Questions on Dining Conversions - CB La Condo / SW Florida Dealers

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a number of years without a table at all, my wife and I may have agreed on a path forward. To work, we need to get a table that realistically converts to a dining table, and must look like nice furniture. For me it must be a nice table as well, 8' or preferably 9'.

After a lot of web surfing, Canada Billiard's La Condo Louts looks like a possibility. If we have it made without the curved board under the table, it has an acceptably thin profile (about 7.25"), and if we drop it one inch from standard (which puts it up about 1-2" from a dining table and add slightly taller chairs, sitting at it is comfortable. If I can talk her into the plain La Condo it's just slightly under 7" (and a lot cheaper but plain looking).

We visited a dealer and my wife was surprisingly happy with how it looked and felt. Hurdle one passed. We are rearranging furniture and putting outlines on the floor in tape to see if that works; more work on that hurdle.

Let's assume for the moment that as a dining table it can work for us, some questions:

1) How is Canada Billiards in terms of pool table quality? Do they play well? Do they age well and stay square and true?

2) Has anyone specifically tried a La Condo Lotus, or plain La Condo? Opinions/experience?

3) How is Canada Billiards to deal with if something later goes wrong, or we need a replacement part, etc? I am particularly concerned as I started by asking for a dealer contact on their web site and never heard anything back; just found dealers online. Weird for a company depending on sales.

4) Hoping it is OK to ask about specific retailers: We are considering two roughly equally distant retailers, Robertson Billiards in Tampa and Boynton Billiards in Boynton Beach. Both are CB dealers, but seem to have substance and duration, both say they use their own staff for installs and regularly install in this area. Does anyone have feedback on them, especially with regard to the quality of installation and setup?

And finally:

5) Are there other brands that are worth looking at?

With regard to the latter, we have seen some about half the price, but generally these have been pretty thick -- basically a regular table with wood on top. This makes for a 9" or more thick table that is quite awkward to sit under -- you cannot use a higher chair without hitting your knees, and so your food is up too high. A real requirement for us is getting 7" thick or less. It's also VERY hard online to find this measurement, running around with a tape measure at a dealer is all I can do so far.

Note Fusion had some thin tables but are only in 7' lengths, and not interested in those. At least they responded to an inquiry on their web site!

And of course, any general advice is always welcomed.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did I ask in a bad place, is there more appropriate forum? Or is the subject not appropriate to the site?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Did I ask in a bad place, is there more appropriate forum? Or is the subject not appropriate to the site?

A dining table is to sit as and eat, a pool table is to play pool on, both have extreme differences and i don't care who builds the combo unit, don't expect the table to play like a real pool table. One other thing to think about is the fact that business that build these combo units are in the business of SELLING their produce ONE WAY, and are not interested in any kind of a return or refund if you're dissatisfied with their product as they'll lable the sale as "custom ordered" and you'll be stuck with it no matter what, and the money is already spent, so be warned!

Ps, someone's ALWAYS going to be willing to take your money if you're willing to spend it, don't matter to them if you're not happy with the end product....as long as they can claim it being a "custom order"

Last edited:

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You asked in the right place. I think the problem is that there will be very few of us (if any) who have experience with a hybrid like this. Glen (RKC) who answered your post can be cranky in some of his posts but is a top notch table mechanic. Safe to say that he is right when he says that you are not going to get a great playing table if you are looking at a conversion - any conversion.

That said, it will be a table in your home. And a table in your home that isn't perfect may well be much better in your eyes than no table in your home. If it were me, I would make sure to try to play some games on the table at the showroom and deliberately bump the table. A good table should be pretty impervious to your bump - a cheap table will move or cause the balls to move.

