to take lessons. This particular player has a table at home but may not be making the best use of his practice time.

For a lot of beginning and even intermediate 8ball players it's a case of the old adage: If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

It's true that simple, elegant patterns are a result of experience, knowledge, and insight but they're also a byproduct of having more tools -- IOWs being able to confidently execute a wider array of shots and position plays.

My recommendation would be to tell him to practice 14.1 at home. When he gets to the point of being able to consistently run a couple of racks, his patterns will improve.

Lou Figueroa

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
For a lot of beginning and even intermediate 8ball players it's a case of the old adage: If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

It's true that simple, elegant patterns are a result of experience, knowledge, and insight but they're also a byproduct of having more tools -- IOWs being able to confidently execute a wider array of shots and position plays.

My recommendation would be to tell him to practice 14.1 at home. When he gets to the point of being able to consistently run a couple of racks, his patterns will improve.

Lou Figueroa
To add to that point, I've had students who wanted to learn strategy at 8 ball who were not able to play simple stop shots. Until the player can play at least a little position, there is no point in trying to develop pattern recognition. Maybe they will run into a few situations where the order is important, but if they still struggle to keep the cue ball on the correct end of the table, discussing more advanced plays, like drawing the cue ball over to the side cushion for straight in shape, is a waste of time.

Help them develop a basic position skill set and then start applying it to playing situations.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Maybe when I can consistently run more than two racks in 14.1, I'll feel more comfortable trying to teach novice players.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

I have to add... George Fels book has a great section on straight pool and the section on
A ... B....C .... balls is very pertinent to this OP's query .... I would add to that knowledge of tangent lines is also a critical piece of info. Another really good tool IMO is Jerry Breisath's drill of starting with 3 balls and running them in order (I know rotation and 8 ball are totally different) is a very good building block for any game.

Td

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to that point, I've had students who wanted to learn strategy at 8 ball who were not able to play simple stop shots. Until the player can play at least a little position, there is no point in trying to develop pattern recognition. Maybe they will run into a few situations where the order is important, but if they still struggle to keep the cue ball on the correct end of the table, discussing more advanced plays, like drawing the cue ball over to the side cushion for straight in shape, is a waste of time.

Help them develop a basic position skill set and then start applying it to playing situations.

I agree and think what I am looking for is basic. But rather than only teaching stop, follow, draw, left, right, my hope was that practicing a few simple two ball position drills would cement them in their minds as basic skills. The attached picture highlights the situation that stimulated me to post.

In the set up, the player was faced with the following 3 balls. Just as his time was expiring, he bent down and shot the 4-ball. He made the shot and walked the ball forward a bit for a good shot on the 7. But the 3-ball was still sitting on the rail to be handled later, which he never got the chance. When I see two balls near a rail like the 3 and 4 in this picture, I think of them as a single unit. Hit the 3 first lightly with a little backspin and the cue ball comes back up the the same line it sits on now. From my perspective, the 3-ball is a free ball. Easy to pocket and easy to set up for the 4. He sees the the 3 as just another ball on the table to be handled whenever he gets the chance. I can think of other common positions that might be worth adding to practice sessions.

Thanks to the responders for your comments. When I get the chance, I will check out the suggestions. Maybe I will start compiling my own set-ups.

Attachments

• 0924171726 8ball pattern.jpg
    0924171726 8ball pattern.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 414

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This cannot be learned through books honestly, it must be pounded into your brain after many frustrating failed run outs. Only practice will teach pattern play. I have a drill where I randomly through 3 balls on the table and put my cue ball right in center table, then designate the pattern I'm going to runout with. Then with 4,5,6 and so on. Then add blocking balls too.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks to the responders for your comments. When I get the chance, I will check out the suggestions. Maybe I will start compiling my own set-ups.
The Billiard University material has some patterns to solve. They may be a little too hard for what you're after but they may give you some ideas.

frankncali

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I think is helpful is to rack up 9 ball or 10 ball or 11 ball and break. If any of the stripes go bring them back up or leave them down.

