It's George SS joints

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Bill Schick cue that has two of my favorite playing shafts that I would like to use more often. The butt of the cue is a too fancy for league play. The cue has a SS joint with a pin that is nominally 5/16x14. I own four cues with 5/16x14 SS joints and my Schick shafts do not fit any of the other three butts that were not made by Bill; they won’t even start to screw together. Placing the pins next to each other, I am comfortable they are all the same 14 pitch.

Occasionally, I see simple It’s George cues up for sale that might interest me if they could fit my Schick shafts. I am not trying to imply that Bill was directly involved in the production of It's George cues. I don’t have much confidence that a seller would understand and effectively answer my concern. So I have several ways of asking the same question. Does anybody know:

Does an It’s George 5/16x14 butt mate with an older Schick shaft?

Were It’s George 5/16x14 pins sourced from Bill or from whatever source Bill used at the time?

Do It’s George 5/16x14 shafts fit pins from other cuemakers that are 5/16x14?

I will appreciate whatever feedback I can get. Thanks.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Bill Schick cue that has two of my favorite playing shafts that I would like to use more often. The butt of the cue is a too fancy for league play. The cue has a SS joint with a pin that is nominally 5/16x14. I own four cues with 5/16x14 SS joints and my Schick shafts do not fit any of the other three butts that were not made by Bill; they won’t even start to screw together. Placing the pins next to each other, I am comfortable they are all the same 14 pitch.

Occasionally, I see simple It’s George cues up for sale that might interest me if they could fit my Schick shafts. I am not trying to imply that Bill was directly involved in the production of It's George cues. I don’t have much confidence that a seller would understand and effectively answer my concern. So I have several ways of asking the same question. Does anybody know:

Does an It’s George 5/16x14 butt mate with an older Schick shaft?

Were It’s George 5/16x14 pins sourced from Bill or from whatever source Bill used at the time?

Do It’s George 5/16x14 shafts fit pins from other cuemakers that are 5/16x14?

I will appreciate whatever feedback I can get. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure he was involved. At least in the beginning anyway. But to answer your question. Mr. Schick and It's George have the same size joint screw. Approx. .302x14. Might even be .298x14. I have screws. I make the inserts for my restorations as needed. Schon shafts may also interchange

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure he was involved. At least in the beginning anyway. But to answer your question. Mr. Schick and It's George have the same size joint screw. Approx. .302x14. Might even be .298x14. I have screws. I make the inserts for my restorations as needed. Schon shafts may also interchange

Thanks for the response. We had spoken about the major diameter differences in Schick join screws when you refinished my cue (thanks, again). Recently, I must have had a "senior moment", but I screwed up (pun intended) my measurements of the pins of my other cue butts. I just checked again and the three non-Schick joint screws are 0.305-0.308" and the Schick is 0.300". Sorry to make you repeat what I remember you telling me in the past.

I also recall your telling me that at least older Schon joint screws were also smaller than the majority of 5/16-14s. I had the opportunity to try fit one of my Schick shafts on an older Schon butt and it still would not.

The part I do not recall discussing was whether or not It's George used a similar joint screw as Bill Schick. Thanks for the information. I'll keep on the look out for when a cue becomes available.

Greg

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the response. We had spoken about the major diameter differences in Schick join screws when you refinished my cue (thanks, again). Recently, I must have had a "senior moment", but I screwed up (pun intended) my measurements of the pins of my other cue butts. I just checked again and the three non-Schick joint screws are 0.305-0.308" and the Schick is 0.300". Sorry to make you repeat what I remember you telling me in the past.

I also recall your telling me that at least older Schon joint screws were also smaller than the majority of 5/16-14s. I had the opportunity to try fit one of my Schick shafts on an older Schon butt and it still would not.

The part I do not recall discussing was whether or not It's George used a similar joint screw as Bill Schick. Thanks for the information. I'll keep on the look out for when a cue becomes available.

Greg

Hi Greg
Your welcome. I have plenty of screws if you ever need one. Pretty sure they're around .298x14. Got them when Mali closed.