The only other thing I will note is that Canada Billiards does make a commercial table (the Black Crown) which is found in may pool halls up in Canada. It is a far cry from a Diamond or a Gold Crown, but it plays "okay" and they seem to have stood the test of time.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The problem is most dining tables have a service height of about 28"-30" which is close to the playing surface of a pool table, problem is the dining table frame don't have much depth to it because it don't need near the frame to support a slate playing surface, so the dining table is designed to set a chair under it with about 18" between the seat of the chair and the bottom of the table for leg room....and that just don't leave much room for the frame or legs of a pool table to be stable enough to olay pool on. Just think about any pool table built that you can slide a dining chair under and have room to sit at it with your legs under the frame;)

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
La condo tables are not commercial grade tables but for a furniture type they are ok. 1 inch slates are supported by two steel beams and the rails are bolted the same way as any furniture type. You can get it in the 30" (dining height) or 32" (pool height)
Essentially, it's a real pool table that converts in a dining table and not the other way around. I can easily kickshot 5,6 & 7 rails on them when i set them up. Other conversion tables i installed didn't play as good.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you both, really. I prefer a cranky answer to none by far. :wink:

Indeed cranky people usually tell the truth without spin.

I've now been to both dealers and looked at numerous tables. The height issue is indeed what we have spent most time on. Most conversions I have seen run about 8-9" of depth, i.e. from dining table top to where you legs will hit. The Canada Billiards are about 7". That's deep, but not horribly so. The (plain) La Condo is right at 7", most of the other models (e.g. La Condo Lotus) are 7.25".

Both dealers said the "standard" height is 32" for a pool table. At that height, the top adds 1", so at that height your table is 33", and you have 26" underneath. With a 19-20" chair al this works -- your table feels too high, but not grossly so, and there's plenty of room for legs. What I think we will do is cut the playing height to 31", bringing the dining height down just a bit, get slightly shorter chairs (maybe 19"). This takes a fair amount of the "child sitting at the adult table" feeling away, just that one inch. Most importantly my wife seems happy with it, and since we eat at the dining table 3 times a year more or less, I think it will work.

And I do not think (average) people will notice the one inch lower pool height at 30" for the rails top.

The real issue, as @GideonF says, is we will have a conversion, or we will have no pool table at all. When we moved to Florida, we gave up a nice 9' that we had in Virginia as we had no space for it. So we are looking for something decent. We saw some really awful conversions, but Canada Billiards does seem to take it more seriously.

I think we have done a good join looking at them as dining tables; have taken the wife now on two day trips to try various sizes, look at chairs, etc. We've narrowed it down to the La Condo Stainless, which I find very nice looking both with and without the top on. Gorgeous really. As a dining table, except for the height issue, it is really beautiful, much better than what we have now (and "now" is really pretty nice).

So as a dining table we are OK.

What I am less sure of is the quality of it as a pool table. I can say it looks and feels solid. I have crawled over and under, parts look large and heavy duty, all the wood looks like solid hardwood. But I have no idea if it really IS a well built table, and especially if things like the bumpers are good quality, if the leveling mechanisms are good, is there room to staple (?) the fabric on smoothly. Just no clue; I'm an Engineer by trade, but have never done the first bit of maintenance on a pool table. No idea what to look for.

So @realkingcobra, I would certainly love to know if you have worked on any CBB tables? Or heard from others? I know we are getting something of a compromise, but I would rather have no table than a real piece of junk.

This is a personal table; it doesn't have to hold up to 10 hours a day play, or a bad environment with heavy temp/humidity swings. But it's expensive, and I do not want to get a pile of junk for that.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
@kid, thanks; my post above was overlapping yours, sorry.

That sounds encouraging. I'm not sure what makes a commercial table commercial, but ours certainly is for occasional use as a home table. And yes, they say they will do height - 30, 31, 32. I think my wife is set on the 31" compromise, but if I start serving beer a bit earlier to our guests, hopefully no one will notice.

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
Commercial usually means it will resist a hoard of drunken hillbillies.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant AzBilliards Forums

HomeBrewer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chevillotte, maybe?

I've not played a Chevillotte pool table, conversion or not, but I do know from experience that their carom tables play great and are 'commercial' grade.

Some of these look cool -- no idea what it would take to find one in the US but anything can be shipped:

http://www.chevillotte.com/en/nos-billards/

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank you both, really. I prefer a cranky answer to none by far. :wink:

Indeed cranky people usually tell the truth without spin.

I've now been to both dealers and looked at numerous tables. The height issue is indeed what we have spent most time on. Most conversions I have seen run about 8-9" of depth, i.e. from dining table top to where you legs will hit. The Canada Billiards are about 7". That's deep, but not horribly so. The (plain) La Condo is right at 7", most of the other models (e.g. La Condo Lotus) are 7.25".

Both dealers said the "standard" height is 32" for a pool table. At that height, the top adds 1", so at that height your table is 33", and you have 26" underneath. With a 19-20" chair al this works -- your table feels too high, but not grossly so, and there's plenty of room for legs. What I think we will do is cut the playing height to 31", bringing the dining height down just a bit, get slightly shorter chairs (maybe 19"). This takes a fair amount of the "child sitting at the adult table" feeling away, just that one inch. Most importantly my wife seems happy with it, and since we eat at the dining table 3 times a year more or less, I think it will work.

And I do not think (average) people will notice the one inch lower pool height at 30" for the rails top.

The real issue, as @GideonF says, is we will have a conversion, or we will have no pool table at all. When we moved to Florida, we gave up a nice 9' that we had in Virginia as we had no space for it. So we are looking for something decent. We saw some really awful conversions, but Canada Billiards does seem to take it more seriously.

I think we have done a good join looking at them as dining tables; have taken the wife now on two day trips to try various sizes, look at chairs, etc. We've narrowed it down to the La Condo Stainless, which I find very nice looking both with and without the top on. Gorgeous really. As a dining table, except for the height issue, it is really beautiful, much better than what we have now (and "now" is really pretty nice).

So as a dining table we are OK.

What I am less sure of is the quality of it as a pool table. I can say it looks and feels solid. I have crawled over and under, parts look large and heavy duty, all the wood looks like solid hardwood. But I have no idea if it really IS a well built table, and especially if things like the bumpers are good quality, if the leveling mechanisms are good, is there room to staple (?) the fabric on smoothly. Just no clue; I'm an Engineer by trade, but have never done the first bit of maintenance on a pool table. No idea what to look for.

So @realkingcobra, I would certainly love to know if you have worked on any CBB tables? Or heard from others? I know we are getting something of a compromise, but I would rather have no table than a real piece of junk.

This is a personal table; it doesn't have to hold up to 10 hours a day play, or a bad environment with heavy temp/humidity swings. But it's expensive, and I do not want to get a pile of junk for that.

It's best to ask for a list of names of customers who've actually bought the tables you're looking at that way you can get the actual customers opinion of the purchase instead of a sales pitch.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Commercial usually means it will resist a hoard of drunken hillbillies.

Well, SW Florida has no hills, but we certainly have plenty of drunks (and maybe even Hillbillies have to retire somewhere?). I'll take a little extra care then.

Thanks.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's best to ask for a list of names of customers who've actually bought the tables you're looking at that way you can get the actual customers opinion of the purchase instead of a sales pitch.

Hmmm... that's an interesting thought. I hoped a few might be here (of the manufacturer, but who knows, maybe of the retailer). I would not have thought they would give out customer names, but maybe they would (of course ones they think are happy so it's a bit skewed). Can't hurt to ask. Good idea, thanks.

I will say that both retailers had a pretty low key sales pitch. Doesn't mean what they said was truth of course, but I was pleasantly surprised at the "spend some time, check around, we will be here" approach. No "what a deal we can make for you today only".

Thanks again. Off to mark off blue tape where everything is going to go, make sure I didn't drop a decimal in deciding everything will actually fit.