IMO it simulates more common games of 8 ball where you get to the table and the opposition has left you your smalls plus 1-3 of theirs.

Helps me learn patterns to get rid of trouble balls and routes around the table which can be blocked by practicing with all stripes and solids on the table.
Of course as one gets better adding balls until all are in play is the goal.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe when I can consistently run more than two racks in 14.1, I'll feel more comfortable trying to teach novice players.

I think regardless of our level of play we can always lend a hand up to a player just a little further down the mountain.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to add... George Fels book has a great section on straight pool and the section on
A ... B....C .... balls is very pertinent to this OP's query .... I would add to that knowledge of tangent lines is also a critical piece of info. Another really good tool IMO is Jerry Breisath's drill of starting with 3 balls and running them in order (I know rotation and 8 ball are totally different) is a very good building block for any game.

Td

lol, I actually saw your original unedited post earlier.

It's all fine and thanks for the kind and even the not so kind words.

Lou Figueroa

PoppaSaun

Banned

That is utterly ridiculous. To hear an instructor say that there is no reason to develop pattern recognition until they have the skills to pull it off is asinine. Learning is not that compartmentalized. Toddlers will try to run before they can reliably walk.

I contend that pattern recognition is exactly why a person would spend time learning how to stop, follow, and draw.

A waste of time to discuss more advanced plays...wow...from an instructor...craptacular.

PoppaSaun

Banned
I agree and think what I am looking for is basic. But rather than only teaching stop, follow, draw, left, right, my hope was that practicing a few simple two ball position drills would cement them in their minds as basic skills. The attached picture highlights the situation that stimulated me to post.

In the set up, the player was faced with the following 3 balls. Just as his time was expiring, he bent down and shot the 4-ball. He made the shot and walked the ball forward a bit for a good shot on the 7. But the 3-ball was still sitting on the rail to be handled later, which he never got the chance. When I see two balls near a rail like the 3 and 4 in this picture, I think of them as a single unit. Hit the 3 first lightly with a little backspin and the cue ball comes back up the the same line it sits on now. From my perspective, the 3-ball is a free ball. Easy to pocket and easy to set up for the 4. He sees the the 3 as just another ball on the table to be handled whenever he gets the chance. I can think of other common positions that might be worth adding to practice sessions.

In this particular setup, I expect that many lower level players would play the four first. This isn't necessarily because they don't see the better pattern, but because they get nervous when the path to the pocket requires that the OB pass relatively close to another ball.

In your scenario, you didn't show where the opponent's balls are, or where the eight is. I can think of many scenarios in which I would play the 4,7,3...it is an extremely easy pattern, depending on obstacles.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That is utterly ridiculous. To hear an instructor say that there is no reason to develop pattern recognition until they have the skills to pull it off is asinine. Learning is not that compartmentalized. Toddlers will try to run before they can reliably walk.

I contend that pattern recognition is exactly why a person would spend time learning how to stop, follow, and draw.

A waste of time to discuss more advanced plays...wow...from an instructor...craptacular.
Some players not only can't do short stop shots fairly consistently but don't even know that such shots exist. The priorities for players like that is to develop a consistent stroke, learn how to aim (a gradual process), and develop a little speed control.

It's fine to point out some examples to such players where picking the right order of shots is useful, but if the cue ball keeps ending up two or three feet from where intended because of lack of speed control, spending a lot of time working on patterns is not useful. It is better to spend the time on developing the skills necessary to do two-ball "patterns".

I saw a good example of overkill on pattern discussion in a league match. The APA 3 was facing a not so hard table with all balls close to pockets but they seemed perplexed. The coach (a 5?) called a time out and proceeded to explain the out in detail, using draw and little right off the 3 to come over to the rail there for the 7 and a little follow for the 6. The shooter missed the hanger 3.

I think an instructor has to work on the student's most limiting weaknesses first.