Sliding into the shot vs toeing the line ??

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lately I have heard of "sliding into the shot" as part of a preshot routine, what does this entail?

#Not a aiming thread;)

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stepping into the shot?

That ^

Many times I see a player line up funny, walk into the shot from the side or just shoot without checking over the shot and my head is going "well, I guess I'll be shooting after this one" LOL. Much of the time I am correct.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That ^

Many times I see a player line up funny, walk into the shot from the side or just shoot without checking over the shot and my head is going "well, I guess I'll be shooting after this one" LOL. Much of the time I am correct.
Standing too close to table and then "backing in" to your stance is also a shot killer. See this ALL the time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Lately I have heard of "sliding into the shot" as part of a preshot routine, what does this entail?

#Not a aiming thread;)
I've never heard of it before. I hope it doesn't mean "crabbing" in from the side. I think that guarantees that many shots will start out misaligned.

I've also never heard of "toeing the line" as part of the shot routine.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Y
I've never heard of it before. I hope it doesn't mean "crabbing" in from the side. I think that guarantees that many shots will start out misaligned.

I believe Mark Wilson advocates toeing the shot line ?
I believe Tyler Styr made a comment about being taught to slide into the shot?
Both know a little about playing.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Someone watching snooker instruction.

Freddie <~~~ advocate of the toe

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

I've never heard of it before.
I've heard it used to mean "place your stick on the shot line and slide your bridge hand up under it".

Pointing your front foot parallel to the shot line?

Placing your rear foot on the shot line?

Accepting the authority, principles, or policies of a particular group, especially under pressure?

pj <- no clue
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe Mark Wilson advocates toeing the shot line ? ...
He recommends having the toes of the back foot even with the shot line. He uses the special phrase "up to the line" for this. Maybe "toe the line" is also used for this technique. Wilson does not recommend any "sliding" when getting into position.

It seems to me that any sliding, like sliding the bridge hand forward towards the cue ball as the stance comes down on the table, is independent from where the back foot ends up.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The phrase was, “sweeping into the shot” and no, I’m of getting sucked into an aiming thread.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

#Not a aiming thread;)

Depending on where the cb and ob are, I may walk into the shot or step onto shot line and then drop straight down or gradually descend (think of airplane landing) to table.

Then again, sometimes, I may do both by walking into and then step onto and then slide into or drop into position.

Some people say and even believe they do the same thing every time (PSR) but, truth be told, EVERYONE does something different each and every time. Sure, the stronger the player, the harder it is to spot that "something different" but, it's there.

Jeff

Limeymc

Registered
I also do it like a plane landing. It helps me see and stay on the shot line going down

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk